• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by nadsab

1. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

Wow lots of good info thanks everyone. My neighbor ace mechanic suggested about a week ago on the bed - if I keep the bed and just clean/fix it up - he mentioned sliding a 2x4 under the bed which gave me an idea. What I was thinking if I keep the flare side bed - what if I just removed the...
  2. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

Thanks. So I should go for a short bed to replace the flareside. I assume the longer 7' bed won't fit, only the 6' bed - is that correct?
  3. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

OK question about the bolt holes in the bed. The front two bolts and bolt holes just in back of the cab are gone - and so are the bed supports for those two bolts it appears - so new bolt brackets would need to be fabricated/welded on. The four bolt holes in the rear look OK though - needs new...
  4. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

I just read that on some web site - maybe I got the wrong info.
  5. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

So from what I understand if the U-joint is bad the entire steering shaft needs to be replaced is that correct?
  6. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

Yes...which is why I asked the question...the two parallel plates I mentioned above are part of the frame. I'm glad you brought up the steering U-joint though. I suppose that could be the problem for the sloppy or loose steering.
  7. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

Anyone have any thoughts/experience/opinions on the steering situation I posted a few days ago above?
  8. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

Thanks RonD. Ok another related question. Factory specs say payload capacity for a 1997 Ranger 2.3 liter is about 1,250 lbs and towing capacity is about a ton. Can I both TOW a ton AND LOAD the box up to 1,250? Or is it an either-or situation?
  9. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

Oh gosh thanks so much everyone for the comments! SO MANY of them! I have a question... My neighbor who is very good and does fabrications as well as mechanics - he took a good look at it yesterday and I'll call him back today to talk more about restoring it - I think he is pricing out some...
  10. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

Thanks much for all the comments! OK I spent some time on my back yesterday trying to decide if I want to do this or not. There are definitely areas that need to be cleaned up/welded if I keep this and make it roadworthy again. Mainly body stuff and the cross members on the underside of the...
  11. 97 Ford Ranger Step Side, 2.3 liter; should I sell, scrap or keep & put in new engine/trans?

As secondary question, what are the most vulnerable or at risk areas of the chassis should be looking at – to check if chassis is still road-worthy for another decade or hopefully more…which areas are most prone to rusting out first…? Or floor, bed, etc?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad