• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by 86ranger4x4owner

1. 86ranger4x4owner

1988 2.9l sputtering

I have a 1988 Ford Ranger 2.9l auto. And after driving it awhile it states to sputter really badly. It idles and sounds like it's misfiring and it takes the gas until about 2k rims then starts to sputter and jerk and you have to put it to the floor to make it smooth out and go but as soon as it...
  2. 86ranger4x4owner

1988 ranger slight rough idle

I have a 88 ranger 2.9l and at idle it has like a slight miss kind of or rough idle its not bad but its noticeable. Could the IAC cause this?I did clean it a few months ago because it was surging at idle. coud it also cause a slight rough idle? also the rough idle goes away after you rev it past...
  3. 86ranger4x4owner

Spark knock or bad lifter

I have a 1988 ford ranger and while in overdrive going up a hill it makes a pinging or metal to metal kind of noise until it downshifts and then it goes away. Could this be a bad lifter or spark knock? It runs fine at idle and going down the road just when going up a hill it does this.
  4. 86ranger4x4owner

compressor cycling on and off

I have a 1988 ford ranger 2.9l and the compressor cycles off and on at idle. the refrigerant is full because I just put a new condenser discharge line and accumulator and orfice tube on it. At idle the compressor cycles on and off and blows hot air at vents. if you rev it up just a little bit it...
  5. 86ranger4x4owner

Filler tube leak

I have an 1988 ford ranger with the automatic A4LD and transmission fluid is coming out where the dipstick tube sits into the transmission. I took it off and see no o-ring. My question is should it have a o-ring or is this type supposed to be pressed in? If it's pressed in what could I use to...
  6. 86ranger4x4owner

Hvac control cable

I have a 88 Ranger and the switch that controls the outside air function is really tough to move from vent to the off position. It is cable operated and the Haynes manual has an adjustment for it. I adjusted it but it's still really stiff and I took it apart and thr cable looks bent. I found a...
  7. 86ranger4x4owner

realy rough idle

I have a 198 ford ranger 2.3l 5 speed. It has a really rough idle. It will idle without cutting off but its really rough and doesn't have enough power to even move. I have replaced whole ignition system. Am thinking its the fuel injectors. I've checked for vacuum leaks and it has none and has...
  8. 86ranger4x4owner

2.3l fuel mileage

Just wondering what you guys are getting with your 2.3l's? I have an 86 4wd 2.3l 5 speed with a 17 gallon tank. Never really calculated how many I get. But anyone else have a 17 gallon tank with same setup? If so how many miles can you get on a full tank and what are the gas mileage rated on...
  9. 86ranger4x4owner

ranger year question

I have an 86 ranger and today looked at door and it says built 12/95. What is this considered? I need a head gasket set but don't know exactly what year. Also where can I find full build date? Like month day and year? Thanks.
  10. 86ranger4x4owner

burnt valve

I have a 1986 ford ranger 2.3l. I have a burnt exhaust valve on cylinder one. Was wondering what all I have to to do the replace it. Can I just replace valve and put new head gasket on or do i need to rebuild anything just to replace one valve?
  11. 86ranger4x4owner

1986 2.3l ranger

I have a 1986 ranger 4x4 5 speed with the 2.3l fuel injected. The problem I have is that it idles good and will start up every time. But when I give it gas it sputters and doesnt have much power. I have replaced timing belt because it was worn but lined everything up right and on the compression...
  12. 86ranger4x4owner

86 2.3l distributor cap

I have a 86 ranger 2.3l. I was looking in my haynes manuel and at the tech library and both have the number one spark plug wire terminal near the power steering pump. My number one is near the throttle body. I still have the same firing order. But i was just wondering which one is right? And if...
  13. 86ranger4x4owner

gas peddle vibration

I have a vibration when i accelerrate and from a stop in my gas peddle. I have a 88 supercsb ranger. Would could cause this? I have done the zip tie trick but could that cause my problem?
  14. 86ranger4x4owner

Best headlight?

I got a 1988 ranger 4x4 supercab. And the stock lights just arent bright enough. I don't want to spend a lot of money on HID's but what is the best and brightest light that I can get just to plug in? I dont want to change the wiring or anything. Anybody got any links to websites or anything? thanks.
  15. 86ranger4x4owner

brighter instrusment panel

I got a 88 ranger with the stock instrument panel and stockight bulbs in it. I was wondering if therr was a way to make it brighter. Also is there a way to change the color? Thanks

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad