• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by HardcoreKeith

1. HardcoreKeith

IMRC end cap on intake manifold breaks off causing vacuum leak

When this happened to my truck I couldn't find very much info about it and it took me 3 days to figure out, but since I fixed it I've seen a couple other people mention it so I figured I'd post. At one point recently my truck started misfiring a little and idling rough. The next day it got...
  2. HardcoreKeith

o2sensors and thermostat

I use the "replace when parts break" method, so if your thermostat is opening at the correct temperature, and your o2 sensors are providing the correct output, why would you bother to replace them? If you don't know whether they are or not, then I'd check before you blow money on them. Edit...
  3. HardcoreKeith

poor mpg...

Um, turn off the AC, overinflate tires, draft semis, coast down hills in neutral with the engine killed? I only do about 2 mpg better than you, but I'm extremely pleased with my truckie's fuel economy.
  4. HardcoreKeith

Ideas on slight coolant leak

I've not come across one in my travels, but aren't those like $15 for a new one?
  5. HardcoreKeith

Thanks for the suggestion. My coolant level seems to be staying right where it is now. No more pee pee puddles under my truck :D Actually, while I was in there I saw that one of the hoses way back behind the engine (maybe a heater hose?) had duct tape wrapped around it :icon_confused: Yeah...
  6. HardcoreKeith

Don't worry, he was just kidding, but he does highlight a good point. None of the parts stores around here will take used coolant, which I think results in most people who do their own repairs "losing" their used coolant in a dumpster. I was able to find a county-run Household Hazardous Waste...
  7. HardcoreKeith

I just filled it through the overflow reservoir. It seemed to work well. The level dropped after I fired up the engine so I topped it off. I'll check it once more when it cools down. Next adventure: Finding a place to dump coolant :icon_confused:
  8. HardcoreKeith

Based on your recommendation I received a new radiator from Radiator Barn today. Here's one thing I didn't adequately explore: How do I refill the new, capless radiator? Attach the lower hose, and then stick a funnel in the outlet for the upper hose? Fill it through the overflow reservoir...
  9. HardcoreKeith

03 2.3 how many miles is it good for

You gotta figure it's built Mazda tough, right? :D
  10. HardcoreKeith

Well, the leak got worse, which made it easier to see. It seems to be coming from a pinhole leak in the radiator, just below the neck to which the upper hose attaches. Anyone think JB Weld might do the trick? It looks like the radiator might be plastic instead of metal... :icon_welder:
  11. HardcoreKeith

It's like the joke you play on the new kid. "Hey, could you grab me the radiator cap off that ranger..." But yeah, the coolant system is pressurized and only the overflow container has a cap.
  12. HardcoreKeith

I'd say the chance is pretty small, since I don't have one :D
  13. HardcoreKeith

Thursday as I came out of the grocery store I noticed a small green puddle under the passenger side, front, corner of the truck. Upon inspection I was not able to determine where it had dripped from. When I got home I looked again and there seemed to be a few areas that had had antifreeze...
  14. HardcoreKeith

Need more power!!!

Theoretically, there are a couple companies that produce stuff like cams and intake manifolds for the Duratecs. Realistically, you swap in the 4.0L V6.
  15. HardcoreKeith

2.3L exhaust droan and vibration

Only a little bit -- and right around 2000 rpm as well. Actually, there's a really cool place somewhere down there where with the right throttle position I can get the truck to sound like a U haul for a couple seconds if I short shift it a lot. ;)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad