• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Learn from my mistake

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
To anyone in the middle of or thinking about a V8 swap, open up the heater plenum far enough to get the valve cover off if you ever need to. At the very least cut the plenum mounting stud closest to the head off flush with the nut. I know, it's exciting getting the motor in and getting it ready to run, tidying everything up. It's really coming together and you're burning through your checklist but take a step back and think about anything you might need to get to or take off in the future. I spent nearly 45 minutes with just a hacksaw blade cutting the stud off so the plenum could come out. I read all about the oil filter trick and patching the box but never thought anything about removal. Maybe this will save someone a headache in the future.

And yes I know I'm an idiot but I can't be the only idiot with a V8 Ranger.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Still not as bad as ford with their diesels (6.0?) that had egr/head gasket issues and you have to lift the body off the frame to pull the heads-and on a 3/4 ton truck.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Still not as bad as ford with their diesels (6.0?) that had egr/head gasket issues and you have to lift the body off the frame to pull the heads-and on a 3/4 ton truck.
That was the 6.4, not the 6.0. My diesel tech didn't think lifting a cab was a big deal- unless the truck had a bunch of aftermarket wiring and/or hydraulics and no bulk head fittings.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
To anyone in the middle of or thinking about a V8 swap, open up the heater plenum far enough to get the valve cover off if you ever need to. At the very least cut the plenum mounting stud closest to the head off flush with the nut. I know, it's exciting getting the motor in and getting it ready to run, tidying everything up. It's really coming together and you're burning through your checklist but take a step back and think about anything you might need to get to or take off in the future. I spent nearly 45 minutes with just a hacksaw blade cutting the stud off so the plenum could come out. I read all about the oil filter trick and patching the box but never thought anything about removal. Maybe this will save someone a headache in the future.

You're not an idiot, ever hear "hindsight is 20-20"?

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That was the 6.4, not the 6.0. My diesel tech didn't think lifting a cab was a big deal- unless the truck had a bunch of aftermarket wiring and/or hydraulics and no bulk head fittings.
Having played the role of junior assistant weekend diesel tech, and having had the opportunity to service heads on both engines, and having done the 6.0 both ways, I will say this:

If I only have to do one head (failed head casting or some such), I will leave a 6.0 cab on. Especially if it is the driver's side.

If I have to pull both heads (doing gaskets and what not) I will pull the cab every time. UNLESS there is some issue of rot/rust that has me concerned about getting the cab bolts out intact.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18

So the bottom bolt and nut that holds heater box your talking about?bottom right corner of box? Im pretty close on dropping my v8 in.i might have to take a close look at that

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Body lift FTW :headbang:

Then I had to change the water pump. Had to pull the grill to pull the Efan to pull the radiator to get the pivot bolt out to pull the alternator. Decided this is freaking stupid and had to fix that too (later)

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
So the bottom bolt and nut that holds heater box your talking about?bottom right corner of box? Im pretty close on dropping my v8 in.i might have to take a close look at that
Yeah, if you're standing in front of the truck it's the bottom right stud.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
You cut it right off?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
You cut it right off?
As close as I could get it to the mounting nut with the valve cover in my way.
20201025_151723.jpg

Mind the mess. After all the frustration getting the plenum off I took a seawall to it then threw some fiberglass on it. Looks terrible but it works, and the valve cover clears now.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
So u did all this because u wanted to take the heater box off after the engine was installed? or was it all for Valve cover clearance issues?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
With it all put together I couldn't get the valve cover off. Then with that plenum stud sticking out so far the plenum couldn't come out far enough to get it off because the plenum was hitting the valve cover. Everything was stuck.

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
I should also add that everyone should go ahead and spend the money on a nice oil filter relocation kit. I'm on cheap filter housing #3 and it still leaks around the oil filter gasket, like the flange itself isn't flat.

svtcards

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3'' front 4''back
Tire Size
245 35 18
What brand relocators have u used so far?trans dapt?

Daniel Black

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
205/60R15 & 225/60R15
What brand relocators have u used so far?trans dapt?
I had the TransDapt kit first but it leaked around the threads. Maybe I cracked it or it's a fluke deal because I still have the TransDapt block adapter and it doesn't leak. Next was a Summit brand housing and now a Perm-a-cool housing and they both leak around the filter gasket. I'd guess after 3 kits and switching to hydraulic hoses I could've bought a really nice kit.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals