Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Engine & Transmission Forums > V6 Forums > 2.9 Liter Forum

Old 05-07-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
storj24

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger 4x4
storj24 is on a distinguished road
Default 1989 Ranger no fuel to engine Please help

1989 ford ranger 2.9L V6 4x4 manual
I have tried almost everything and cant seen to find the problem the truck was running great but needed a clutch and had some rotted out brake lines so a put the new clutch in it and replaced the brake lines now it wont start all the fusees are good and i couldn't hear the pump turn on so i replaced that as well and it still wont start i check for power at the pump with a test light and got nothing to i checked for power where those wires lead into the engine bay and got nothing with the test light but with a volt meter i got a reading of 11.36 which doesn't make sense since the test light wouldn't light up and it is good i checked it i dunno I'm kinda stuck can anyone please help me out oh and i checked the inertia switch and it seems to be OK i even bypassed the wires and the pump still doesn't turn on so i don't think its that PLEASE HELP ME
storj24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 05-07-2010, 02:48 AM   #2
Spitfire1975

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
Spitfire1975 is a jewel in the roughSpitfire1975 is a jewel in the roughSpitfire1975 is a jewel in the roughSpitfire1975 is a jewel in the rough

Fuel pump relay? Disconnected ground somewhere?
Spitfire1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 07:17 AM   #3
martin

Vehicle Year: 1984 1991
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: b2 explorer
martin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nicemartin is just really nice

it's a bad connection somewhere. the voltmeter applies no load to the circuit but the test light does.
martin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 10:19 AM   #4
storj24

How can i test the relay i cant seem to find another on the truck like the fuel pump relay to switch it with is there a way to test the relay
Old 05-07-2010, 10:51 AM   #5
broughton88

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: mud/offroad
broughton88 is on a distinguished road

so you have brand new fuel pump? the inline one under drivers side? so does your truck just keep cranking? when you turn the key to the on position do the relays click? turn the key on and check fuel pressure. also check the fuel pump wire on negitive battery terminal kinda looks like a in line fuseable link. also could be nutral safty switch.
broughton88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2010, 01:34 PM   #6
storj24

its not the relay bought a new one and nothing but when i jump a hot wire from the relay to the ground on the relay the pump turns on but it still just cranks and wont fire i know its a fuel issue because i took a can of carb clean and sprayed it in the intake and it fired right up and i replaced the intank pump not that one didnt know it even existed till i started looking on here
Old 05-07-2010, 09:34 PM   #7
piotrsko

Vehicle Year: 83-85/86/87/88
Vehicle Model: FRANKENranger homebuilt ALL ELECTRIC 220VDC up to 400 hp
I use this vehicle for: Son's anti college education
piotrsko is on a distinguished road

find the pressure valve on the drivers side fuel rail and push the tire valve center pin after you crank it a bit. If you don't get a big spurt of fuel you have a regulator problem or a fuel delivery problem. think clogged filter, or blown regulator. you need to see at least 40 psi.
piotrsko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
storj24

Quote:
Originally Posted by piotrsko View Post
find the pressure valve on the drivers side fuel rail and push the tire valve center pin after you crank it a bit. If you don't get a big spurt of fuel you have a regulator problem or a fuel delivery problem. think clogged filter, or blown regulator. you need to see at least 40 psi.
I have no pressure at all the pump isn't working at all and that's the problem but where is the second pump i keep hearing about that isn't in the tank i cant seem to find it or maybe i overlooked it thinking it was something else someone please help I'm so lost right now and have to get this running asap
Old 05-08-2010, 07:07 AM   #9
IMenriched

Vehicle Year: 1986 02'
Vehicle Model: ranger f150 fx4
I use this vehicle for: exercise and DD & hauling college kids stuff
IMenriched is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by storj24 View Post
I have no pressure at all the pump isn't working at all and that's the problem but where is the second pump i keep hearing about that isn't in the tank i cant seem to find it or maybe i overlooked it thinking it was something else someone please help I'm so lost right now and have to get this running asap
Is that a Type-O??? that the other fuel pump is not in the tank??

To my meager understanding, if you have a fuel pump on the frame rail you should have a pump in the tank as well, 2 fuel pump system. The trucks and Bronco II's that have 1 pump units had the single pump but they were all in the tank.

Vintage wise, yours could be a early one that would/could have a pump, singular, just 1, in the tank.

where was the fuel pump (FP) that you tried to direct wire?? on the frame rail near the bell housing on the drivers side?.

presuming the frame FP, if you tried to direct wire it from the battery to the FP and it , the FP didn't go. Either you didn't get a good connection or the FP is done & a unfortunate coincidence with the brake job and clutch.

Oh...and clutch.....did you remember to plug in the safety neutral switch ,SNS, after the clutch was done??

2 are willing to die for you.
one is a soldier, but the 1st was Jesus Christ
~few appreciate either~

Last edited by IMenriched; 05-08-2010 at 07:09 AM. Reason: more info
IMenriched is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2010, 10:32 AM   #10
storj24

What i meant to say was the i cant find a pump besides the one in the tank there is no pump on the frame rail and the fuel lines just go directly to the fuel rail. I'm getting really pissed with this p.o.s. I've done everything that i can think of relays, fusees, ignition switch, inertia switch, traced all the wires looking for bad connections. I just don't get if i take the relay off and then take a piece of wire to the pos and neg on the relay plug my pump turns on but the truck still wont start which is confusing because i have spark and its def getting air so if the pump turns on why the hell doesn't it start and what is keeping the pump from getting power with a new relay on?