• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Binding in 4wd??

Recently when 4x4 is engaged, there is a severe binding in the transfer case; definitly not in the front drive shaft or CV joint. Now the 4x4 won't engage at all... Last winter I did the permanent fix for the vacuum hubs; - I.e. The permanent lock trick in the tech forums. I sure hope I'm not...
  2. Specialty tools

Other than common hand tools like sockets, ratchets, wrenches etc., what would be the 5 HAND TOOLS you find absolutely indispensable when working on your car or truck? I'm thinking along the lines of crow's foot wrenches, thin wall sockets, flare nut wrenches etc., but any HAND TOOLS will...
  3. Running/driving with idler pulley removed

The evil gremlins that came with my truck have been slowly causing the idler pulley bearing to pack it in over the last few weeks. I took it off today and called the bearing shop about a new one. It'll be a couple days to get here. For the record, I did pop the dust seals and try repacking it...
  4. Seats from a 2007 into a 98?

I noticed a 2007 supercab as a parts truck advertised nearby, and I'm wondering if the seats will bolt into my 98 regular cab? Or possibly with slight modifications?:icon_welder:
  5. Airbag light on.

Every time I start my truck, the airbag light will flash for a while, then stay on steady. I read a thread about the sensor under the passenger seat being a trouble spot, so today I pulled the seat to have a look. There's no sensor under there... at least not on mine. No clips, no wires...
  6. Rusted fasteners.

It seems my new hobby is fixing the high mileage Ranger in my sig. So far, every single fastener I've even looked at is in advanced states of rust or oxidation, ranging from stubborn to obstinate to seized to fossilized. I've used penetrating oil, heat and vibration on the ones I've had to...
  7. 5 spd shifts much easier dead cold?

The high mileage truck in my sig line has the 5 speed tranny. I've done all the usual driveway tests on the clutch, and everything seems fine. I've never really noticed anything untoward about the clutch at all. What I find odd is that when I drive away dead cold (it is winter here in Northern...
  8. Performing a compression test....

Canadian Tire has a compression tester kit on sale this week. I think I'll pick one up and do a test on my truck for kicks, and replace the spark plugs. Once the fuel system has been unpressurized and the ignition disconnected, I presume it's normal to use the starter to turn over the motor for...
  9. OK, don't laugh... where the heck is my block heater?

I can't find the block heater on my 98 3.0... where the heck is it located? :huh:
  10. Need to replace my throttle cable; any tips?

My go pedal cable is fraying right at the bracket where it exits the cable casing. Any handy tips for replacing before I start cursing? Will I need to pull the damned dash to get at it by the firewall? :icon_confused:
  11. Name that part...

What's the part called that joins the end of the stabilizer bar to the bottom of the lower A arm on the suspension? I have a broken one.
  12. Converting open diff to LS?

How would I go about converting the open 7.5"/3.73 rear diff in my truck to LS? Would I have to swap in a new axle with the right diff, or is it a matter of changing parts? Thanks!
  13. Who do I owe?

I feel indebted to whichever genius member first figured out the driveway mod for the vacuum pulse hubs on the 98-00 4X4. I haggled down a seller by $1500 for the 4WD malfunctioning, bought 4 new studded winter tires for $600 all in, did the mod in the snow in my back lane, which took 4 minutes...
  14. '98 Specs?

Update: Now A Journal Of The High Mileage Ranger Lol I'VE DECIDED TO CHANGE THIS THREAD TO A JOURNAL OF THE FUN OF BUYING A HIGH MILEAGE TRUCK. UPDATES IN RED AS I GO, AND SUGGESTIONS WELCOME! UPDATE: I bought this truck on Saturday. She's high on the miles (283000Km), body and interior are...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad