• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Body lift advice

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
hey guys, first off let me say that although this topic was previously covered on this site, none of my questions were, so i'm in need of some advice from the experts here!

basically, all i want to do is a simple body lift on my 86 ranger 4wd (not looking to break the bank). i was thinking of doing a 2" or 3" lift. i saw one on JC WHITNEY for 95.99. here is the link if anyone is interested:

http://www.jcwhitney.com/body-lift-kit/p2005819.jcwx?filterid=j2

so my 1st question is: can this kit be installed at home with regular tools or are special tools/skills required to install this? (me and my buddy have decent mechanical know-how)

also, i've been hearing that installing a body lift will require new shocks (regular ones will no longer work). given that i just replaced the shocks, i'm not too crazy about spending more cash to replace them again so...

my 2nd question is: if a lift does in fact hamper their use, would a 2" lift better allow me to use my regular shocks?

and lastly, i read that since i do in fact have a manual mazda tranny, either lift will require a PN[3700] Shift Extension.

so my 3rd and final questions are: is this extension really necessary and if it is, can it be installed at home with regular tools or are special tools/skills required to install it?

thank you so much for any and all responses. i've had nothing but great results from the members of this club :icon_thumby: you all rock!

DRanger024

Supporting Member
Solid Axle Swap
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6-7” front maybe 3” rear
Total Drop
Tire Size
33x12.50-15
Answer 1: YES! regular hand tools and a floor jack are all you need. I would recommend soaking the body bolts with PB Blaster or the like at least a week in advance. No special skill needed, you just need to be able to look at pictures and follow a few directions.

Answer 2: YOU DO NOT NEED NEW SHOCKS WITH A BODY LIFT! Although its not a bad idea to replace them since your center of gravity will be higher and good shocks help reduce bump steer and body roll.

Answer 3: The shift extensions isnt required but I doubt you would like it very much without it unless you are shorter. You do not need any special skills or tools to install it and there is nothing hard about installing it. Also your shifter boot will fit like crap if you have the one that goes all the way up to the knob if you were to leave the extension out.

Hope that helps!

Last edited:

bbbb51

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
He beat me to the answers. It will be some work but you and a buddy should be able to knock it out over a weeknd. Be sure to get some of that spray oil to loosen up bolts and apply it the day before u start. Good luck! Oh ya without the shift extension the shifter will hit the floor pan in second and 4th.

GoodOld85BlueBalls

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2010/2013
Make / Model
FORD/FORD
Engine Size
3.0Powerstroke/3.5 EcoBoost
Transmission
Manual
Just make sure you use some good quality grade 8 fasteners. Also make sure the washer on the top side is a large fender type washer, so it wont pull through the body in an accident or twisting up off road.

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
DANG GUYS! THATS AWESOME! thanks for all your help and confidence building!

one last question that i forgot to mention! will the body lift undo of the dreaded factory "front end dip"?? will it actually even out the truck when its all installed? I HOPE YOU HAVE GOOD NEWS FOR ME!

also, now that i have the answers to my questions, would any one you guys recommend the 2" or 3" lift? is one better than or more troublesome than the other or is it more of a preference thing?

THANKS BROS for making the responses so straight to the point and clear! i appreciate it!

Last edited:

2813josh

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6,4.0
Transmission
Manual
The front will still sit lower. The difference in height from front to rear is in the suspension. I think they made it that way so when you load the bed the truck is still level. Body lift won't change this...coil spacers will

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
Just check to make sure you do or do not need a steering shaft extender. Every bl kit I have done (Performance Accessories is all I have ever used) has included the extender in the kit. It works best with a buddy to help out. So it will be easier with two. I do know some people who have done it on their own and they said it was no really that hard. I just like to be more safe when I do something.

Good luck, and post some photos before and after for us!!!

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
One other thing to be prepared for is the 2 front body mounts on the cab. They have a dished spacer(if I remember correctly) and don't usually want to come out(regardless of how much PB Blaster you use). I ended up just cutting mine(the bolts) with a sawsall, adding a spacer in place of the stock one(an old hockey puck that used to be my BL), and added the new hardware and lift block.

All they want to do is spin(on the stock spacer, so no way of getting a hold of it to hold it). The smaller black is the hockey puck. This is on my Explorer, but my 84 Ranger is the same way.

Last edited:

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
Another question

Just check to make sure you do or do not need a steering shaft extender. Every bl kit I have done (Performance Accessories is all I have ever used) has included the extender in the kit. It works best with a buddy to help out. So it will be easier with two. I do know some people who have done it on their own and they said it was no really that hard. I just like to be more safe when I do something.

Good luck, and post some photos before and after for us!!!
thanks for the heads up. i didn't know that a steering shaft extender was also needed. so the extender is most likely included in the kit and is something that can be done at home with regular tools and a little mechanical know how right?

ONE LAST IMPORTANT QUESTION FOR ALL!! since my truck is a 4wd, do i need two separate shift extensions or is the one PN[3700] Shift Extension good for both? I HADN'T EVEN CONSIDERED this until i was reading over all your responses. i want to be as prepared as i can before i undertake this mission!

and i'll definitely post up before and after pics bro.:icon_thumby:

Last edited:

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
One other thing to be prepared for is the 2 front body mounts on the cab. They have a dished spacer(if I remember correctly) and don't usually want to come out(regardless of how much PB Blaster you use). I ended up just cutting mine(the bolts) with a sawsall, adding a spacer in place of the stock one(an old hockey puck that used to be my BL), and added the new hardware and lift block.

thanks bro! pics HELP SO MUCH! its this and all the other tidbits of wisdom from everyone here that will make this lift a much more productive and enjoyable experience :headbang:

Last edited:

chrwilkins30

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i just bought PA body lift from jcwhitney and the papers inside show that the 2in and 3in comews with a steering extension.

ocelotl

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 EFI
Transmission
Manual
i just bought PA body lift from jcwhitney and the papers inside show that the 2in and 3in comews with a steering extension.
dude, you rock! thanks for that info. by the way, i noticed that you have a 4x4. is your truck manual? if so, is that shift extension good for the tranny shifter and the transfer case shifter or do you need one for each?

appreciate the help bro. thanks

Last edited:

straycat

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
02 06 and 2012
Make / Model
Jeeps
Transmission
Automatic
bbbb51, Dude, I would like to see some photos or your truck. What year of brush guard are you using. It looks like the older style and I really like the way it looks on the truck. I had one of those about a year ago and I thought it might not look correct since our Gen trucks have a different style head light area. I got rid of it to a buddy who wanted it and now that I see yours I see it looks really great!!!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals