• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Do I need new shocks with 2 inch coil drop?

2" coils and stock length shocks will be fine. Anything over a 2" change in suspension travel is when you'll need to change shock length. I've had shocks designed for lowered vehicles and never really liked them. They always seemed sloppy to me and never seemed to last. I preferred a...
  2. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

2 inch drop

Different year Ranger, but my 2" coils didn't put me on the bump stops. I was riding pretty close to them so I simply cut them in half. I had enough suspension travel as long as I wasn't being stupid. They do make aftermarket ones that are lower profile if you want to buy something. James
  3. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Head swap 2.3 NA to Turbo

Can an 89 turbo block have a 96 8 plug head put on it? I've already had my head worked over and even the turbo valves installed in it. In a lot of ways it would be easier to keep the 8-plug head. The guy that did the head feels the heads would flow about the same considering the work put into...
  4. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Bullitt/DJM 4/5 installed today

Nice combo, what size tires did you choose?
  5. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Are short shocks needed w/ Beams

No, your shock length doesn't change with a beam install. You may want to get a better performing shock though to compliment the lowered stance.
  6. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Explorer axle questions

Drop shocks aren't needed until you pass 2" of drop. With the beams, your shock length doesn't change. Add 2" coils and you still don't have to change your shocks. I would recommend better performance style shocks though. I've been running stock length front shocks on my truck for years and...
  7. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

It's been awhile

It's been awhile since I've been on here with any consistency. Bought a house, had a kid, had to fix/update house, had another kid, bought a bigger truck...........the normal distractions. Still have the house, still married, still 2 kids but my Ranger has been dormant for about 3 years now...
  8. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Ford ranger lift maybe?

You may want to post this in one of the "lifted suspension" forums. You may get a better response there since this is for "mini-trucks".
  9. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

New shocks for a 2" drop?

Drop shocks are suppose to be valved differently to help compensate for the lowered suspension. OEM length shocks are suppose to be good +/- 2". I would just run them until you are ready to replace them. James
  10. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Sway Bar HELP

I am not sure on that. I would assume that any RBV would work on the Ranger. I went with a hellwig bar. I really liked it on there and it came with everything I needed. James
  11. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Sway Bar HELP

Yep, got one of those too. You may need to cut down the end links that you get with a kit. I took mine off when I did the spring hangers and shackles last year and haven't put it back on yet. I am hoping to get some time for that in the next few weeks. Any particular questions? James
  12. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Sway Bar HELP

Check to see what exactly is rubbing. I had to rotate the bolts on the adjustment sleeve to clear mine. You can also flip the sway bar. I have an aftermarket bar and it actually cleared better then my stocker. James
  13. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

biggest static drop 97 ranger?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/DJM-DB3001-3/ That's the lowest I found on a quick search. Beams aren't cheap, but it's the only right way to get more then 2". James
  14. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

If you notch the frame, yes. I'm dropped 6" in back with drop leaves. I thought about flipping my shackles when I replaced everything last year but it brought me WAY to close to the frame and I'm not willing to notch until I know what I'm doing rim/tire wise. James
  15. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Without going crazy on the front frame, 5" is about it. I'm so close to my frame I had to turn my adjustment sleeve on my end links so they would clear. You could always notch the front frame for more clearance, but by that point your front wheel wells will be in the way. James
  16. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Bullitt Rims

Anyone here have them on their Trucks? If so, what year is your truck, backspacing and manufacturer of the rims. I'm looking at an aftermarket set right now and they seem to be the only wheels I can get in the sizes I want since front and back won't be the same and I don't want to run a 20"+...
  17. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

5/6 drop on 96

I can't run the stock size tires on the front of my 5/6 (that has probably sagged a little more over the years). It depends on what your stock size tires were. I'm currently STILL searching for my ultimate rim/tire combo. My measuring and experience with different size tires has led me to...
  18. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Capability of a 3/4 drop

You'll be fine. My 96 is dropped 5/6 and in winter has 24" tall snow tires on it. I moved several times in it, hauled appliances without issue. It depends on how you drop the rear for clearance. I'm still spring under, I bought lowering springs for it so I didn't loose the drop + the axle...
  19. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Wheel and Tire Fitting

The offset of the rims is going to be VERY important. I've heard of people getting the 9" up front, but not sure about the 10.5" in back. You need to do some searious measuring on your truck. James
  20. ILLEGALCONCEPTS

Wheel and Tire Fitting

Lower it first, you can "almost" always get rims to fit a drop. It's hard to make a drop fit the rims. My 15x8's in the rear didn't clear with the stock rear end with the 275/60's. They worked perfectly when I first dropped the truck a couple inches, but when I went all the way it was scrub...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad