• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. brother rat

sorta new guy

Hi there. I'm currently driving a 2004 Sport Trac 2WD. It runs great, and I really like the vehicle. It is getting older, but only has about 130k miles. The 4.0 SOHC has been a great motor, so far, if not slightly underpowered. Any recommendations on getting even a little more juice out of it...
  2. brother rat

2000 Focus strange behavior

Driving our Focus wagon down the freeway at 75 mph, sudden rattling sound and no power. The rattling was pretty quiet, like I had a piece of plastic or something stuck in the grill flapping in the wind (I actually thought the car next to me had the rattling sound). As the car slowed to a stop...
  3. brother rat

remove dash to replace aftermarket stereo?

1994 single cab. Already has a pioneer afermarket head unit, that I am replacing with another Pioneer unit. I'm not have any luck with the removal tools. Any trick to it? Or do I need to tear apart the dash? If so, what is the most efficient way to get to where I'm able to remove the old unit...
  4. brother rat

2.3 pinging/knock/detonation

My 94 2.3 at 175k recently started pinging on acceleration. Never had a problem with it before, and now it's constantly pinging on acceleration. I saw some mention of this in other threads as being common to the 2.3 I was just wondering who else has the same issue? Just how common is it? Any...
  5. brother rat

I need some guidance

I know this has been hashed and re-hashed. I've read up a lot on this forum and other sources. Here's the deal: '94, 2.3, auto, 2WD. The 2.3/auto is just too anemic. So I'm considering the options and I'm just looking to bounce some ideas around and get feedback. 4.0 swap? 3.0L swap? I'm in...
  6. brother rat

won't idle for long

'94, 2.3, auto, 177k, hasn't thrown the CEL But if I fire up the truck and just let it idle, after about 30 sec. it starts to lope a little bit (almost like a miss, but it's hard to tell, it's pretty subtle) it will idle like that for 2-3 minutes and then start to die, or in some cases it does...
  7. brother rat

Master cylinder leak?

I've confirmed that the brake reservoir is full. When coming to a stop, my brakes work, but then the pedal begins to travel farther and farther and feels pretty spongy. The truck comes to a complete stop. But when stopped I can pretty easily depress the brake pedal all the way to the floor...
  8. brother rat

different tires front/rear

I was wondering if anyone has used different types of tire front/rear on their 2WD (I'm sure someone, somewhere has done so). Either street tires up front and A/T's on the back, or A/T's on the front and M/T's on the back, or any other combination. I'm just curious to see what options anyone has...
  9. brother rat

now I'm really confused

The axle code on my door sticker is 86. That should be a 7.5" open 3.73. What's actually under the truck is an 8.8" (original owner must have swapped) and the axle tag indicates open 4.11 gears. When I lifted up the rear end this weekend, for every complete tire rotation the driveshaft does ~1.8...
  10. brother rat

R&R radiator

My radiator developed a leak, so I'll be replacing it this weekend. I'm assuming it should be pretty straight-forward. Any pitfalls I should be aware of?
  11. brother rat

advice on traction device

My 2WD Ranger has an 8.8" axle with 4.11 gears. I want some type of traction device in the rear, but I'm not really interested in learning to setup gears and what not. So, I'm looking at a lunchbox style locker/limited-slip. The truck is my daily driver and only sees occasional snow/ice...
  12. brother rat

Got my Ranger back after ~13 years

We've had this 1994 Ranger in our family since 1997 and it was my daily driver until I moved away for college. It stayed with my folks and they just recently purchased a newer truck so I got the Ranger back from them. I'll put up some pictures later on when I have a chance. It's a std. cab...
  13. brother rat

please recommend a tool box

I'm going to be picking up my Ranger in a week or so. The first thing I want to do is put a tool box in the bed. Can you recommend any brands (DeeZee, Delta, etc.)? And can you recommend any stores to purchase from? Thanks.
  14. brother rat

Two keys? Just a dumb question.

My Ranger (1994) has different keys for the door and ignition. Is this common to all Rangers? The ignition key also locks the glove box. I know that some Ford passenger cars had a separate key for the trunk, but ignition and doors were usually the same key. I'm just wondering if maybe at some...
  15. brother rat

engine swap under Cali regulations

Hi there. I have a 94 single cab, short bed ranger with the 2.3L which has served very well for many years now. I've been reading up on swapping a 4.0 OHV, I think that would make for a fun little truck. I'm wondering if anyone in California has done this swap before. How hard was it to get CARB...
  16. brother rat

two dumb questions from a newb

I test drove a 1999 Mazda B3000 that I'm considering buying. The brakes felt like they were not very effective (seemed like excessive effort required to stop the vehicle). But no squeaking. I would think that the pads/shoes need replacing but is this just the way that extended cab trucks ride...
  17. brother rat

is this an alright deal?

I posted this in General Discussions but didn't get much response. Thought I'd try my luck here. The vehicle is a 1999 Mazda B3000, 4 door, Auto, 2WD, 170k miles. Asking price is $3,950. I know it's not an amazing deal, because of the age of the vehicle and the mileage. But what do you think?
  18. brother rat

Is This A Decent Deal?

I haven't yet gone to see it in person. In pictures it looks to be in good condition. 1999 Mazda B3000, 4 door, 2WD, Auto, 169k miles. Listed at $3,950. Miles are pretty high, but I'm kinda of the opinion that mileage doesn't mean much on vehicles made in the last 15 years. Thanks for your help!
  19. brother rat

hard shifting trans

I searched around a little, but didn't find much. The transmission (A4LD) in my Ranger shifts really hard at first and then shifts smoother as it warms up. The trans has 161k miles. Plenty of fluid in it and it doesn't seem to be slipping. Any ideas? The only problem that I've had with it...
  20. brother rat

complete ranger history

is there a more complete ranger history available? i am considering getting back into a ranger after having been out of one since the mid 90's. i'd like more details on the specs and the differences between the trim options (edge, FX4, Level II, etc.) with photos. I have seen pictures of trucks...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad