• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by diehard80's

1. diehard80's

EGR Issues

My Ranger has been getting horrible around town mileage and it seems a bit low on power. When I start it up, regardless of engine temperature, it will run fine for a minute, start to sputter for a few seconds like it wants to die, and then snap back to running smooth the rest of the time it's...
  2. diehard80's

Oil Pan

So I've determined that I'm probably going to have to replace the timing chain. Unfortunately, the oil pan needs to be removed in order to take the timing chain cover off. Chilton's says I need to raise the motor and put a couple pieces of 2x4 under it where the mounts are. Is this necessary or...
  3. diehard80's

Lack of Power and Mileage

Hello fellow Ranger owners, My '87 Ranger 2.9L has lost a significant amount of power and fuel consumption has greatly increased. I can also smell a strong odor of hydrocarbons in the exhaust. I haven't checked for codes as of yet, but I am thinking that the timing could be incorrect...
  4. diehard80's

Gutless Engine

My '87 since yesterday has a significantly reduced amount power. It still runs smooth for the most part, just has much less power and doesn't want to turn any faster than about 2200 rpm while in gear unless I bury my foot into the gas pedal. Bad MAP sensor or maybe the ignition timing advance...
  5. diehard80's

Sticky RPM

One of my '87 Rangers has a minor but odd issue with dropping back down to idle. Sometimes if I'm driving with the engine turning about 2k-3k rpm and I push the clutch down to come to a stop the engine will keep turning steadily at 2k rpm, even though I'm not touching the throttle. Then, it...
  6. diehard80's

Hesitating Engine

I have an '87 Ranger with a 2.9L that wants to die after starting up. It works fine during it's fast idle, but then wants to die (and usually does) once it goes down to regular idle, and then it will run fine after a few seconds. Whatever it is, I suspect it is the same problem that causes it to...
  7. diehard80's

Clutch Hydraulic Line

Okay... I'm removing the transmission in order to replace the clutch (and possibly the slave cylinder) but I'm confused as to how to disconnect the clutch hydraulic line. I have an '87 Ranger 2.9L with a 5-speed M5OD transmission. Chilton's manual says to slide the white sleeve down toward the...
  8. diehard80's

Newbie Here

Hello Ranger Station. I live in Riverside, CA and I own two '87 Ford Rangers- one STX and an XLT longbed. I plan to clean them up quite nicely. I look forward to gathering advice from you guys and helping out with some situations that I may have some knowledge about. Thanks everyone!
  9. diehard80's

new oil pressure gage issue

I have an '87 ranger that I'm trying to install an aftermarket mechanical oil pressure gage into. The problem is that the threads in the block are metric, but apparently hydraulic fittings are made standard. Does anyone know a way around this problem?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad