• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Making lift springs

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I found a site
edit; http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=90824
that showed how to reverse spring eyes, and the way that is done is to bend the springs so the arc is reversed. I figured that if you can bend the spring backwards, then you could also bend the spring MORE than stock. I've done that on one spring so it matches some others I have that I'm using for another project. It wasn't hard, I used a 12 ton hydraulic press that's worth ~C$120.00 at P.A.
Some pics so you get a better idea of what I'm talking about;

I put in the reverse bends that you can see ~ 6" in from the ends

I moved the spring about an inch each time and used about 4 strokes of the jack handle after first contact.

original curve

half done

finished

I moved the spring about an inch each time and used about 4 strokes of the jack handle after first contact.

It works as proof of concept. I have heard that they won't last as long as factory lift springs and that makes sense but its cheap. I'll be trying this on my b-II when I get a chance.
Oh, and be very careful!! I broke the first spring I tried this on and wacked a finger pretty bad. :bawling:

After that I made sure that my hands were not in line with the direction the spring would go if it breaks. That was simple, I just moved the jack handle over a few inches :rolleyes:

Richard

Last edited:

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Very cool. I have some interest in doing this myself. You lost me, however, with this part-
I found a site that showed how to reverse spring eyes, and the way that is done is to bend the springs so the arc is reversed. I figured that if you can bend the spring backwards, then you could also bend the spring MORE than stock.
Mind giving the site where you found the information? I would much appreciate it, as, like I say, I will be doing something like this in the near future with some Chevy springs for my own truck. It looks like the one you have pictured here came out pretty nice. Will be very interesting to see how they hold up. Must have made a healthy bang when you broke the one.:icon_surprised:

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
1st post edited for site

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I see now. They actually bent the spring far enough to reverse the arc on it and put it back on upside down. I am surprised that can be done without breaking the spring, but then again, I don't know anything about springs. You didn't go that far with the one you did, did you?

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The two bends 6" in from the ends are bent at least that far, probably farther as it's one sharp bend. That's probably why the first one broke, the second one I didn't bend quite as far. I don't think there will be any worries about breakage if you are bending in the same curve as original.
edit; online info suggests that you should NOT bend more than the radius of 25 times the thickness of the spring.
Richard

Last edited:

upnsmoke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
How about that. Well, I guess this is a good excuse to get myself a hydraulic press, been wanting one anyway. My pop already flipped his lid at me the other day when I dragged in a WWII belt sander I picked up for free, now he's really going to lose it. Anyway, judging by what you have done, I think this definitely works. I think I will go ahead and swap springs when my 8.8 goes back in (another thing taking up floor space right now), get rid of my lift blocks and go this route. Good work man, and thanks for taking the time to post it.:beer:
edit in regard to your edit- Okay, we have a number to go by then, that's good.

Last edited:

Uncle JuJu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I have heard a lot of mixed reviews about this process! I would also like to try it out. I think it works as long as you add that spring to a pack with more arch. Or in their case simply reinstall it in the same pack. So the spring isn't fighting the others.

From what I know this process weakens the springs! And therefore they will snap sooner or later.. Not saying that it won't last for some time though..

I may try this with a set of yota springs I have just for grins! Afterall my Harbor Freight pipe kindergarten should work nicely for this!

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Who knows how good the info is and I'm not an engineer but....as a general rule to start with, I'm game. My thoughts and observations so far is that it's something to pay attention to. The first spring that I bent broke, and I was trying to put in a sharp, reverse angle bend. I will have to take some measurements and see how close I came to the 'radius rule'.
I agree that this is not going to last like a lift spring would as you are adding to the natural curvature and quenching and heat-treating that was put in from the factory. But as a cheap 'person' I want to see how far this will take me. I could spend $700.00 or more on a set of leafs....oh, damn, I don't have $700.00!:icon_surprised:
If I get 6 months out of this I'll be happy. At the same time I'm doing this mod I'll be cleaning up the springs and shackles and bushings. Once that's done it should not be hard to re-arch the springs again when they need it.
Buy the way, it took me a lot longer to clean the spring than bend it. I wish I had a sand blaster...and a compressor to run one.
:icon_welder:

Richard

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Be very careful doing that. There is alot of stored energy in those springs. My suggestion is put something over the long end of the spring while it is in the press just so it doesn't fly across the shop and either destroy or kill someone or something. Put something over it like you would with a cable from a vehicles winch with tension on it.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^ very good advice. In my first post I showed a broken spring that happened to me the first time I tried this but this needs repeating!!!! BE VERY CAREFUL! DO NOT HAVE YOUR BODY/PARTS IN FRONT OF OR ABOVE THE SPRING WHEN BENDING!

Richard

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Be very careful doing that. There is alot of stored energy in those springs. My suggestion is put something over the long end of the spring while it is in the press just so it doesn't fly across the shop and either destroy or kill someone or something. Put something over it like you would with a cable from a vehicles winch with tension on it.
+2 on this. Plus, springs can be totally unpredictable as well when trying to alter them for your ride. You can have severe stress and fatigue issues after a load has been placed on them. It really is best to have a pro do this so you don't have to worry about an accident happening and causing injury or death. Reading something on the web and then trying to do it is sometimes great and other times it is not. Just be careful, Bro!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals