• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1. '87 2.9L Vacuum issue?

Hello all, been browsing the forums but my first post here. Recently acquired a 1987 Ranger XLT, 2.9L, ext cab, auto. Truck sat for a year before I got it, so it took a few love taps on the starter to get her alive. Upon startup, the engine immediately went full throttle, nothing touching the...
  2. 87RangerJake

1987 Ranger 4x4 - My 1st Truck

Decided to make a thread on my 87 Ford Ranger 2.9L 4x4 to keep track of what I've done to it and to get help fixing it up. Bought this truck back on Halloween of 2016 as my 1st car for high school and daily drove it until August 2017 when I replaced it with an 03 VW Passat for the better MPG. I...
  3. Temp Gauge Not Working

Hi there! I bought a 1987 Ranger last month and am IN LOVE. She's perfect, except, the temperature gauge on the dash doesn't work. It's always pointing to the lowest possible "C" position. Before I get ripped off by one of the local shops (not a lot of options in this small town), can...
  4. 1987 2.9l Stalling

I've got a 1987 Ranger 2.9L that typically likes to stall at idle after getting warm, though it has stalled once when going up a hill at near full throttle. At first, I thought it was a dirty throttle body, then the idle air control valve, then broken vacuum lines, then the TFI module. I've...
  5. 87 ranger no spark issues

Hey guys, pretty new to this forum though i have been referencing it heavily as of late to figure out what is going on with my 87 ranger. its is the XLT 4x4 model with a 2.9L Cologne V6 engine in it. I bought it a few weeks ago and everything seemed fine but then the truck would "go hunting"...
  6. 1985 2.8L 2WD Tranny Cross Member and Driveshaft

I have a 1985 Ranger 2WD 2.8L...what is the driveshaft length of a 2WD vs. a 4WD and are they interchangeable? Also, can an '87 tranny crossmember be used on an '85? The bolt holes look the same on-line, but ford's website gives every year a different part number even though they say 83-89 are...
  7. ClodSlayer

Fm145 Sloppy Shifter.

So I've got the mitsubishi fm145, 4w drive hooked up to the 2.3L gasoline engine. Model #: FM145 Assy No: E67A7003FB Build code: 025132 The shifter has been real sloppy, and in taking off the boot and stuff, I found that the source of this sloppiness is the blue plastic ball at the end of...
  8. 87 ranger idles but dies in ddrive

Hey, good friend of mine has a 1987 ranger 2wd 4cyl that idles just fine but as soon as she puts it in gear it jolts to a stop and dies, i think its a tranny problem an i know very little about those, help! Thanks
  9. Noob...

Whats goin on guys. Got an 87' Ranger that I just picked up. It has the 2.9 in it and its a strong, solid truck. Has 155,xxx miles on it and had oil changes every 3k, regularly serviced, and was being sold by original owner... 73 Year old man. Very good find indeed. Whole truck is in mint...
  10. How to change the clutch on 4X4

Hi, I have this awful squeeking sound when the clutch is out, and when it's in you can feel vibrations on the pedal, and makes this racket. So I figure it's the throwout bearing and I've known it needs a new clutch. So what I need to know is everything I need to do to change the clutch and what...
  11. 1987 Ranger HELP ME

I have a 1987 ford ranger 2.3L 4cyl Its my first truck and it needed all new head gaskets, dist cap, sparks,wires, air filt, and a few small things. i replaced all of that. i drove it for 2 months and the transmission is like: 1. Start car go in drive, moves till i let off gas and then i...
  12. What do i need to lower an 87' Ranger

I am new to this site and to lowering trucks... so i was just wondering what i would need to lower my 1987 ranger 3 in front and 4 in rear? I've been looking online and i know i would need I-beams and springs but anything else? Any suggestions would help a lot! Thank you!
  13. 1987 fuel filler neck cross compatibility

Greetings everyone. You're looking at a newbie here. Not only a Ranger newbie but a Ford one as well. Well, not totally, I did have a 1967 Mustang 29 years ago. I have a quick question for all of you knowledgeable Ranger aficionados. As I'm all of you are aware, fuel filler necks are scarce...
  14. Pulling Out Clutch?

You may have seen my previous posts about getting the fitting that is stuck in the slave cylinder out. Well now I've tried about every reverse drill bit, and easy out that is even remotely small enough to even think about using. (also broke 3 drill bits :lame:). So I'm about give up after...
  15. 87' Ranger Replacing Interior

My 1987 Ford Ranger DD currently has blue interior with a "wood" dash. I'm planning on puttin in diamond plate for the dash. I would also like the paint the truck but I have a problem. The interior is blue which would clash with most colors except black, silver, white, and blue(of course). So I...
  16. Clear tube for bleeding clutch

hey guys, I have an 87' ford ranger. and when you bleed the clutch it is kind of hard to get the clear tubing on to the dust cap, I think I might be using a clear tubing of the wrong size. Can someone please tell me what size clear tubing I should be using? Thanks.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad