• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. P0133 Code...

Throwing one of these on my 4.0. Looks like a straightforward 02 sensor code (AFAIK these might damn well be original at 230k miles). But the live data is odd (see screenshots). I get reasonable freeze frame fuel trims, but the live trims are way off on all the sensors, so I don't know what to...
  2. Self adjuster setup?

Just replaced a rusted/leaking brake line, wheel cylinders and shoes. All went ok except that the self adjuster is wonky. Doesn't seem to adjust. Pics attached, it was in this position when removed, and both adjusters were all the way in despite significant shoe wear. The pawl doesn't engage...
  3. Y-pipe leak

Failing inspection because of a leak between the y-pipe and cat. A couple of questions: 1) Looks like 3 bolts holding everything together. Ain't no way those are coming out. I think I have enough room to get a sawzall in there at the joint. Yes? Other suggestions? Do I need to unbolt the Y-pipe...
  4. Upper reverse lights don't work?

Trying to get this thing to pass inspection (they failed me for a serpentine belt, c''mon!) and noticed that the reverse lights above the cab don't work. In the tail lights work fine. No voltage at the plug, though the brake light works ok. The wiring disappears behind the headliner. Wondering...
  5. What parts do I need for a cat back exhaust?

I'm rusted out from the cat back, and need to replace the exhaust. '97 supercab 4.0. I'm having a hard time finding a good diagram or complete parts list for what I need. I'm going to be doing this in a remote area, so it's going to be a PITA if I realize I'm missing some stupid $2 part. Here's...
  6. ABS Troubleshooting?

'97 Ranger 4.0L 4wd. ABS light has been on for a week or so. For some reason, I'm having a hard time finding good troubleshooting info. Pretty sure I have RABS, how can I confirm? 1. Pulling codes. Not sure how to do this on this model? Do I have the jumper-able connector? Under the parking...
  7. New master install success (?)

Pulling into my driveway last week, started getting difficult to shift, and pedal went halfway to floor. Tried the haynes bleeding procedure, which was a miserable failure. Remembered what a PITA this was--the truck hasn't been easy to get into 1st/reverse since I got it 5 years ago, and I went...
  8. Source for new exhaust?

While looking for the source of my exhaust leak, found that the pipe-->muffler connection was rusted in two. I had been looking for a subtle leak ;) I'm looking for a source for a cheap but decent cat back system. I don't need it to sound good (I'm getting old, and it's only 160ish HP--I'd...
  9. Strange CEL/?lean problem

So I have intermittently had a CEL with codes p0171/p0174 (both banks lean) since i got the truck ('97 4.0 4wd) a few mos/11k miles ago. If i reset them, it usually takes at least a few hundred miles for it to return. Last time around (maybe 500 miles), i also got a P0402 (too much EGR flow)...
  10. Cel P0402/p0171/p0174

Have had intermittent issues with the last 2 codes (banks 1&2 too lean) triggering the CEL. Got a fancier scanner to do some more diagnostics, and noticed the first code now also showing (EGR flow excessive). All of my fuel trim codes (SHRTFT/LONGFT) are at -100. All of the O2 sensors are...
  11. Best tire pressure?

I'll be towing a slide in camper right at about the GVWR of my '97 4.0L 4wd (5100 lbs). I'm missing my door sticker, so i'm not sure of the recommended tire pressure; i imagine i'd like to be on the high side with the load. 35 psi or so sound right?
  12. what's the "payload package"?

saw on another site that "payload packages" were offered as options on rangers (i have a '97 4L 4wd ex cab) that increased the GVWR from 4920# to 5100#. 1) how do i tell if i have this package? 2) what's the difference in packages? i'm trying to maximize my GVWR...
  13. how to beef up my rear?

just bought a slide in/pop-up camper for my '97 4.0. the plan is a x-country trip next month. i brought it home 70 miles, and it actually did ok, but it looks like the rear end is straining. truck has 185k miles on it; probably original shocks. trying to figure out the best way to minimize...
  14. #$%@ clutch bleeding

so just bought a '97 4.0L. when i bought it, there was an issue with hard shifting--guy thought it was the slave, which he replaced without improvement. so then maybe it was the MC. he was going to replace it, but i drove it around for a few days, which seemed to help the shifting quite a...
  15. Hard shifting when stopped?

I'm about to purchase a '97 4.0L 4wd ext cab 5sp ranger. Problem is that it is difficult to get into gear when stopped, engine running. When moving it shifts fine. Engine stopped, it shifts fine. Guy i'm buying it from assumed it was the clutch slave, and replaced it, but the problem is...
  16. Which trucks had traction control?

i've been looking at picking up a mid-90's ranger. it seems that some of the 2wd's had traction control, but most of the dealers/owners don't seem to know if their trucks have it. is there any way to tell short of jacking up one side and turning a wheel? looks like it isn't a huge deal to get...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad