• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Electrical problem. Relay, maybe?

Hey all, hoping this is the right place to post this. I've got a '97 4wd, 4.0, 5 speed. Off and on for a few years now, occasionally when I get in the truck there's no dome light, and when I turn the key, no dash lights, no crank. Sometimes the dash lights are on very dimly. Sometimes I hear...
  2. 4.0 OHV oil pan gasket

Hey all, Looks like I'm going to have to replace the oil pan gasket on my '97, 4.0, 4wd. It's got the TTB front setup. Will the motor have to come out, and can I just raise enough to gain clearance? Anything else I should be aware/concerned about along the way?
  3. ABS wiring sources

I'm about to do a hub conversion on my Ranger. The abs connectors are different on the setup I'll be running. Does anybody have a source for the wiring schematic so I can cross the wiring colors on the abs wires? I'm assuming they're specific, signal and ground.
  4. Live axle conversion.

Hey all, I've got a 2011 4wd Ranger. I've been considering the conversion to manual hubs since I got the truck, as I don't offroad, and the only time I need 4wd is when it snows here, which isn't much any more. To add to it I'd like to see if it ups my MPG at all. Recently I've found that I've...
  5. Aftermarket alarm door locks

Hey all, I just installed the alarm in my 2011 Ranger, and all is well. One thing I'm missing is the power locks. My truck has them, and I've got a good working factory FOB, but I want to set it up to use my alarm FOB. The aftermarket alarm has the function, I'm just having trouble locating a...
  6. Smart Junction Box connectors

Hey all, I'm in the process of stereo and alarm install on my '11 Ranger. I'm at the point of needing to tap into a wire on the SJB, and wanted to pull the connector to verify the pin count. I've never been into a box like this, so i'm looking for help getting the connector off. It's got a...
  7. Rockers

Hey all, Wasn't sure where to post this, but here it is. I recently bought a 2011 XLY 4wd 5-spd Ranger. I've had my '97 since 2001, and pretty much know my way around it, but this '11 is uncharted to me. One thing I've noticed is the hollow, and open rockers on it. If I open either front door...
  8. Truck shopping

Hey all, I need a little educating. I've got a '97, 4wd, 4.0, 5-speed, with about 285k on it, and she's begun showing her age (rusting). I got it with about 60k, so I've had it a good, long while. It sits up a bit, and has Wrangler RT/S tires on it, and it shows nicely with the ride-height. It's...
  9. Cruise control

Not sure I'm in the right forum for this, but has anybody added cruise to their truck? Is it a pain? Expensive? My trusty (and rusty) 97's having issues, so I'm looking at an '09. Decent truck, but I need cruise.
  10. Oil gauge mod

I saw a post with a mod for the on/off oil pressure gauges to make them show actual pressure. Found it here.. http://rogueperformance.com/oilsw.html That was for the earlier clusters. I've got a '97, and it looks totally different. I'd really like to do this mod, but I'm not seeing the 20 ohm...
  11. 2011 Ranger

I'm looking at a 2011 Ranger, 4wd, 4.0, 5-speed. I've had my '97 since 2001, and it's by far been the best vehicle I've ever had. It's at about 120k, and priced where I can afford. Are there any things I need to look out for or be aware of when I go check it out? Common problems? Recalls?
  12. Oil pan drop, bearing replacement.

My '97, 4.0 has had an intermittent rattle for years. It's come and gone more times than I can remember, and for a while I chalked it up to rockers/pushrods. A couple years back I replaced them, and the noise still made it's random visits. It'd be there for a few days, and then gone for weeks...
  13. High side AC port leaking

Went to check/charge my AC today and when I pulled the quick-connect off the high side the valve wouldn't seal. I believe I've found the replacement service ports on RockAuto, but is there a way fix this without tearing into the system? I really don't want to open it up.
  14. Bed interchange

Hey all, I've got a '97 Ranger with the 7' bed. She's getting a bit rusty around the rear wheel wells and I'm looking to replace the bed. I found a guy with a bed from a '99 in decent shape. Will it fit on my truck? Will I need to modify anything to make it work, or is it a bolt-on swap? Thanks..
  15. Electric fan conversion

I know the conversion has been covered a few times, but I've got a question I haven't seen addressed. I'm headed to a local yard today to pick up a Taurus fan. Supposedly they're two-speed. Seeing as my truck's a 5-speed I don't need the the trans cooler in the radiator, so I had on old radiator...
  16. Trans noise when moving.

Hey all, I just swapped the clutch in my '97, 4WD last weekend. It's all doing fine, but for the longest time I've had a kinda scraping noise when the truck's moving. It's been there for years, and doesn't matter if I'm accelerating or decelerating, it's present when I'm moving. I changed fluid...
  17. Rear main seal...sleeve

I'm in the midst of putting the clutch in my 97, 4.0. I bought a rear main from Felpro that came with a sleeve. There was not a mark on the crank. Is it ok to just install this seal and forgo the sleeve? It did try to put it on, just for the sake of doing so, but it sure didn't want to go, so...
  18. '97 flywheel, what clutch ?

I'm getting ready to do the clutch in my Ranger. 4.0, 4wd. I'm seeing a 6 bolt flywheel, and an 8 bolt flywheel. Which should my truck have? Any way to tell without tearing it down? I'm also not sure which clutch to get...LUK, or SACHS. Thoughts on these?
  19. '97 ac ?

I started my truck this morning to let it warm up (as I do on the cold days), and when I got back in I smelled a faint odor, almost electrical. The truck's wiring hasn't been tampered with, except for an aftermarket stereo, that's working fine. I did notice my ac compressor not kicking in when I...
  20. EGR tube

Hey all, my 97 OHV 4.0 needs a new EGR valve. I've got it, but the entire piping system is rusted to the point of it's not gonna come apart. The only option i can see is replacing the tube/pipe that screws into the rear of the driver's side manifold, but I can't figure out how to get on it to...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad