• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

4x4 wont engage

rangerdanger.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 02 ranger and i went to use the 4x4 today and it didnt work. Worked all winter. Its the kind you turn the switch to 2, 4 or 4 low. when you turn it to 4wd it doesnt do anthing, no light, no noise. i checked all the fuses that deal with the 4x4.

please help.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
umm.....
from someone who had a similar problem and STILl had not figured out the issue i would suggest reading up on the "how to swap an electric transfer case to a manual transfer case" section!
it is what i ended up doing and, let me tell you, worth every penny!

so lets get to your problem....
i had the same thing with my 95. it was working fine one weekend, then next weekend no 4 wheel drive at all.

first thing to do is check the transfer case motor. disconnect that sucker and make sure it's clean and then hook up a car battery to the power leads and make sure it spins both directions. look in the tech library for help with this.

if this doesnt work then your on to pure electrical problems. now your pulling apart the dash!
in the center console where the radio is, you will have the GEM module, and a...i believe Solenoid. all this controls the 4 wheel drive. there is also a 4 wheel drive control module in the rear cab behind a jumseat (extended cab) or below the rear window buried......or even buried in the trim right next to where the passenger's right foot would be.

Start with the switch itself. it's a limited resistance switch and whole turned will provide different resistances. test this with a good old voltage meter. it helps having a freind into electronics like i do. somewhere in the tech sections or the shop mnual are the correct specs for current.

Locate the 4 wheel drive control module. good luck searching those two or three spots and pulling everything apart, but once you find it.....make sure all connections are clean and free of dirt/grime. theres also a push button to test the sucker. and lastly take a volt meter and start testing.

if this is not the solution, try replacing the solenoid behind the radio outright. they are dirt cheap and easy to replace.

if all three of these things do not cure your problem, nect is the GEM module.
start testing all the current here also. and if you still cant solve it, you can spend 500 dollars on a new GEM module, or hopefully find one second hand!

and then pray to the lord or any other god or god like entity as you replace this that it will cure your problem!

for me it did not so now i have a stick right next to my manual shifter that lets me go into 2 wheel drive, 4 hi and 4 lo and i get to smile and give the dasboard the one finger salute as i do it.

#1greenranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
ok i didnt see any solenoid behind the radio?

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2002 and 2003 were really bad years for 4x4 modules, especially on explorers but your ranger has one too. It's behind the passenger side kick panel. If you have access to a scan tool it will help. Usually when they die, the tool will not even communicate with it. It may be something you will want to pay to have it checked out because they are not cheap and usually can't be returned after you open the box.

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
the Solenoid is just a small square box up in the dashboard. if your going through the radio, you should see the GEM module right there. after removing the GEM module, it's buried down behind it.
the control module can be in any one of the three (or two if it's not an extended cab). it is usually located where hondaxr650 said, but can also be in the back below the window.

99RangerOffRoad

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I recently fixed my 4x4 shift by going in and greasing the gear connected to the shift motor, the old grease was fairly dried up and I guess was doing more harm than good.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I just looked in the wiring diagram. There are no external relays on the 2002. Everything is contained within the 4x4 module. 4X4 operation is not a function of the GEM in 2002. I'm betting on a dead module.

Last edited:

#1greenranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
thanks guys that helped me out a lot!!!!! now just to get a new one.... will one out of a 04 and up work or just 02 and 03?

Guilius

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
Best thing to do is call a ford dealership and ask.
GEM Modules change alot, so newer models are still compatible with older units.

in my case i got a brand new GEM module for alot of cash, and it still didnt work!
i replaced every component in there expect rewiring the damn thing and nothing worked.
welcome to electric shift nightmares.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The 02 has a stand-alone 4x4 module. The GEM has nothing to do with the 4x4 on your truck. I checked with our parts guys and the 02 and 04 does show the same part # for the module.

#1greenranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals