• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Would like some help identifying a component in engine compartment.

Mataroa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Hello there!

I bought a (well) used '99 Ranger in Sept. of 2016, and have been replacing parts as I've gone along. Unfortunately, something new has gone awry and it has me stumped.

The truck's been running a bit rough lately. A la, chugging at stops, including rocking of the engine and the whole truck. Got a check engine light on top of that, as though I needed something else to know something was wrong.

The DTC is for a 'lean fuel-to-air mixture' (P0171), and was told it was a fouled MAF sensor. However, I came across something else in the engine compartment that might or might not be related to the issue I'm having. In any case, it's worth knowing what it is and how to fix it.

On the driver side of the engine bay, near the battery and underneath the brake fluid reservoir, is the item in question. To be specific, I can feel air moving out of a hose that comes from the mystery device and runs back towards the engine itself (I haven't pursued the hose the other way, since the issue is out here in the open).

What exactly is this, and what does it do? Even if it doesn't pertain to my DTC, I'd like to fix it. It's going to bug me until I do so.

Red circle: The leak itself. Can feel air moving through the hose when the engine is running.
Blue circle: The mystery component. I wonder if that electrical connection covered in gunk might have something to do with my problem.

Thanks for reading, any help would be appreciated. As much as I love my truck, I'm sure I'll be visiting this forum quite a bit as stuff breaks.

Edited to add picture, because I only use my head sometimes.

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
my guess is purge valve for the evaporative emissions, the green cap is for testing the system.

You shouldn't be hearing/feeling air moving around there and that could actually be your problem. That would be known in the automotive world as a "non metered air" leak, that's a reasonably sized hose going straight to the intake manifold... take off that currogated sheathing and see where the hose is broken, if it's broken off find a fuel hose or something that will fit over it and clamp it on both sides, should get it going again.

tomw

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
lima bean
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
vertical and above ground
If my interpretation of the picture is correct, the large-ish hose inside the red circle is broken at the bottom, cracked at least. It appears as if it has broken due to old age and the sharp turn it takes. If you replace the hose, you'll likely fix your problem. The hose is allowing air into the engine that the computer doesn't know about, so it is whining that things are 'too lean'... and it can add only so much extre fuel to make up before complaining. Fix the hose and be on your way, if lucky.
tom

Mataroa

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I am pleased to say that after replacing the hose, the truck runs good! Went to a hardware store and cut a replacement hose for a mere $0.39. Immensely better than the solution that Autozone was trying to sell me.

The inner diameter (bore) of the hose required is 3/8ths inches, for future reference.

However, my next question is this: the check engine light is still on. Is a scan tool required to reset the DTC, or will the truck know that everything's better after a certain number of engine cycles (or some other method)?

Last edited:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
disconnecting the battery won't do anything on an OBDII engine so don't bother. After a few warm up cycles it'll go out as it relearns and everything is in check. But you can also buy a $12 OBDII scanner that will connect to your phone or one of the corded scanners should do it too.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Its 2017 and you don't own a $10. scanner. How embarrassing.......... JK, but go get a scanner!

Fyi: I give Elm 327, $15 Autels, etc out as Xmas gifts! People love them.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals