• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. What gets rid of UV dye?

Due to several issues with the A/C, and using refrigerant with UV dye in it, now it is getting pretty difficult to tell where things are actually leaking. I used two cans of foaming engine cleaner, but traces of the UV dye still remain. Probably just needs an entire new compressor, but I would...
  2. clip doohickey

OK does anyone have a name for the plastic clip thingies (pointing to one of them)? They aren't attached to anything - guessing they should clip on a spring coil to keep brake lines away from wheel? Noticed that the passenger side brake line has some slight rub marks from the tire. It...
  3. front main seal / crank seal

OK so I'm replacing the radiator (leaking) and all the hoses (geriatric) and also did the water pump and thermostat, while I was in there. Even though the water pump wasn't loose. 23 years and 300K miles.... who knows. The front of the engine is just covered in oil/goo around the crank...
  4. Drove a new one Sunday

Dang, they are a little hard to find. One dealer (closed) had one in the showroom, but couldn't find any others walking around on the lot. Another dealer (open) had 9 so drove one of those. Salesman was a turd so won't be going back there. What struck me, though, is both of those lots were...
  5. Radiator leak at trans cooler connector

97 4.0 OHV, automatic. Wondering if these connectors are compression, have an o-ring, or something else. Noticed a while back that the overflow tank was empty - but I don't drive it much so didn't think much about it. Drove it about 30 miles yesterday and now there's a steady drip. Lower...
  6. 1.7 ratio rocker arms worth it?

Just looking for opinions. My 97 B4000 is getting to where it needs the entire top end taken off, and every gasket/hose replaced. Usual vacuum leaks in cold weather that seem to plague the two-piece intakes.... and I have a place to work on it out of the weather. Close to 300K miles, but runs...
  7. Trak lock question

Thinking of rebuilding the clutch packs in an 8.8 diff..... some random thoughts, after reading the procedure here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/rebuild_tractionlock.shtml My truck is a 97, and somewhere around 300K miles, so best guess is the clutches are beyond worn out...
  8. Explorer spring swap

Explorer spring swap My 1997 B4000 was purchased as a daily driver, and not a serious work or off-road truck. However, after the 2001 dot-com bust, life changed and it went to work in ways that the manufacturer probably never intended. We’ve probably all stuffed the tires into the wheelwells...
  9. Error in spring chart?

Think I found what may be an error in the spring chart, here: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/ford-ranger-explorer-bronco-rear-leaf-spring-specs/ Anyway, years ago I replaced the stock springs in my B4000 with a frankensteined set of various junk. But, I still have the original parts...
  10. do leaf springs have part numbers stamped or etched on them?

Just curious if you can tell what a spring came out of. Does Ford put markings on them?
  11. Explorer spring swap

Killed the springs in my 97 B4000 in the early 2000s - truck got to sagging badly. Read that Explorer and Ranger springs were the same width and length, so off to the junkyard I went. My truck is 2wd, ext cab, 4.0 / auto and came with a towing package. The original springs had one main...
  12. fuel system problem

OK here's my sad tale. Driving truck home (97 B4000 a.k.a. 4.0L OHV) from inspection (passed), it died at a stop sign and would not start. Suspecting fuel system problems, bought a gage. Zero PSI with key on, and no sound from tank. It was already having a problem not holding pressure after...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad