• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. srpierson

Hi, just wrapped up a 5.0 explorer swap into a 2001 Ranger - New member

So I sold this truck to a friend as soon as I had it finished, but here are some pics I took before it left. I've already started collecting parts for the next build, a 2wd M/T 5.0 swap.
  2. srpierson

98 ranger 2wd V8 swap, help needed

Hi 2Krngr, I like your list here, as I'm putting together the parts for a 5.0 2wd M/T swap. However the Ford 4.9 ended production in 1996, so I'm a little confused, do I just need to find a M5OD-R2 from a 4.9 equipped F-150 up to 96? Is there a reason sourcing a trans from a 5.0 equipped F150...
  3. srpierson

2001-up Ranger VSS after 5.0 swap

Yes, the speedo is being driven by the explorer ABS module.
  4. srpierson

Yep, explorer ABS module is working flawlessly.
  5. srpierson

Yes, for reference the donor explorer was a 99 V8 AWD. I unbolted the ABS module from the pump and cut out about 12" of the wiring. I then spliced in the relevant wires in parallel with the Rangers ABS unit. Assuming your Ranger has a rear axle speed sensor you could use a similar set up to...
  6. srpierson

Whoo-hoo, I've Thanks Ron, turns out it wasn't the ABS module at all. When I wired in my PATS to the indicator light I had what looks like in incorrect diagram, at least it conflicts with several other diagrams I've cross-referenced. Essentially I had cut the power wire (Wht/Yel) to the speedo...
  7. srpierson

So I've got my multi-meter and lab scope out checking everything at the Ex's module and I'm getting a VS signal out, nice square wave. Still no speedo action though so I must have a bad splice or something. I'm pretty sure the speedo was working before I started all this...
  8. srpierson

Excellent tip Win, thanks. That's only three wires, I'll hook that up this afternoon and see if that does it.
  9. srpierson

Yeah, that was my thoughts, I even made a little test rig before installing it in the truck, I couldn't spin my tone wheel very fast, but I did get a few bumps from the speed signal out of the Ex's module. Now that it's wired in the truck I'm not driving the speedo like I expected. I need to dig...
  10. srpierson

Thanks Ron, I may go the aftermarket route and I wasn't aware of that module, so that's now a solid plan B. I haven't diagnosed the Ex's ABS module yet. I spliced in the power, ground, switch hot and rear axle sensor, and of course the VSS signal out. I'm hopeful the Ex's ABS module would still...
  11. srpierson

Hi, trucks at my dad's shop on the lift at the moment, so pics will have to wait, I did have a shot of the engine cleaned up and ready to drop in, linked below. More background on the truck: 2001 Ranger Edge 4x4 extra cab. Donor rig: 99 explorer V8, and a BW4406 transfer case. I've got it...
  12. srpierson

Has anyone tried using an Explorer ABS module run in parallel with the Rangers module to provide the VSS after a 5.0 swap?
  13. srpierson

Hi Ranger Station, I've found the info on the site to be really helpful but now I need to actually reach out and ask a couple questions. First, by way of introduction: my name is Sean, I grew up working as a mechanic in my dads repair shop. I have about 20 years of mechanical experience...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad