• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by swampyankee

1. I like the smaller look and feel of flare side rangers =)

I've had 2 Rangers and 2 Mazdas, all 4WD. The stepside 98 Ranger and one of the Mazda trucks had 3.0 v6. I could tell the difference from the 4.0. Less torque and it dowshifted alot more going up hills. The step side bed is about 4" narrower than the style side between the wheel wells. Not much...
  2. What does everyone think of the look of my ranger

I have the twin to that, 2002 silver with black flares. My interior seats are more of a grey tweed though. I put a set of Ford 5 spoke 17" alloys on mine and have oened it maybe 8 years. Its getting quite rusty though, so I'm going to look at the same exact model and color - hopefully in better...
  3. What's your truck's name?

El Trocca
  4. I like the smaller look and feel of flare side rangers =)

I had a step-side and liked the style. Mine was a '98 2 door with 3.0 and alot of miles so I replaced it with an '01 4 door straight bed. I was doing alot of house remodeling and the step side bed is a bit narrower which made carrying sheets of ply and drywall a bit less convenient. But I''ve...
  5. Ranger rust-o-ration

I used to use a B4000 to tow and ramp launch a 23 foot powerboat. Thats what 4 wheel low is for. My current Ranger has the "tow package" but the trans cooler was leaking so I jumpered it out. I'm planning a trip south in a month or so. I plan to keep my eye out for a good rust free Ranger while...
  6. Ranger rust-o-ration

I've been looking for a replacement for my rusty 01 Ranger. So far, any I've seen here in New England has the same rust as mine, even if it hasn't yet bloomed like mine. There is a stepside that the claims to have reinforced the frame and patched the rust. I haven't seen it but he's asking...
  7. 4.0 SOHC timing chain - how troublesome?

I've been looking high and low for a replace for my '01 Ranger. I'm just now reading about the 4.0 SOHC, and the timing chain tensioner issues. I've owned my 01 with 4.0 SOHC for about 8 years, but only 50,000 miles and the only reason to replace is that it's badly rotted out. Should I approach...
  8. Looking at F150 Flareside - stick to book value?

Just talking to a friend of mine who reminded me of how hot the used car market has been. I recall it was maybe a year or two ago but not sure about now. If so, it might warrant a higher price than book, but not sure how much more. I've been doing a bit of reading about the Triton motors, cam...
  9. Looking at F150 Flareside - stick to book value?

What I meant was, the P.O. added the plow to do his driveway only, not commercially. I'm sure it was used for daily driving as well, although the mileage reflects occasional use. Not sure it's sentimental value as much as trying to get as much of a windfall out of "dad's" truck as possible. But...
  10. Looking at F150 Flareside - stick to book value?

Yes, it was only used to plow the owner's 130' driveway. I crawled under it looking for rust, but it was solid. minor surface rust, uncommon for this area. After the current owner got it from the father they put new brakes on the front and accumulated about 10,000 miles on it, so it has been...
  11. Looking at F150 Flareside - stick to book value?

I've been looking for a replacement for my 2001 Ranger which has terminal rust. Very difficult to find a nice, clean, rust-free Ranger here in New England these days so I started looking at F150's. I found a nice low mileage 2006 with all the features I want, plus it's a Flareside (stepside)...
  12. Frame rust evaluation - is it worth keeping?

I'm content with my shortbed extended cab Ranger. LOL
  13. Frame rust evaluation - is it worth keeping?

Good advice. Thats what I was looking for. I'll have to get a good face shield to guard me from the rain of rust. LOL
  14. Frame rust evaluation - is it worth keeping?

I was thinking of getting underneath and knocking on the frame sections with a ball peen hammer to see how much scale falls off and how close the sections are to punching through. But then again, I was looking for pointers on how to go about that.
  15. Frame rust evaluation - is it worth keeping?

My poor '01 Ranger has been sitting neglected for the last few years, but I plan to return it to service. I've replaced the last of the rotted brake lines, but the frame has a fair amount of rust scale on it. Although one rear spring hanger looks like it was replaced prior to my ownership, the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad