• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2001-up Ranger VSS after 5.0 swap

srpierson

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Has anyone tried using an Explorer ABS module run in parallel with the Rangers module to provide the VSS after a 5.0 swap?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I would check Pin 19 on the 4WABS Ranger module to see if it has AC volts with rear axle spinning

The Explorer and Ranger 4WABS module has different wiring so not plug and play

But 19 was the speedometer OUT on explorer and not used on Ranger

Would be easier, and known to work, to use an SGI-5E interface spliced to rear axle speed sensor
Then wired to existing grey/black in cab for speedo/odo, cruise and to V8 computer(pin 58)
Also easier to calibrate for tire size and axle ratios

srpierson

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Thanks Ron, I may go the aftermarket route and I wasn't aware of that module, so that's now a solid plan B. I haven't diagnosed the Ex's ABS module yet. I spliced in the power, ground, switch hot and rear axle sensor, and of course the VSS signal out. I'm hopeful the Ex's ABS module would still spit out the VSS signal even though it's not fully wired up or even connected to the pump anymore. Before I spend a bunch of time chasing wiring and poking the lab scope around I wanted to check with the forum if any ones been successful turning the Ex's ABS module into a standalone speed signal generator.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The explorer module converted the rear axle VSS which is 30,000PPM to the 8,000PPM the speedo used, and you could program it for tire size by entering just one number, the tires Rotations per mile
But I think you needed a special programmer to do that

So technically it would just need 12v/ground(power) and rear VSS sensor hooked up, but not sure
ABS light would be activated(not hooked up), and as far as I known that didn't disable speedometer

srpierson

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The explorer module converted the rear axle VSS which is 30,000PPM to the 8,000PPM the speedo used, and you could program it for tire size by entering just one number, the tires Rotations per mile
But I think you needed a special programmer to do that

So technically it would just need 12v/ground(power) and rear VSS sensor hooked up, but not sure
ABS light would be activated(not hooked up), and as far as I known that didn't disable speedometer
Yeah, that was my thoughts, I even made a little test rig before installing it in the truck, I couldn't spin my tone wheel very fast, but I did get a few bumps from the speed signal out of the Ex's module. Now that it's wired in the truck I'm not driving the speedo like I expected. I need to dig in and check all my splices. I'll get to that tomorrow.

win

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Have read the Expo G-Force sensor needs to be included with the ABS module for the Expo solution to work.

srpierson

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Have read the Expo G-Force sensor needs to be included with the ABS module for the Expo solution to work.
Excellent tip Win, thanks. That's only three wires, I'll hook that up this afternoon and see if that does it.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The SGI-5E is lookin' better, lol

But still curious if this works

srpierson

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I've got my multi-meter and lab scope out checking everything at the Ex's module and I'm getting a VS signal out, nice square wave. Still no speedo action though so I must have a bad splice or something. I'm pretty sure the speedo was working before I started all this...

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
VR(variable reluctance) sensors use self generated AC sine wave, so you should see a sine wave form
Hall Effect sensors output DC square waves

The AC signal from VSS should be full form sine wave +1v to -1v approx
Then speedo out would be 0v to +1v, so just the + 1/2 of the pulse/wave

srpierson

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So I've got my multi-meter and lab scope out checking everything at the Ex's module and I'm getting a VS signal out, nice square wave. Still no speedo action though so I must have a bad splice or something. I'm pretty sure the speedo was working before I started all this...
Whoo-hoo, I've
VR(variable reluctance) sensors use self generated AC sine wave, so you should see a sine wave form
Hall Effect sensors output DC square waves

The AC signal from VSS should be full form sine wave +1v to -1v approx
Then speedo out would be 0v to +1v, so just the + 1/2 of the pulse/wave
Thanks Ron, turns out it wasn't the ABS module at all. When I wired in my PATS to the indicator light I had what looks like in incorrect diagram, at least it conflicts with several other diagrams I've cross-referenced. Essentially I had cut the power wire (Wht/Yel) to the speedo. I've redone the wiring behind the cluster and viola, speedo and appropriately blinking theft light.
Out of curiosity I unplugged the G-sensor I wired up and it appears the ABS module is happy to kick out the VSS without it.
So, I can definitively say: You can salvage the donor Explorers ABS module and run it as a standalone speed signal supply. Just wire power, ground, switch hot, rear speed sensor, and speed out.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual

Junglejoe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I take this only works on a 4x4?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Not related to 2WD or 4x4

Its referencing a 4WABS(4 wheel anti-lock brake system) module from an Explorer, which was used for speed signal in Explorer models on some years
Not sure if the Ranger 4WABS module has that firmware/software

srpierson

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yes, for reference the donor explorer was a 99 V8 AWD. I unbolted the ABS module from the pump and cut out about 12" of the wiring. I then spliced in the relevant wires in parallel with the Rangers ABS unit. Assuming your Ranger has a rear axle speed sensor you could use a similar set up to drive your speedo.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals