• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Daniel Black

Do I really need the radius arm crossmember?

1987 Ranger,2WD, 302, Toploader 4-speed. I've had two different 302s in the truck but both times it was removed and installed with the bellhousing already bolted up to the block. I never thought about the need for removing the bellhousing under the truck. Now I've blown the trans and need to...
  2. Daniel Black

2002 Ranger low idle

I picked up an '02 Edge 4x4 cheap to try and make some money on. The previous owner had a new trans installed then this problem started a couple months later so he got disgusted and parked it. It sat since May 2019. I had to replace the fuel pump to get it started so I drained the gas and...
  3. Daniel Black

Career crisis!!

Little back story. I'm 36 years old and my wife and I have a 4 month old baby girl. She's a stay at home Mom. We still rent a home. I've mostly always worked on cars/trucks other than a couple years driving a forklift. I recently left the shop I worked at for the last 6 years. The new job seemed...
  4. Daniel Black

1995 Mustang convertible?

First off, I'm diehard Ford but I've never owned a Mustang before. I'm a pickup guy. I did have an '88 5.0 Thunderbird in high school but that's pretty much it for me and cars. I can pick up a pretty nice '95 with no motor for $800. This was a V6 car that was converted to a carbed 302 still...
  5. Daniel Black

Any toploader experts here?

My toploader 4-speed I use in my Ranger has seen better days. I was quoted $700 plus parts for the rebuild. My buddy has one that I know is good for $600 but it's for an FE motor. This means the snout on the input shaft barely reaches in my 302 pilot bushing. The trans guy pretty much quoted me...
  6. Daniel Black

1st gen radio delete bezel

Does anyone have a photo of an '83-88 dash with radio delete? Is it a plate or part of the dash/cluster bezel? My '87 came radio delete but it looks like they had to cut the opening out of the trim to put a radio in. Oddly they hadn't bothered to add any speakers so I still have the speaker...
  7. Daniel Black

Learn from my mistake

To anyone in the middle of or thinking about a V8 swap, open up the heater plenum far enough to get the valve cover off if you ever need to. At the very least cut the plenum mounting stud closest to the head off flush with the nut. I know, it's exciting getting the motor in and getting it ready...
  8. Daniel Black

302 collapsed lifter!

I have about 160 miles on a freshly built 302 and have a lifter that won't pump up. Should I just change the bad one or change them all? It seems like a fluke deal but now I'm weary of the rest of them. This was a whole set of new EngineTech brand hydraulic roller lifters so not the most...
  9. Daniel Black

Educate me 7.5 guys

On my '87 302 swap I still use a 7.5 diff. It has 3.73 gears and factory limited slip. The problem is the clutches have gone out so only a one tire burnout, even in the wet now. Could it just be the nearly 35 year old clutches or is the V8 the problem? The 302s been in for almost a year but the...
  10. Daniel Black

One tire rub.

What would cause my driver rear tire to rub sometimes but not the passenger rear? This is an '87 2wd. I have stock style front and rear sway bars. I took my first longish road trip since the V8 swap. 165 miles on winding two-lane roads and the tire started to rub pretty good when I'd hustle the...
  11. Daniel Black

Free Radiator and trans.

I've got a 2.0 radiator and a TK 5-speed removed from my '87 Ranger 2wd. Manual trans radiator and the truck didn't have A/C. The trans worked good but had some leaks. I modified a TK 4-speed shifter to fit it. Still has slave cylinder, yoke and trans mount. Removed for V8 swap and couldn't just...
  12. Daniel Black

Wanted E303 cam

I'm looking for a good used FMS E303 camshaft shipped to NC. Paid with PayPal.
  13. Daniel Black

M5OD-R2 abuse

How much abuse can the R2 take? Specifically one from a '98 F150 with a 4.2 V6. By abuse I mean, wide open, on the floorboard, stab the clutch and bang it through the gears. The more I drive my truck the more I wish I had an overdrive transmission but the R2 is my only option cost wise.
  14. Daniel Black

Too much rake

Is a shackle flip the way to get the back of this truck down? Maybe remove the helper spring from the leaf packs? My truck was a 2.0 but is a V8 now. Maybe V6 springs would raise the front and level it back up?
  15. Daniel Black

'70s style engine questions.

I'm hoping there's some people on here that were building motors in the '70s or early '80s. I'm wanting to get that '70s vibe with my 302 even though it's a modern roller motor on the inside. I already have white Tri-Y headers and an old Edelbrock F4B intake manifold. I'll probably find an old...
  16. Daniel Black

1987 2-speed to 3-speed wipers

My '87 has the base 2-speed wiper switch but I have a spare column with the 3-speed delay switch. Most everywhere shows the wiper motors being the same so is it a matter of just changing the switch? I've had some first gens with delay wipers but it seems like there was a relay somewhere to make...
  17. Daniel Black

275/60R15s

Does anyone have a picture of a 83-92 2wd Ranger with 275/60-15s on the back? I already have aftermarket wheels. I have 165/80R15s up front and they're a little taller than my current rear tires. Mine is stock suspension, stock height.
  18. Daniel Black

Anyone know anything about a '64 Comet?

Working on a '64 Mercury Comet, basically a Falcon. Car was a 260, 3-speed on the column, now 289, T10 4-speed. The problem is it's unusual cantilever transmission mount. Are they different between the 3-speed and the 4-speed. The stock one is too long but I'm hesitant to modify it because...
  19. Daniel Black

302 or 351W?

Okay, I already have an older 302 in my 2WD '87 Ranger but I'm going to build a new motor to replace the one I run now. I have a '95 roller cam 351W and a '96 roller cam 5.0 setting in an outbuilding. The 5.0 would be pretty direct swap of course. I'll swap my oil pan, intake, distributor, water...
  20. Daniel Black

1987 2.3 tach to V8

Anyone know how to make a first gen 4-cylinder tach read right with a V8? I've seen lots of stuff on later model Rangers but nothing about 1st gens.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad