• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

I am repalcing the heads on my 2004 Vulcan

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I have come to the conclusion that I have a burnt exhaust valve. I bought the truck in august of 2013 and have been driving it since. I will get a misfire at idle. I am past the DX stage and I am just going to swap heads. thus this thread. A local machine shop will rebuild them for about $275 each. I did some searching and found some companies and called and talked to them.

http://www.shop.headsonly.com/main.sc They will sell me 2 rebuilt heads for $175 each plus $20=$370 They give you 30 days to send the old heads back without charging you.

I also called and talked to this company https://www.cificinc.net/index.php/ They cost $137 per head. so for 2 heads= $274 includes shipping. These heads are new so a core is not required.

Dover USA has them for $125 each plus $30 shipping they charge a $100 core fee that you get back. so $280 total. They also will sell new bolts for $14 a side and a gasket set for $60.

The guy at headsonly said I could reuse the bolts. The guy at Doverusa said I should buy new bolts. http://www.doverusa.com/

rockauto has remanufactured ones for $167 each.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Head bolts are TTY, Torque to Yield, They are not under any circumstance re-usable.

Head gaskets, I have tried the gambit on my truck, from copper, copper silicone coated, Ford stock etc, The best I have found is FelPro MLS # 9902 & 9903, they hold up better than anything I have found, & I abuse them at 18psi of boost on my 3.0.

JP02XLT

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Head bolts are TTY, Torque to Yield, They are not under any circumstance re-usable.

Head gaskets, I have tried the gambit on my truck, from copper, copper silicone coated, Ford stock etc, The best I have found is FelPro MLS # 9902 & 9903, they hold up better than anything I have found, & I abuse them at 18psi of boost on my 3.0.

JP02XLT
Thanks for the info. If anyone has an opinion on what heads to buy please let me know.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Rearanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would tend to go with a local shop to reman your heads. I just feel you'll get better service and possible warranty doing this local. Mass produced heads don't give me a good feeling.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'd shop around locally a bit more. I had my heads milled with a 5 angle valve job and back cuts on the intake valves by a local performance shop for $320. I did all of the assembly/disassembly though. Still, $550 for a stock rebuild on 2 heads seems pretty high.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I would tend to go with a local shop to reman your heads. I just feel you'll get better service and possible warranty doing this local. Mass produced heads don't give me a good feeling.
I'd shop around locally a bit more. I had my heads milled with a 5 angle valve job and back cuts on the intake valves by a local performance shop for $320. I did all of the assembly/disassembly though. Still, $550 for a stock rebuild on 2 heads seems pretty high.
I will double check with the guy on the price. maybe it was $225-$250. I know I went to 3 shops in total. One guy did not even want to bother doing it. The other guy stuck to mostly rebuilding boat motors because there was more money in it. He want more than $300 a head. I did call about 7 or 8 shops in total. I am even having a hard time finding anyone to do the work for a reasonable price. I think the lowest labor quote I got was $800 and he did not even want to really do it. They are making way to much replacing brakes and mufflers. etc

I agree that going to a local shop is best, but If I get the parts ahead of time I might be a to get it all back together faster.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want to just drive your truck to a shop, and have them remove the heads, rebuild the heads, and reinstall the heads, $550 is a pretty good price.

I was thinking you'd be doing most of the labor, and the shop would only be handling the head rebuild.

Either way, follow JP02xlts instructions and make sure the head bolts/gaskets are replaced.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
If you want to just drive your truck to a shop, and have them remove the heads, rebuild the heads, and reinstall the heads, $550 is a pretty good price.

I was thinking you'd be doing most of the labor, and the shop would only be handling the head rebuild.

Either way, follow JP02xlts instructions and make sure the head bolts/gaskets are replaced.
Sorry for the confusion. The best price i got from a local machine shop to rebuild both heads is about $500. The best price i got from a mechanic just in labor to remove and replace both heads is $800. For a total of about $1,300.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok. My first post stands in that case. I wouldn't be afraid of ordering heads online though, if that's the best price you can find. I've read posts about aftermarket 3.0 castings being a little thicker and stronger than stock in some cases.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Try these guys, http://doverheads.com/ford.html, I spoke with them on a set of heads but wound up getting a set on a replacement motor (no need to go into that story)

I had read good reviews on them, please do your own homework before you decide. I believe they have complete replacements for $185 each.

JP02XLT

Chris_North

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Just FYI, when I was looking into having heads installed I was quoted about $850 in labor as well, not counting the price of rebuilding the heads. It was about as costly to have the whole engine replaced with a salvaged one, IIRC.

I purchased JY heads that weren't rebuilt but in working order for about $220 (for the pair). I don't suggest dropping in JY heads unless you are unsure of the condition of the lower engine. It's something I regret but it was the right move at the time.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

JP02XLT
JP. About how long does it take you to swap heads on your 3.0. Not including rebuilding the heads, just the swap?

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Try these guys, http://doverheads.com/ford.html, I spoke with them on a set of heads but wound up getting a set on a replacement motor (no need to go into that story)

I had read good reviews on them, please do your own homework before you decide. I believe they have complete replacements for $185 each.

JP02XLT
Are they the same as Doverusa? I linked them in my first post. They have rebuilt heads for $125 each.

modelageek

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Just FYI, when I was looking into having heads installed I was quoted about $850 in labor as well, not counting the price of rebuilding the heads. It was about as costly to have the whole engine replaced with a salvaged one, IIRC.

I purchased JY heads that weren't rebuilt but in working order for about $220 (for the pair). I don't suggest dropping in JY heads unless you are unsure of the condition of the lower engine. It's something I regret but it was the right move at the time.
You can buy new and rebuilt heads now for $125 each. I definitely would not use JY heads.

JP02XLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Dover Heads USA is in GA, the other one is in SC, Not the same place, as far as how long it takes, this is not an easy job and your going to need a good torque wrench for sure.

There is a ton to tear off, and everything has to come off the motor, all the accessories in the front as they bolt to the heads.

The AC can be laid back over the passenger fender without being discharged if you take the radiator and the condenser out then get help laying the entire AC system over the fender. Its a little tricky but with the right twist of the compressor and condenser, it will lay right out of the way.

The PS unit can be laid over on the frame & sway bar on its side to get it out of the way. the bolts on the PS mount are a pain in the butt, there is also one on the side of block near the front

Not knowing your mechanical experience, this is a large job, it can be done by anyone with a fair mechanical background (its not rocket science), just follow the correct procedure and make sure everything is very clean when you put the head gaskets on, again follow procedure.

As for time, if this is your first time, this is a full weekend worth of work, if your fairly mechanical, and have a good selection of tools. I like to do them in steps, I get it all torn apart, clean everything associated with the heads at least twice, then bolt the heads on and get them torqued & checked several times, then start re-assembling everything else.

JP02XLT

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals