• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by chrisser

1. chrisser

Advice on 87 Ranger tank and driveshaft swap

Have an '87 supercab 4x4. Has an M50D I swapped in and the manual xfer case. I have the bed off working on rust issues. I noticed that the crossmember right under the cab is rusted away. There's also some rusted out on the carrier bearing crossmember, but that one I could probably patch...
  2. chrisser

Drain holes in first generation bed

Been working on the underside of the bed. Got all the rust and holes taken care of, then epoxy primered it, followed by rustoleum and then spray on undercoating. Came out pretty good. Bedsides are off. I now have the bed flipped over and it occured to me there aren't any drain holes in the...
  3. chrisser

Mystery Parts

About to start tearing into changing my core support on my '87. So I started by comparing the old and new to see what I might need to transfer between the two. There are two small brackets at the trailing edge, one on each side. Nothing's attached to them. There are holes on the new support...
  4. chrisser

Front brake line routing

The PO redid the brake lines on our 87 4x4. The line running from the passenger side to the MC basically just arcs under the middle of the engine near where the block mates to the trans. It's not hooked up to anything and isn't bent to really fit anywhere. It just hangs. I worry about it...
  5. chrisser

Bedside wheel arch repair

Wheel arches on the bed of my '87 are pretty rusted. Got some repair panels from LMC to weld in. That will take care of the outside. But the inner liners are also rusted away and they don't seem to be available anywhere. I could probably fabricate something, but since that seam is what...
  6. chrisser

89 computer in 87

I put an 89 engine computer in my 87 to get rid of the EGR system I was having some issues with. Runs a lot better, but I'm still having some driveability problems until it warms up. Went to read the codes today with a meter and I couldn't get any, either engine off or engine on. Is this...
  7. chrisser

Rough idle

Hoping you guys can help me out... Have an '87 Ranger 4x4 with 2.9 MT. It's never run all that well. When I first got it, I put in new plugs, wires, cap, rotor and pickup. Drove it most of the winter. Few months ago, it would occasionally stumble at low RPMs and then suddenly recover...
  8. chrisser

Parking brake - what am I missing?

There's essentially no parking brake on my Ranger. The cable is broken below the pedal pickup and the floor and there's just a rusted up stub after it goes through the floor. Nothing is on it from there back. I can get the three cable assemblies from Bronco Graveyard. I have to assume...
  9. chrisser

Cruise control questions

I have the interior out of my 87. As background, I just finished putting an M5OD in. Truck originally came with a 4 speed. P.O. put in an automatic. I took out the auto. Anyhow, I'm on my back under the dash wiring in the clutch switch. Noticed that the cruise appears to be some sort of...
  10. chrisser

M5OD swap - starter problem

I have an M5OD swapped onto my 2.9 Used the flywheel from the donor Explorer 4.0 M5OD and a 4.0 manual starter I got off ebay. When I start the truck, the starter doesn't disengage. After verifying my modified wiring, I pulled the starter. The back of the flywheel is almost touching the...
  11. chrisser

It's alive!

Last night, I started the Ranger for the first time in a few months after tearing apart the top end, replacing one head and swapping in the M5OD. Couple issues I need to work through. I have an exhaust leak at the manifold I need to take care of, the distributor is a tooth off (I can time it...
  12. chrisser

M5od swap - rubbing underside of floor

Finally got the heads and lower intake on the 2.9 and got the M5od and 1350 bolted back up. While trying to sort out the trans wiring, I noticed that it looks like the trans case is touching the underside of the floor in front of the shifter. I have the floor plate off, and there's plenty of...
  13. chrisser

Drill Doctor

I've been drilling and tapping my heads where the exhaust manifold bolts go. All the bolts snapped off and I've been unable to extract them. I even tried drilling the centers and welding a nut on the stud - no joy. I found that most of my drills dulled before I even finished the first bolt...
  14. chrisser

EGR repair

I finally got the driver side head off. Had to cut the y-pipe (I have a replacement) and take the head off with the exhaust manifold still attached - the bolts are so rusted that they're basically rounded - going to have to cut them off and then try to extract the studs from the head. Anyhow...
  15. chrisser

89+ heads on an older block (2.9)

I'm pretty sure this is the case, but I couldn't find a definite answer in my searches... Will the revised (89TM?) later heads fit up to an earlier block and lower intake? I read that the valve covers are slightly different. I have an '87 with a cracked head. There are 3 Rangers/Broncoiis at...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad