• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 2001 2.3 Idle's Bad

I thought that you might find this interesting. Several weeks ago my 2001 Ranger 2.3 truck started idling very poorly. At idle it would run very rough and miss, it ran just fine off idle. It showed a trouble code P0171, which means that it was running too lean. However you could smell that at...
  2. How to ruin a 2.3 Duratec

How to ruin a 2.3 Duratec I bought a very clean low mileage 2001 Ranger with the 2.3 Duratec motor. After driving this truck for about a month, I was returning home from a business trip on the freeway. Looking in the side mirror I noticed that it was blowing a lot of black smoke out the tail...
  3. 2.3 DOHC Pilot Bearing Question

I have a 2001 Ranger 2.3 with manual shift. The engine is very very tired (I'll post an informational thread later as to why). I bought a 2001 2.3 out of a wrecked automatic truck. I'm trying to get everthing all set to slip it right in. I ordered out a new pilot bearing expecting to get...
  4. 2.3 dohc Pilot Bearing question

I have a 2001 Ranger 2.3 with manual shift. The engine is very very tired (I'll post an informational thread later as to why). I bought a 2001 2.3 out of a wrecked automatic truck. I'm trying to get everthing all set to slip it right in. I ordered out a new pilot bearing expecting to get...
  5. Need Help on 2.3 replacement

Somebody as why a new engine? I know these Ford 2.3's are supposed to be almost industructable and mine only has 77K on it. What happened is that on the way home from a trip, I noticed that I was blowing lots of black smoke out the tail pipe. I didn't have any choice so I just drove it home...
  6. Need Help on 2.3 replacement

I have 2001 2.3 Ranger with manual trans. The motor is very very tired and I want to replace it. The information I can find on what will fit is very conflicting. Does the replacement engine have to be from a standard transmission truck? Will any 2.3 Duratec engine fit or does it have to be the...
  7. PCV Valve Help

Has anyone changed the PCV valve in their Duratec? The Ford ahop manual suggests removing the drivers side fender well to get at it (They have to be kidding!). I can feel it under the intake manifold, behind a water by pass hose, on the top of the oil separator on the side of the engine. There...
  8. More on 2.3 Intake Resonators

On the newer 2.3's (2001-up) there are one and sometimes two plastic boxes tapped into the intake duct. These are supposed to dampen intake noise. It's just a big empty plastic chamber. This is what I have removed.
  9. More on 2.3 Intake Resonators

Last Sunday I was poking around under the hood of my new (to me) 2001 2.3 Ranger. I got to looking at the plastic resonator box attached to the air intake tube. I remember reading another thread here, and the conclusion was that it was just there to reduce the intake noise. I don't really care...
  10. Spark Plug Nightmare

A few weeks ago I bought a very clean used 2001 Ranger 2.3 with low mileage. The truck had a little miss when cruising at a steady speed, so I decided that changing the spark plugs might be a good idea. When I pulled that first plug, I found that indeed this was a good idea. Because someone had...
  11. Intermittent Heat, Solved !

Here in Michigan, you have to have a good heater. When the heater in my 1996 Ranger with 125K on it, started putting out heat when it wanted to, I thought that maybe this was the end for my old pal. This was further confirmed when I read all the links on the web about broken blend-air doors and...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad