• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Oil PSI drops/engine stumbles, on warm, 1988 2.0

When the truck is warmed up completely the oil PSI is usually right at 40 and it idles nicely. After driving it for a while sometimes the oil PSI will drop down to about 20 and the engine struggles to idle, it does this for a while and sometimes will go away. Usually after shutting it off when I...
  2. Valve spring compressor OTC tool #303-266 (Rotunda T86L-6565-A)

I'd like to know if this valve spring compressor will work for a 1988 2.0 liter. It says the OTC tool number is 303-266 but it also has a Rotunda number T86L-6565-A. I'm having trouble navigating the Ford website to find this information as I've heard it may be available there, and the...
  3. Ignition coil resistance wire bad? Reading 11.75 volts running

My ignition coil is reading 11.75 volts with the truck running, which makes me think the resistance wire is bad. Then again, if that was the case it should be reading closer to 14 volts because of the alternator right? I'm using a TFI coil because I don't want to get stranded if a stock canister...
  4. Will the Racer Walsh Cannon intake improve MPG?

I figured out the problem with my Weber 32/36, on the long sides between the casting seams it was raised up, like improper casting. So it leaked vacuum on those spots. I had it milled and that fixed it. My question now is will the Cannon intake manifold from Racer Walsh improve my MPG? I know it...
  5. new weber 32/36 vacuum leak

I bought a new weber 32/36 and used the redline adapter 99004.250 on a stock 2 barrel intake and it has a vacuum leak on the carb but not the manifold. I had the same problem with a holley 5200 so i dont think it would be the carb. Ive tried making an adapter with the stock black spacer and...
  6. engine wont idle once key is let off start

Sometimes when I try to start my ranger the only thing it will do is turn over and fire when the key is in the start position. I have to leave it in start to get it to keep firing. Once I let off the key to idle it shuts off. Its getting gas and spark. Maybe the ignition switch? Once in a while...
  7. milling lifter bosses on 2.0 head for solid lifters/roller cam

Some of the lobes on my 2.0 flat tappet cam are worn, I've lost 2-3 mpg city and cold starts idle rough. It drives okay warm and the ticking quiets down, I've been told the ticking is a valve lash issue. I replaced the followers and it's a little better warm but since the cam is worn and flat...
  8. help on license plate lights

My license plate lights are powered through a splice in my tail lights, there is only one wire for both sockets and no ground. They are aftermarket and the style shown in the picture. I have Sylvania 1156 bulbs and can't get them to turn on. The sockets get about 11 volts with the key and lights...
  9. 1988 Thunderbird turbo 2.3 - question about distributor

I found a 1988 Thunderbird turbo 2.3 engine and manual transmission. The engine may need a rebuild but the trans is good. It has 150K on it. I'd like to know if I can use my HEI ignition on it. Maybe the 2.0 or 2.3 Duraspark distributors will work? Will the dizzy gear need to be changed? I'd...
  10. TFI coil, which is positive and negative

I'm installing a TFI coil on my 88 2.0 today and would like to know which side is positive and which side is negative. I am converting from the stock canister coil as I have installed an HEI module. Thanks for any help
  11. HEI: ballast resistor for stock coil? 1988 2.0L

When using an HEI module with a stock canister coil, do I need a ballast resistor going to the coil to control the voltage while the engine is running? I've heard 12 Volts is ok for the TFI coil, but heard of over heating with 12V to a stock canister coil. Thanks for any help
  12. HEI on 1988 2.0 SPOUT question

If I convert my duraspark ignition to the 4-pin HEI module with the stock distributor will that eliminate the need for the SPOUT in the stock wiring harness? Does the HEI module have its own signals for the spark output so to speak? I assumed the SPOUT was connected to the duraspark module so...
  13. Where does the coolant flow on a 2.0 2bbl intake return?

I bought a 1988 2.0 engine for my truck and don't know where the coolant flow tube on the intake is supposed to flow to. I had to just plug it and would rather not. I've searched and haven't been able to find anything. I have a Haynes manual. Thanks for any help
  14. Setting camshaft timing on 1988 2.0

The bolt that holds the gear to the auxiliary shaft for the distributor fell out and the gear started walking off which made my timing jump real bad. Before I try to set it I'd like to make sure I understand how the camshaft timing marks work. There's a diamond that covers the width of one tooth...
  15. 1988 2.0 Ranger with Holley 5200 timing question

I have a 1988 2.0 Ranger and I have all the stuff to put a Holley 5200 on it with the stock 2bbl intake. My timing is set for the stock 2.0 YFA 1bbl which I am running now with an adapter on the 2bbl intake. It works well. I saw in this thread...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad