• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

This trick could get you home with no fuel no start.

valsound

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
In a pinch, this trick might get you home. Use a paperclip or nail & your jumper cables to make a temp. connection ... but first, my story.....
Ok,
I have been struggling with an intermittant problem on my 2.9 1986 farm truck since I bought it this summer.
I would try this & that, look for grounding issues, computer & sensor stuff, thought I had it fixed several times, but no such luck.

Sometimes I'd hit a bump & the truck would shut off. Other times I'd let it sit & the next morning it would just not start.
I had spark, but no fuel. Ether sprayed into the throttlebody would get it to fire a couple times then die.

I worked my way through the 50 or so pages of the 2.9 forum & came upon a diagram of the EEC test plug (it is located near the relays just sitting there with nothing plugged in)
On the diagram it said
"Grounding this terminal with key on will run fuel pump. Use to test pump or run fuel out of tank."Here is a photo of the plug:

I tried it & my truck ran. Right now I have a spade connector pushed into the plug that I fished into the cab where i have a switch that then runs to the ground of the battery. When the truck won't start, I ground the pump & all is well.

I know this isn't cool for permanent highway, but for my firewood back & forth on the farm, It's good enough for me.

Anyway I figured this is a trick that could get someone home if your truck acts up without paying the tow bill.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Not well documented, and I haven't had to use it yet, but definitely a good piece of information to know. I could definitely see a use for it in diagnosing problems in the fuel pump circuit when there is a no start.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals