• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 1990 2.9 - Engine Cranks, won't start - At my wits end!

Hey All, Finally had time to look into the Ranger again today... went with my gut feeling that the ignition coil was providing a weak spark -- even though it tested good on the primary and secondary coil resistance, per the OEM manual. Guess what, she started right up! SO FREAKING STOKED!!:D...
  2. 1990 2.9 - Engine Cranks, won't start - At my wits end!

lol I guess back to the drawing board....I'll keep checking and continue to hunt this down until I figure it out. My new ECM should be here tomorrow to match the original P/N. Compression checked good with the pressures I posted when creating the thread. *sigh* tomorrow is another day.
  3. 1990 2.9 - Engine Cranks, won't start - At my wits end!

I did do that, in the video I had already sprayed inside the butterfly valve after i actuated it -- just couldn't do that and hold the phone at the same time. No start. I did the spark test with the test light inline with cylinder 1 spark plug - showed it sparking. PetroleumJunkie - NOT...
  4. 1990 2.9 - Engine Cranks, won't start - At my wits end!

Is there a different way you'd like me to try and test for spark? I'll take another video with whatever way you recommend.... Mary
  5. 1990 2.9 - Engine Cranks, won't start - At my wits end!

I forgot to put that in the first post, the first thing I checked was the inertia switch, as I had a 2004 Ranger Edge that always tripped and thought that has to be it! The inertia switch was good, and I definitely have fuel at the rail, when I depress the schrader valve it squirts out and also...
  6. 1990 2.9 - Engine Cranks, won't start - At my wits end!

Hey everyone, Later than I wanted it to be but as promised, here's some of the testing I completed tonight: 1) Dash Indicators video 2) Spark Test 3) Starter Fluid Test -- I had already opened the butterfly valve and sprayed starter fluid inside as well as at the opening (as you can see)...
  7. 1990 2.9 - Engine Cranks, won't start - At my wits end!

Thanks Ron -- That's what I figured on the ECM -- I have tried pulling the spout connector before as well, I'll do all the things here in the next couple hours and hopefully get it posted. Thanks for continuing to follow!
  8. 1990 2.9 - Engine Cranks, won't start - At my wits end!

Hey Guys, I never took the distributor out when I checked the timing -- I was really trying to not mess with anything too drastic without doing other troubleshooting first. When it stopped running it just stalled out, never to start again so far. When I checked TDC the rotor was pointing at...
  9. 1990 2.9 - Engine Cranks, won't start - At my wits end!

Alrighty guys, here it goes. This story begins with the purchase of 1990 2.9 V6 Ranger with automatic transmission. It ran when I bought it but needed exhaust, it was cut off at the cat. Also, the guy that sold it to me told me said that the vacuum wasn't working at the connection going off...
  10. Let the smoke out... :(

Also, sorry about not posting it in the right spot! thanks for moving it!
  11. Let the smoke out... :(

Well, lucked out and the ECM was still in the '91 at the junkyard. Came back and threw it in my '90 and at least I have lights back again, but still the same problem - cranks but no start. Look for my write up about the truck later. It's definitely time to start scratching some more heads...
  12. Let the smoke out... :(

Well.... I'm new here and I'm the lucky owner of a 1990 V6 2.9 Ranger, I'm planning on doing a write up later today about everything I've done to try to get this beast running again but I'm feeling defeated this morning as I was trying to do some tests on the Air charge temp sensor and the ECT...
  13. Crank no start

Eli, Which ground was disconnected? I know I'm bringing this thread back from the dead, but I've been chasing a situation on my 1990 2.9L and I'm going crazy trying to figure it out. Planning on doing a write up and seeing what everyone thinks here soon. I've done a lot of testing and no luck...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad