• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.3 oil pan differences (Ranger vs. Mustang)

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I picked up a nice 2.3 from a '93 Mustang with 70,000+ miles. My '89 Ranger 2.3 has 226,000 miles and is starting to make a few noises so I'm sticking the low mileage engine in. I'm on RockAuto picking some parts and I came to the oil pan gasket. The '93 Mustang lists the Corteco p/n as 16656 and the '89 Ranger as 16594. Why the difference? Everything else is the same that I'm getting, oil pump, valve cover gaskets, intake gaskets, rear seal. So my real question is, will the Ranger oil pan fit on the Mustang 2.3 and if so, which gasket do I use?

Thanks,
Doug

LittleBigFoot

V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
79-00
Make / Model
Mostly Ford.
Engine Size
Building a 408w
Transmission
Automatic
Maybe something to do with the front axle...

Is the ranger a 4x4?

Stangs were RWD. I'm guessing it's a different pan to clear the front diff.

smokey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
For
Transmission
Automatic
Yep a different pan. the pan is shapped a bit different. The Mustang pan will fit but will rub the TTB a little at the drain plug. Just swap your ranger pan on to it.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The Ranger should have a cast aluminum pan and the mustang one would be stamped steel. YOU WANT THE ALUMINUM ONE. That is why there is a different gasket.
Ranger pan, Ranger gasket. The blocks are the same.

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Actually the Mustang pan is cast aluminum. I guess I'm confused, doesn't the pan usually follow the footprint of the block? So the gasket would be the same? The gasket off the Mustang engine was a one piece molded unit. The Ranger engine is still in and running so I cannot check it's gasket. I have another M5OD so I'm going to have the Mustang engine/M5OD trans assembly together for when I decide it's time to transplant.

The Ranger is a 2 wheeler Supercab.

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
update

Just an update on my findings with the pans since they both are off. Both have a E7ZE p/n but the revision is different. The Ranger has a threaded hole for a sensor, the Mustang pan has an unfinished boss. The two different part numbers for the pan gasket have the Ranger kit with a gasket for the sensor and the Mustang has none for a sensor but both pan rail gaskets fit either pan. I had bought a new Ranger gasket at NAPA and found one for the Mustang pan on eBay for $4.10. I had to buy it to compare.

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Yeah, if they are both aluminum they would be the same gasket. The gasket for the aluminum pan could work on the steel pan as well. The pan rails are formed differently.

Nate_W

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey, have you completed the mustang 2.3 engine swap? I've just bought a 1993 mustang 2.3 to put in my ranger. Did it bolt right up to the M50D tranny? Any issues doing the swap?

Fairlaniac

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It worked well

I used my Ranger oil pan with a new Ranger oil pan seal. I think the p/n difference has to do with the Ranger having a sensor in the side of the pan. This makes the gasket p/n different as the kit includes the sensor seal. You'll find on the driver side tha tthe coil pack mounting points into the block that one is not tapped. So I have one less bolt holding it on. Depending on which valve cover you use you'll find some differences when fastening down things but there are no real heartaches. Go for it, you should have any big issues.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Mudtruggy
May Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals