• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by PeteFleck

1. Rough Idle

No engine light on.. plugs, wires, fuel & air filter done.. problem seems to only exist once truck is warm/has been running a while?
  2. Rough Idle

Hi there.. I have a 1997 XLT 4.0 OHV.. it was idling rough last year so did the intake manifold gasket which seemed to help, however it is still idling rough/intermittently. What would be peoples best guess as to the culprit?!
  3. Parts Truck

Hi there, I have a high mileage (330,000kms) 1997 XLT still running good with original engine, solid frame. A 2009 4L Ranger with a severely rusted and cracked frame just became available for parts.. will I find much overlap with my 1997 XLT? I’m aware that I have the OHV, not the SOHC...
  4. 1997 XLT Door

Anyone know what this part of the door does.. seems to be part of my door squeak issue!
  5. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

Thanks Ron! Great info.
  6. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

Morning Ron.. on an unrelated topic.. two questions.. my Ranger should be OBD2 compliant? Correct? If so, do you have a particular brand/model of scan tool you would recommend? Thanks in advance, Pete
  7. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

Evening Ron, It’s over! The sleepless nights can stop! I warrantied the ‘new’ shift motor I had bought and the replacement arrived today... plugged it in, turned the switch and bam.. I’m cruising in 4x4 again! What a relief. I’ve learned a lesson or two over the course of this ordeal...
  8. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

Hey Ron.. Going through that list.. I know it is not a fuse, I’ve double and triple checked I know its not the relay.. I’ve tested with 9V battery, and I can hear it clicking away The GEM seems to be functioning.. clicking behind radio I have manual locking hubs But the shift motor...
  9. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

It is very confusing! I’ll do some more testing tomorrow and let you know what I find. Cheers Ron!
  10. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

So according to the table.. my contacts are currently in the Edge 4 position, but the truck is in 2WD.. so I need to reposition the plate on top of the motor so that the contacts read correct for the 2WD position?
  11. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

Hey Ron, Once again, I’m not sure where I would be without your help! Thank you. I will be honest though, I am a little confused by the table in the link above?! What is meant by Edge 1, Edge 2 etc? If you were me, would you replace the shift motor again? It is under warranty, and I...
  12. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

Is it likely that 3 of the 4 contacts are closed for 2WD?
  13. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

Afternoon Ron, So.. I did some continuity testing.. Both at the GEM plug-in, and also on the shift motor wiring harness, I found that I had continuity between the yellow/white wire and three out of the the four contact wires.. purple/yellow, white, and brown/white wires.. Any way of knowing...
  14. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

That assumes that a continuity test on each of those wires individually check out.
  15. 1997 XLT 4x4 Trouble

Just so I know my thinking makes sense.. With the switch in 2-wheel drive, if I test for continuity at the GEM, I should find it between the YEL/WHT wire (pin 12) and one of either A,B,C or D (pins 18,19,20,21).. if there is no continuity on any of those, then the problem lies with the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad