• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 2.3L camshaft sensor question

BT2413

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I bought a camshaft sensor at autozone today and it only has one bolt hole and the sensor is where the other bolt hole should be. The original OEM sensor has two bolt holes. (there are two bolts too) The sensor looks identical except for the fact that the original has two holes. Anyone have any idea why. :dunno:

Last edited:

rangermanmark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
when i replaced mine i found the samething.....just a design change. Can i ask why you are replacing it?

BT2413

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
when i replaced mine i found the samething.....just a design change. Can i ask why you are replacing it?
Rough idle, loss of power, and when I hit the accelerator hard it hesitates. I went to the dealer today and the oem sensor is like the one I got from Autozone so I guess it is a design change. I'm not sure which one I am going to use though.

Why did you change yours??? BTW, thanks for replying.

rangermanmark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I hooked a scan tool up to my truck to see what codes were pulling and i got a cam sensor code......i was working on getting all the parts to replace all the stuff for my timing (belt, tensioner, water pump,....) so i figured id go ahead and replace it while i was in there...and since the code was pending. Have you put a scan tool up to your truck....any local auto parts store should be able to do it for you for free (OBD2)

BT2413

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
I haven't recently scanned it. A while back I was having the CEL popping up and it registered several codes. I think I remember it giving me a P0340. I am not sure though. I am just getting fed up with it. I have had to 2 different dealers and neither one could find anything wrong with it. That's why I hate dealers. Expensive and full of shit. Anyway, I am having a hard time getting the bottom portion of this sensor out of the engine. :annoyed:

BT2413

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
My truck would lose alot of power when it was warm outside. On cool mornings it was okay but by the afternoon it would really lose power. This guy was having the same issue and he states that changing his camshaft position sensor fixed it. Here is the quote:

"I was living with the shuddering problem for months and finally got fed up with it. The spedo wasn't working and the shuddering, bucking became unbearable. I first started by getting the exhaust bandaged up. No help, but the truck was a *little* quieter (still no cat). I then replaced the coil packs and the problem was less noticeable and I thought for the most part that I had found my solution. I however still had the P0340 engine code. The truck ran well at most speeds, but at lower rpms I would get some hesitation. I lived with that for a day or two, then the truck started acting like its old self. That was it. I finally decided to tackle the camshaft position sensor, which (on a 97 2.3L) is hiding beneath the A/C compressor and power steering pump bracket......

After a long evening digging into parts of my engine compartment that hadn't seen daylight in over a decade, I replaced the sensor and now the truck is running better than I've ever seen. A great feeling."

rangermanmark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
i am having cam sensor problems still.....with the jerking and all. I think the Advance Auto i bought it from might have dropped it or something....cause im still getting the cam sensor code....and my truck is still doing that jerking/jumping bit (driving me insane!!!!!!)

BT2413

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Well, I finally got the bottom half of that damn camshaft sensor out of the engine. I had to use a crow bar. Anyway, the new sensor has made an incredible difference!! I went with the duralast cause it was cheaper and the dealer said I could return the one I got from them if I didn't install it. The OEM was $100 and the Duralast was $35.

It still seems to miss a little at idle but, nothing like it use too. Acceleration is so much better, power is better and as good as it can get being my truck has 145,000 miles on it. Oh, and it use to backfire upon deceleration and that is gone. And it starts easier. I am so relieved. It's a monkey off my back.

If I were you, I would take that back to Advance and get a different one. If the new one doesn't do better then you might have a problem with the connector or wires. And sometimes I find that OEM works best.

Thanks for your input during this ordeal of mine. Let me know how things go with you. If I can help you I will. :icon_cheers:

Last edited:

rangermanmark

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Yea hopefully this i will be able to get to it this weekend.....if ya wanna help....come on down to GA :D

BT2413

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
Hahaha...man I love Georgia, especially the Savannah area. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals