• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Push-button 4wd not working!

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ok so I need some advice, I cannot get my push-button 4wd to work in my 89 B2. It was working, but in some brilliant stroke of genius I threw away the controller and wiring harness, thinking it was for the abs. Today I pulled the harness and controller from my '90 b2 parts truck, which shifted fine 6 months ago, hooked everything up, and no 4wd... Checked my under-dash fuses, even tried disconnecting and re-connecting the battery. nothing... any ideas? im thinking the controller may be bad, anyone have one layin around? Please help!

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its most likely the t-case motor, if you cant here it click when u hit the button then its bad, the tech section tells you how to take it apart and clean it. mine went out so i got a new one from lmc truck, havent had no probs with it since and i wheel every weekend.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
Try this, courtesy of 4x4 Junkie:

If all the fuses are good, the next step is to run the 4x4 module self diagnostic. The 4x4 module is located behind the driver’s side rear jump seat on super-cab models, but as far as the other locations I don’t really know. This module will have three connectors going to it – one will be a pig tail, the other two will be located on the right side of it (side towards the front of the truck). These two connectors must be removed to diagnose the module. With the key in the off position, remove these two connectors from the module. Next, turn the key on with the engine off. On top of the module is a white rectangular button located next to a red LED….push the button and watch the LED.
a. If it flashes, this indicates the module is working properly. Go to the next step

Then we'll look at the shift motor, you can easily, and for almost free, fix a shift motor.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
mine is in the dash next to the pasenger speaker, take 4 scrouse out lift the plate cover and its right there.

smash9002

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thanks guys, I went to the help section for transfer cases and figured out the under-hood fuse was bad, I had no idea it was even there! Thanks anyways!

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
yep, no problem.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

XLTsplash
June Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals