Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'PlumCrazy'
October 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Ted R.'
October 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 12-15-2009, 08:30 AM   #1
willmasse

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Mazda
Vehicle Model: B4000
willmasse is on a distinguished road
Default Slave Cylinder Replacement

Hey all, new to the forums. I've got a 1996 Mazda B4000 4.0l v6, 4x4(electronic shift), manual trans. Im about to try to tackle my first big automotive job in a few days as I need to replace the Slave Cylinder on my clutch hydraulics(or at least I think thats what's wrong), having to drop the transmission to do it. I was hoping to get some tips here. I've looked through the steps and have a pretty fair idea of what I'm doing, but I'm sure murphys law will come into play some time through the process. I did have a few questions. One was, how difficult is it to remove the drive shafts? I haven't found a clear walkthrough on that, but it doesn't look to be that hard. Also on the autozone repair walkthrough it says to remove the transfer case, but on this website (therangerstation) http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...lutch_swap.htm it says "Remove transmission/transfer case assembly from vehicle" does this still mean remove the transfer case first, or can I leave it attached to the trans and remove them as one piece?(As if the trans will be heavy enough) Im hoping Autozone will have all the tools I need for the job, the jackstands, transmission jack, and regular floor jack, for tool loan, but if they don't is there any other good place to look for 'em for loaning them out for a day? Thanks for any advice possible!
willmasse is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-15-2009, 11:57 AM   #2
skinner

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Very slowly running over crap.
skinner is on a distinguished road

You can leave the transfer case connected to the tranny and remove them together, i'm always afraid it'll leak to death if i take them apart, plus it's not necessary. However, it does make getting it in and lined up fun but with 2 people it's no problem. You'll have to remove the exhaust, too. I've read that you don't have to, and tried it that way but trust me, remove the exhaust. It's not overly hard, but it's not exactly fun and does take a while. Don't forget to remove the shifter before you go moving the tranny. Oh, and don't just replace the slave cylinder, get the whole clutch kit from Autozone. You don't want to have to do this job again anytime soon.

Come check me out and be friends on myspace.. http://www.myspace.com/alski6
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

This is a job that is not difficult so much as big. The absolute worst part of it is getting the transmission back in when you are done because you have to line up the input shaft with the hole in the clutch and often you can't see it.

Drive shafts are not hard to get out, a 12 point 12 mm wrench will be required for the flange bolts, I think the carrier bearing bolts are 15 mm (not 100% sure of that one). Be sure to mark the shaft flange and the axle companion flange at the back by one of the bolts with paint or crayon and a punch so you can get it lined up right and not cause a vibration. Also take care not to drop the drive shaft, it is hollow and it is a balanced assembly, dropping it can damage it or throw it out of balance, both not good.

The transmission and transfer case are physically capable of coming out as one piece, I've seen it done a 100+ times in the shop. For you at home, probably working on your back in the garage, I recommend separating them just because this stuff is already heavy, so if you can take the weight out in smaller pieces, that is easier and safer.

Autozone won't have the transmission jack, but thats something that you don't need unless you own a lift. I just use a 3 1/2 ton floor jack with a 6" dish under the middle of the tranny for height and stability, and a little 1 ton with a 2 "dish at the back for angle control.

As for jack stands, unless you are a bigger guy (+200 lbs) you shouldn't need them. I weigh 165 and I just did a complete tranny swap out last month with the truck sitting on its own 4 wheels. The only time height was an issue was when I was moving transmissions in and out from under the truck and the bell was taller than the frame.

Also, if you plan to do any significant amount of work on your truck, either now, or in the future, save yourself some trouble and run down to Sears, spend the $100 and get a set of Cross-force ratchet wrenches. They took about 3 hours off my trans swap, and they are great for people with bad wrists/preventing bad wrists because they let you push against the broad side of the wrench.

Hope this helps, feel free to PM or IM me if you have other questions. I'm sure other guys will chime in soon with stuff I missed too.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Violence might not be the answer, but it's certainly worth a shot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah Goldberg
If “violence never solved anything,” cops wouldn’t have guns and slaves may never have been freed.
Shop manuals
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:46 PM   #4
Shran

Shran will become famous soon enoughShran will become famous soon enough

The last clutch I did (in a B2) I didn't even use a jack. To lift the tranny back in, I had a piece of rebar through both side windows and a ratchet strap hooked onto that and around the tranny. I got it far enough up that I could get under it and set the tranny and transfer case on my chest, and just kind of heaved it up in there. Jacks IMO are a waste of time because you have to work around them and you don't have infinite maneuverability.
1985 F250 4x4 460/T19

Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM   #5
trail B2

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: bronco 2
I use this vehicle for: 4x4 and DD
trail B2 will become famous soon enough

Some where between all my transmission problems i've had my tranny out an embarrassing amount.First of all I separate them I can handle either one by hand which makes lining them up much easier than when there together on a jack.The connection between the tranny and transfer case is supposed to be dry sealed at both ends so leaking isn't a problem.Mine has a small drain in the m50d end.Raise it up enough to work roll over really helps getting tools and such.Take out the tranny cross brace take off all wires linkages and cables.Take the transfer case off get all your extensions and a wobbly together and unbolt the tranny from under the car.Once the cross brace is out the tranny hangs down enough to get in over the top I use an air gun if you got one.Try to center the clutch disk as good as you can with the dummy shaft very important to how the tranny slips back in.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:54 PM   #6
willmasse

Thanks for all the useful advice! Called autozone and they don't lend out jacks of any sort, I will need to pick up a jack then, I don't have one where i'll be working. The autozone guide says i'll need two, one for the transmission and another under the engine. Will a 2 ton jack be enough? Autozone has this set, I could buy two and have a jack for the engine and trans and have the jack stands to raise the truck up a bit. And just so I have an idea ahead of time, how much does the tranny weigh? I've heard trying to balance it on a jack while lowering it can be kinda tricky.
Lastly, removing the shifter, I know I need to remove the shifter, but do I have to remove the inner shifter like in this guide http://www.therangerstation.com/Maga...erbushings.htm

Thanks for the help again! Will be visiting these forums much more frequently!
Old 12-15-2009, 01:01 PM   #7
skinner

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Very slowly running over crap.
skinner is on a distinguished road

It's nice to have a floor jack for the tranny, but not necessary. If the truck moves and you can't fit under it, put it on ramps. If not, you can always use a scissor jack and put something under the wheels. Mines lifted about 2 inches and has 31's on it so I just slid right under(and i'm 6'5 260). I'm not sure exactly how heavy the tranny/ xfer case is, it's pretty heavy but not unmanageable. Luckily, you have the crossmember to 'balance' it on as you're working with it, so you don't have to benchpress it in.

Come check me out and be friends on myspace.. http://www.myspace.com/alski6
skinner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:06 PM   #8
Shran

Shran will become famous soon enoughShran will become famous soon enough

Those autozone jacks are crap. My buddy bought one thinking it was going to be awesome and he was thoroughly disappointed. I would buy from somewhere else... the 2 ton jack is plenty...you just want one with a large support thing instead of the tiny one. It is a lot easier to balance things that way. You should only need one jack.

If you decide to go with the ratchet strap method like I used I should mention that you run the strap down through the hole in the floor where the shifter usually is, not around the vehicle.

I would guess that the transfer case and tranny weigh somewhere around 120 pounds. They're pretty light.
1985 F250 4x4 460/T19

Shran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 01:09 PM   #9
country0001

Vehicle Year: 1990,92
Vehicle Make: Ford,Ford
Vehicle Model: B2,F150
I use this vehicle for: tearin up the gravel roads
country0001 has a spectacular aura aboutcountry0001 has a spectacular aura about

A 3 1/2 ton is better just because its bigger and slides better. Havin a buddy to help that has already done this is a real help. It takes longer to get it apart than to put it back together. U can bench bleed the slave cylinder b4 u put it in to save some time and headache. A guy from Autozone told me how to do it and it worked great. I second what everyone else said.
BUILD THREAD http://www.therangerstation.com/foru....php?p=767381#
country0001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 04:40 PM   #10
willmasse

Question

Once again thanks for all the tips! Do I need to have a jack under the engine during this process. I was under the impression that I did. @country0001 how do you go about bench bleeding the slave? I only know the procedure for bench bleeding the master. I know these systems are a pain to bleed, so any help is appreciated.