• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. ROLLFM II

Original thread got too long and convoluted. Time for new chapter of rambling. My four-oh had slow coolant drip at timing cover. I poured half bottle of Bar's Liquid Aluminum in and it hasn't lost a drop since. Good stuff...
  2. Ramblings of life long Ford man

Thing I liked best about cologne 2.8 was gear drive timing. Pushrod 4.0 is quite durable but replacing timing chain is no easy job. Why didn't Ford make it gear drive too? They should have since you can't replace chain without putting motor....
  3. Ultimate ranger heater control valve

For people tired of buying new hcv's here's one guaranteed not to rust, bust or leak. Aoblast all brass ⅝" four way valve. Manual operation is small inconvenience compared to replacing it.
  4. Lousy heater control valves

Another rant from this blue oval lifer. Trusty ranger is on its second heater control valve in three years. No, they're not OEM so I don't expect them to last long as factory. But I do expect cheap one to last more than 15 months before start leaking! Back in the good old days they were metal...
  5. Bosch vs NTK

When I went to get new Bosch O2 sensor for my trusty ol' pushrod 4.0 parts guy recommended NTK. Said they're better. Googled his claim and half dozen posts said same thing. What's the blue oval coalition opinion?
  6. wimpy O2 sensor

Five years ago I had to replace left bank oxygen sensor causing rough idle and throttle hesitation. Several days ago symptoms return. Read data stream and same sensor has erratic output now. OEM one lasted 15 yrs. Aftermarket one barely 5yrs. That's disgusting....
  7. Hi tech blessing and curse

Computerized fuel injection and DIS are blessing when work properly and curse when they don't. Most problems are fairly easy to diagnose and repair. But intermittent malfunctions can be difficult and frustrating things. "Dive-bombing" is costly and shop rates are way expensive. Almost miss...
  8. big buck carburators

Friend wanted large 4 barrel for hi revvin' small block drag motor he was building. In my street/strip days, I ran Holley double pumpers religiously and suggest trying one. Poor man freaked when he saw 750-850 cfm Holley cost $800! I bought them for $100 new and ≤$50 back in 60s/70s. Why are...
  9. Crazy brakes

Nothing to do with rangers but it is Ford related. Friend has 1970 F600 diesel with Lucas-Girling hydromax brake system. Shop manual cost more than he can afford. Info I gathered from big truck forums is enough to figure out how they work and identify major components. Can't find electrical...
  10. Weird no start experience

My 96 4.0 ranger suddenly wouldn't start. Crank fine, plenty of gas, no blown fuses, loose connectors or suspicious DTCs. Didn't hear fuel pump run but gas squirted out when pressed Schrader valve on fuel rail. Before checking anything else I tried one more time and old truck fired right up...
  11. going nowhere fast

Hey TRS'ers, The odometer and trip meter in 96 Ranger just up and decided they were tired. Both completely quit. The speedometer is still working fine. What is it in the speedo that causes this and how much trouble is it to fix?? Got to be cheaper than replacing the whole thing.(I hope) Rc
  12. door lock hassle

Hey TRS'ers, Right door on my 96 Ranger would not unlock with key. Got manual door locks, thought I had an easy fix. However, once I took the panel off and started looking around, found a stupid little plastic piece(door lock "pawl") was broken. I checked all the usual parts places, no body had...
  13. gasket or not

Hey TRS's, Got a quick question about 4.0 coolant outlet pipe. Changing the thermostat on my truck. Got a new t-stat and the fancy rubber seal ring. When I started to clean the mating surfaces, noticed there was NO gasket between the manifold and flange of the outlet. It had what appeared to be...
  14. pluggin' away

Hey TRS'ers, Got a question about spark plugs in 4.0 motors. I have a '97 Ranger with the big V6. Changed plugs a few years back, no problem. Other day I wanted to replace them again. Went to local parts store, asked for same type/number but they were out. Said that particular plug had been...
  15. pluggin' away

Hey TRS'ers, Got a question about spark plugs in 4.0 motors. I have a '97 Ranger with the big V6. Changed plugs a few years back, no problem. Other day I wanted to replace them again. Went to local parts store, asked for same type/number but they were out. Said that particular plug had been...
  16. goofy gauge

Hey TRS'ers, Anyone seen this before? Temp gauge in my '96 Ranger 4.0 will slowly hunt up and down while running at steady speed. Goes up to about 2/3 way then down to about 1/4 scale. Repeats the cycle every three - four minutes. While this is going on the engine seems to runs the same and...
  17. get tanked

Hey TRS'ers, I have a '96 extended cab Ranger and need to get the gas tank off. Hole in it somewhere. The blasted thing is about 6' long and front part rests on a non-removable cross member. I can't slide it back enough to clear that cross member without hitting the rear axle. HOW do I get...
  18. t-case diagrams

Hey TRS'ers, Where can I find some GOOD 1350 parts diagrams? Got an old Haynes book, too many greezy fingers been in it. Hard to see them innards....... RCC
  19. in the dark

Hey folks, Got a question about headlights. '85 B2 in particular. Lights started going off at random about a month ago. Only headlamps. Running lights, dash, etc are fine. When off, working the switch, dimmer, wiggling harness, has no effect. After a minute, they come back. Seems to get more...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad