• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. ab_slack

Steering Rack lines

My 2002 Explorer 4wd V8 has developed a leak at one of the lines on the steering rack. It is one of the two metal lines that connect between the left and right ends of the steering rack. I see these sold as part of the steering rack, but not as separate items. Can these lines be...
  2. ab_slack

02 Explorer 4.6L coolant

I've been using the Prestone conventional "green" coolant forever but discovered yesterday when I went to pick up a gallon that none of the places I frequent carry this, they instead offer a cooant for "all vehicles" that claims to be compatible with all coolant types. I hate change and am...
  3. ab_slack

MAF sensor and fuel trim values

2002 Explorer 4.6L V8 Chasing a problem where vehicle seems to run fine but when keying off then trying to restart after a 10 minute drive it dies. I am trying to understand the fuel trim values as relates to being lean or rich. I did get a P0171 code at one point suggesting lean, likely a...
  4. ab_slack

2002 Explorer 4.6L dies when warm

Seems to start fine and run fine till it gets warmed up then suddenly runs rough and stalls. My guess the issue is when tries to get into closed loop operation. Prior to this, about 4 days ago I got a CEL and P0174 code, later P0171 as well but it was continuing to run well. I was getting...
  5. ab_slack

2002 Explorer Trans Drain/Fill

Okay, I am pretty certain I been losing some trans fluid. I've been thru this in the past so know the drill. My issue is I am unable to get the fill plug open so it looks like I have to pull the full drain/fill plug. Simple enough but I what I am finding for a replacement doesn't seem to...
  6. ab_slack

Axle shaft slip joint

Looks like I finally need to pull apart my right axle shaft again as the final u-joint has gone. Since I'll be pulling this apart, for the slide joint (not sure of proper name) on this axle shaft, what is the proper type of lube/grease that should be used. And while I am under there I think...
  7. ab_slack

2002 Explorer Green/Blue brake fluid

It seems my brake fluid has turned a dark green or blue. What causes this and what are the effects? I am thinking I should fully bleed and replace all the fluid.
  8. ab_slack

Coil On Plug Fuse Blowing

Last night my 2002 Explorer died on the highway. It has a 4.6L V8. I found it had blown Fuse 38 in the under hood fuse box which is listed as "Coil On Plug" I replace the fuse, vehicle started and I managed to get a couple miles with engine seeming to run fine before the fuse blew again...
  9. ab_slack

2002 Explorer 4WD not engaging

2002 Explorer, 4.6L V8. As the title says I have a problem with 4WD. Initial thoughts went to the controller or the shift motor, but not sure how to interpret the symptoms. When I select 4x4 the 4x4 light comes on in the instrument cluster. The front wheels are not engaging. In slippery...
  10. ab_slack

On the road, explorer overheat

Currently traveling and about a thousand miles from home. 2002 Explorer 4.6L V8, got sudden hissing sound, sure enough coolant spraying out someplace int the back of the engine. A quick look and I couldn't find source. Let it cool, put 3 gallons of water in and drover it the few miles back...
  11. ab_slack

Ignition Noise pickup by receiver

Not exactly a ranger, referring to my 2002 Explorer with 4.6L V8, this has coil on plug arrangement. Getting very bad ignition noise pickup in my receiver. It was tolerable until a few months ago when I had it in the shop. While in the shop they had pulled the coil packs for some work being...
  12. ab_slack

Idle Problem when Cold

This is somewhat an intermittent issue and I can't say it happens every time at cold. We have had a problem where our 99 Ranger with a 3.0L would not idle. It would stay running as long as one depressed the gas pedal while starting. Once you take your foot off the gas it stalls. If you don't...
  13. ab_slack

Battery Dying overnight

I am looking for some general input. This is actually for a 94 Jeep Cherokee We've had a problem with battery getting discharged over a relatively short period. Typically days. I was/am pretty sure it isn't the battery itself, but after the battery had been hammered flat a few times and left...
  14. ab_slack

Why would shop set tire pressure to 40 psi?

I just discovered that the shop I had brought my car to for alignment set all the tires at 40 PSI. Why 40 PSI? I always thought my putting them up at 32 PSI was higher than the vehicle manufacturers recommendations. The one thing that has been bothering me since it was aligned is that the...
  15. ab_slack

2003 Escape Catalytic Converter

My daughter, now living across the country, is having a problem with her 2003 Ford Escape. She has problems sometimes starting, sometimes idling. She says it runs fine on the highway. No check engine light. She took it to a shop. The shop is telling her all thee catalytic converters are...
  16. ab_slack

87 BII Bump Steer/Over-steer Problem

Pretty much stock front end on my 87 BII I've recently encountered a problem with the steering. It seems to be most prevalent when I hit some bumps or an unusual direction change in the road surface affecting one wheel but not the other. Such as might be near a storm sewer. In most cases it...
  17. ab_slack

2002 Explorer Airbag Disconnect

I am looking to find out what is the easiest way to temporarily disable the driver side airbag so that it is easy to restore. There will be no passenger so if it is easier to disable both at once than just the one that is fine too. I don't know if there is some fuse that can be pulled. This...
  18. ab_slack

Severe Overheat, Is Engine Shot?

Fortunately this isn't my BII. Isn't even an RBV but some general tips would be helpful to find if this is worth fixing now.. My daughters 97 Nissan Altima with 2.4L "died" while she was coming home from work last week. She claimed the engine wasn't running right and started smoking. Black...
  19. ab_slack

Unknown Part Broke, 2002 4.6L Explorer

While replacing a small hose that blew out in the cooling system (heater hose related I guess) another part was damaged. The hose is easy enough to find but nobody I have brought it to seems to know what the plastic piece is circled in red. The hose is circled in orange. The unidentified...
  20. ab_slack

misfire code, getting CEL to go off

99 Ranger with 3.0L Had a cylinder 6 misfire code. The misfire was quite evident when driving when it showed up. The wire was bad for that cylinder. Opted to replace all wires. Drivability issue solved. The vehicle has an overdue inspection. No big deal it is just an emissions test that...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad