• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 2.3L ('83-'97) Mystery wire

Anyone know where this is supposed to go? I can't find it on the schematic. Yellow or orange w/black stripe going towards the alternator.
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) Fuel Pressure issues

Trying to diagnose the running issues with the Ranger. Fuel pressure goes right to 37 PSI when priming and runs at about the same. It starts and idles OK until it starts to stumble, the exhaust gets smoky and the FP goes to 40 PSI. When it smooths out it goes back to 37 PSI. Also, when it shuts...
  3. 2.3L ('83-'97) Mystery sensor

Can anyone identify this sensor? It screws into a pocket in the intake but is not exposed to any vacuum or water. I can't find the part number in the Google machine. This is on a 1985 F.I. 2.3L
  4. A minor annoyance or something more serious

The Ranger has been running great since I replaced the cylinder head. However it is doing something strange very consistently. It always starts right up but after a few miles it will start to misfire and buck a little. After 5-10 seconds it cleans up and keeps going. It does this 90% of the time...
  5. Seat belt refurbish

Hey Gang, the driver's side seat belt was frayed about halfway thru so I sent it off to this place https://www.safetyrestore.com/ and it came back very shortly looking like new. When they say 24hr. turnaround they mean it. Here's a tip: You can purchase the service on eBay from the same company...
  6. 1st Gen tailgate repair.

Hey Gang, I need to repair the tailgate latch on my 85 Ranger. Not sure what size/type of bolt goes in here but I know the head is a Torx. Do I have to remove the entire latch assembly or... It doesn't appear there is anything for the bolt to screw into. Thanks
  7. Timing question

So I have an '85 ranger with the 2.3 and EFI. I want to check the timing but the sticker on the front says I need to "disconnect the black single wire near the distributor". I don't see a single black or white wire nor do I see a shorting bar to pull out. Without pulling the wire or shorting...
  8. EGR Tube connector

So I replaced the cracked exhaust manifold on my 85 Ranger. It was a different casting number than the one I removed but fits fine except for the EGR tube fitting. The one I removed has what looks like a 1"-13 thread size and the new one is much smaller at 11/16 -13. Is there an adapter...
  9. Tming marks

Hey gang, replacing a cracked head on the '85 Ranger. I put the timing mark on the crank at TC with the rotor pointing at the #1 cylinder. The inner timing cover is broken so I am missing the pointer for the cam but have it lined up with the auxiliary bolt so I think I am good there. When I...
  10. Engine dies unless EGR is unplugged

Here is the situation. 1985 Ranger with the 2.3L FI. It has been idling poorly and been missing occasionally. Now, it will start right up but after a few minutes it will idle down and eventually die although it will start right back up. One thing I noticed is it will idle much better with the...
  11. Hunting Idle

Hey Gang, The Ranger is running pretty good at the moment but it has begun idling a little rough. It will be fine and all of a sudden the idle will drop and chug for 10 sec or so and then it will recover and be fine. It will cycle on and off like that for as long as I am at a stop light. If I...
  12. 85 ranger rear end swap

Hey Gang, we upgraded the old stock 14" wheels to 15" with 30" tires. We like the look and the ride much better but we lost some acceleration and made 5th gear just about unusable. It has the stock 3.45 gears and I would like to swap the rearend out for a 4.10. I researched this in the tech...
  13. 85 2WD max tire size

Bought some nice looking stock 15" ranger wheels. They came off a lifted 4 x 4 and have 30" tires. Any chance these will fit our '85 2WD with leveling springs? I'm thinking not so what should be the max size I should consider? I have been looking at 215/70-15s. TIA, Jim
  14. Vinyl floor install

While I am working on the suspension I thought I might as well install the black vinyl floor I picked up from LMC. I have the interior out and the vinyl in but it is much bigger than needed. I think when you order the standard cab they send you the extended cab anway. Any tips on getting this...
  15. Transmission swapped now speedo off

So I swapped in another TK5 in my daughter's ranger. It works great and only cost me $200 but now the speedo reads high about 11% or so. I used the same cable and gear. I know I can get change the gear on the cable to compensate but someone told I could just swap out the gear in the tail end of...
  16. Abrupt throttle

Probably a good enough description of what it is doing... I replaced the intake, tps, ect, act, EGR and cleaned the throttle body real well. It is idling a little high but otherwise runs really well. The only thing is it seems to be a little abrupt on the throttle. That is, when you are...
  17. 1st Gen 2WD Lift

Hey now that I have all the major stuff fixed on my daughter's '85 2wd longbed I was going to look at leveling it. I see a lot of spacer kits on ebay that promise to level the front end for about $50. Is this the way to go? I have also seen new +1.5 springs advertised for about twice that. Is...
  18. Input shaft seal

Hello Gang, I am finishing up swap of a better (hopefully) TK5 in my daughter's ranger. I purchased a new output shaft seal but the guy at the auto parts store told me I would be crazy not to replace the input shaft seal while the transmission is out. I assume I just take off the plate and it...
  19. driveshaft removal

Hey gang, Pulling the trans today. I got all the bellhousing bolts out and am ready to drop the driveshaft. The problem is those darn pinion bolts are really on there! I am using a 1/2 impact on full juice and they have not budged. I have them soaking in liquid wrench now while I contemplate my...
  20. Low MPG

Hey what kind of mileage should I be expecting on my 85 Ranger? I have the 2.3 FI, 5 sp, 2wd, long bed with stock tires / no lift and am only getting 22 combined. This is a high mileage engine that starts and runs pretty good. I've already changed out most of the sensors. I guess the next thing...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad