• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Interior main wiring connector problem

Not fun. Everything gets stiff with age and heat cycles. Be prepared to wrestle the wire loom around and move it out of the way. Re-attaching will be fun too, so make sure everything is lined up as you attempt to make the connection. Be sure the pins align as using the bolt to draw the parts...
  2. 1990 2.3 alternators

Doing most repairs on alternators is relatively simple. The exception is damaged windings in the stator or rotor. Failing parts that are available, and likely more than is replaced in 're-man' alternators are: front and rear bearings diode array brushes regulator The diode array is likely...
  3. (Re-)Introducing my '85 Ranger

Wow, and I thought keeping my 85 on the road involved a buncha stuff. The brakes seem to develop 'caliperitis' if you don't drive every day or at least a few days each week. I have drippage under the rubber mats & jute padding. Comes from the plenum at the base of the windshield. Have had...
  4. 1989 Cracking fan blades

I think I got the last or one of the last to fit an 85 2.3 about 3 years ago. The old one was losing bits of the blades, and had cracks near the hub for almost each and every blade. I feared it self-dissecting and eating the radiator. You should be able to plug your VIN into one of the dealer...
  5. Ranger 96.starts but wont turn after key cylender broke.

search for an image on the web. Look at the upper side of the steering column, closer to the instrument cluster than the ignition lock cylinder. The switch rids on the top surface, and is operated by a link to the lock cylinder. If you randomly short stuff together, you may damage things. A...
  6. 2.3L ('83-'97) Intermittent sputtering, low power- solved

POP, The factory put stickers on the radiator support or on the underside of the hood showing vacuum line routing. If yours is gone, you may be able to find an image searching the interwebs. From memory, that year had multiple vacuum lines and multiple vacuum switches, depending on the...
  7. 2.3L ('83-'97) 1994 2.3 compression PSI

If it is 'throwing codes', you ought to try to catch them..... and then reveal to the inquiring minds. Getting 23mpg at 55 could be a good result, or a poor one, depending on the model, etc. Not running well is rather vague. Does it stall? poor idle? hesitate upon acceleration? shake and...
  8. 2.3L ('83-'97) Intermittent sputtering, low power- solved

Failing injectors are extremely rare. Loss of power to the injectors would be more likely. There should be 12V on either injector wire with key ON. One side will be grounded when the injector is fired, but it will have the 12V at all the other times. Given new plug wires, I would still...
  9. 2.3L ('83-'97) 91 2.3l cranks but no start-solved

You could have a worn out ignition switch. The electrical part that rides on top of the steering column down a bit towards the firewall. I had mine actually starting to come apart, causing it to just STOP when and where it wanted. Took a bit to determine the switch was giving up the ghost...
  10. 2.0L ('83-'88) 2.0 upgrades

If you have the 1-bbl, then upgrading the intake would make a bit of difference. The exhaust manifold is not too bad from the factory, with a newer factory cast iron being an improvement, and a bolt-on. I don't remember the year, but it would be 4-5 years newer. It just looks better in...
  11. 2.3L ('83-'97) Hesitation problem

What are you using for your ignition? If you have the timing fixed @10btdc, that is not optimum. The original Pinto with a Holley-Weber two barrel had a vacuum advance on the distributor. The secondary was mechanical and remained un-opened until pretty well into the throttle. If you go to...
  12. 2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3 the good and bad

The Lima is durable. The 89-up have roller cam followers, which is a good thing, making finding oil with ZDDP a non-issure. The older cam followers put the lube in a shear condition where they rubbed on the lobes. Without the ZDDP, lobe and follower wear is much more noticeable. Cam &...
  13. Boiling transmission!?

There was a problem when the fluid got hot... and the viscosity lowered.... and there was a bit too much clearance at the torque converter hub to its bushing. More fluid escaped out the sides of the bushing, flooding the return port where fluid could flow back to the pan. Some of the holes...
  14. 2.3L ('83-'97) 2.3 Bad Gas Milage

Many possibilities. What size tires? Have you checked the odometer against known distance? Have you checked for codes(beyond the two mentioned)? Have you checked the integrity of the fuel pressure regulator diaphragm? How good are the plugs & wires? How clean is the air filter? Does the...
  15. 2.3L ('83-'97) 74 Pinto to 90 Ranger

One thing about the 1974 ignition is this: It was ONLY used in 1974. The first year of the 2300, and then electronic from there on out. Finding a set of points may be a search for hens teeth. I may have a set, but they would be used, and sitting in a box for hmmm. (2021-1975=46) about 45...
  16. Changing oil

The Ranger was given the cold shoulder by management, and finally given an overdose in '11, to avoid a new model 'stealing' F-150 sales. So, to fix that, they brought back the Ranger after an 8 year vacay, and have now added ANOTHER truck(let) to compete with the cash-cow F-150. Hmm. I...
  17. 2.3L ('83-'97) Dash warning lights don’t work

Bulbs or the printed circuit on the back of the cluster is different. The sockets that hold the bulbs make contact with the circuit when they are inserted into the opening and twisted CW. If there is corrosion or wear, poor contact can be another cause. Final cause would be the actual...
  18. 2.3L ('83-'97) Estimate check for oil pump replacement on 1995 2.3L

There are three possible leak sources on the drivers side of a Lima 2.3. The oil pressure gauge/warning sender on the side of the cylinder head rearward. The oil filter & mount. The distributor or cover depending on vintage. The dipstick tube could also be considered. And, I forgot the oil...
  19. Crank Shaft Woodruff Key! 1988 need help!

There is a keyway ground into the crankshaft & the pulley. From the pic, vaguely, it appears your key has sheared, allowing the pulley to move on the crankshaft. The key is actually for alignment, aas the bolt torqued should keep the pulley in place on the shaft. Under-tprque, and it can move...
  20. 2.3L ('83-'97) Fuel pump relay problem

Re-wiring so the fuel pump connections are external to the fuse box would be a possibility, but a lot of work. You don't want to mess with the safety stuff designed into the system, and removing that circuit from the box would involve connecting to the conductors underneath the fuse box...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad