• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Clutch Line Install

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L I4, rebuilt from a '91
Transmission
Manual
Hey all...I'm at my wits' end here. Job was to change out the clutch because of chatter.

Everything went fine, for both disassembly and install, save for the last actual connection -- the clutch hydro line into the slave.

For whatever reason, the damn thing won't go in! I've tried and done everything, from relieving the pressure at the reservoir and the slave cylinder, to checking the fittings for both the line and slave cylinder. Everything checks out: the spring fittings on both the slave and the line press in and release as they should.

Like I've said, I'm at my wits' end here -- and the friend whose garage I'm borrowing wants this done ASAP.

EVERY VIDEO I HAVE SEEN, EVERY POST AND ARTICLE I HAVE READ, ALL SAY TO "PUSH IN UNTIL YOU HEAR A CLICK" OR "ONCE IT GOES IN, YOU'LL HEAR A 'SNAP' AS IT LOCKS INTO PLACE.

What trick am I missing here? I've never had this much difficulty in installing this line before. And this is the first time this system has been apart in five years. Can someone give me something so that I can get this done??? I'm desperate here!

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If possible try the old slave with the Master hose.

If it snaps and locks then you have a different new slave and will need to get the Master for that one.
Or pull out the new slave and get the correct one.

Whats the part number for the new slave?
Has the Master ever been changed?

Sometimes People do full swap master and slave kit and then down the road they just do the slave and it won't fit the Master

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ron:

I'm using the same master, slave, and line that held together for five years. It should go back together, but it's not.

I can even pop it in and out, but it won't lock -- is there a certain distance it has to go before it clicks?

zekew64

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Please sticky this post for people having trouble connecting their hydraulic line to the slave.

I have info regarding the black male/black female fitting at the slave. If you bought a new slave cylinder from Advance Auto, AutoZone, or O'Reilly's, pay attention!

When it comes to a slave fitting that is black on black (the non-gold/anodized fitting), what you must do is press the line in as far as it will go, first, and then SEAT THE SPRING CLIP FULLY with the line pushed in. It should seat and "lock" into place.

I am saying this after fighting with the line for a day and a half. Once I seated the line and pushed the spring clip in fully, the line locked into place.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good work :icon_thumby:

Thanks for the update

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals