• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Mechrick

1. Mechrick

Dextron II substitute and Park Difficulty

I've done it a hundred times. There are transmissions I won't flush. GM 4L60 and 4T65 for example. Or any transmission that has burnt fluid *and* symptoms indicating a problem. The GM transmissions use stamped steel drums with bonded lip seals that get hard with age and stop sealing. Changing...
  2. Mechrick

Dextron II substitute and Park Difficulty

Maxlife is probably closest to Dex II. Stay away from Dexron VI or Mercon LV, thinner viscosity. The converter may have a drain plug, rotate the crank around to check. To flush some transmissions, I'll break a rubber line somewhere and zip-tie a couple of hoses pointing down into a drain pan...
  3. Mechrick

D35 TTB beam angle

On ttb I don't go for 'maximum caster'. Death wobble isn't really an issue with this front end. On half tons with wide tires I'll set them up with 1.5 to 2 degrees. Camber and toe should be as close to zero as you can get, but on a fresh build the suspension will settle over time and need...
  4. Mechrick

1993 Ranger 4.0L V6 Idle Air Control solenoid not working

Do you have the capability to look at data? If your truck has a MAF with 3 digit codes there should be data output. If so, look at long and short fuel trims at idle.
  5. Mechrick

1994 FORD RANGER 2.3 OBD1 TEST INTERFACE QUESTION

https://fordsix.com/threads/eec-iv-basics.82486/ I wrote that a few years ago to outline the process of pulling codes in obd1 Fords. The pigtail should be part of the same harness as the main connector but be aware Ford used the same connector shell for the diagnostic connector for abs and...
  6. Mechrick

Yep, caps are bad. It's possible to source tantalum replacements that would last longer. They are polarized, if you give it a go make sure you solder them in the right way...
  7. Mechrick

The IAC is a normally closed device. The PCM will ground it to open with a variable duty cycle square wave signal. Sounds like the ground side from the PCM is shorted directly to ground, either in the harness or the PCM pin itself. You could try clipping the wire right at the PCM and see if the...
  8. Mechrick

Did you check the voltages with the IAC plugged in?
  9. Mechrick

2.3L ('83-'97) Loss of power/Spark advance/ABS light. True definition of insanity.

The RABS connector is on the right side off the dash around the kick panel. Should be a black wire with an orange stripe. Grounding it will flash codes. Some RABS setups won't store fault codes when cycling the key off. You may have to drive it long enough to get the RABS lamp on, then ground...
  10. Mechrick

May 2024 Truck of The Month Nominations

Actually started life as a 2.8L. The 2.3L is what I had in the shed to revive it!
  11. Mechrick

Rick's 5.0/C6 swap 1985 BII

Mustang convertible mounts did the trick.
  12. Mechrick

89 B2 diesel build thread

Watching this thread. Does the OM-617 fit behind the radiator with a mechanical fan? -Curious to see what MPG you get with it.
  13. Mechrick

2.5L ('98-'01) 2.5l bearing clearances

Most Ford engines before the Modular family run main/rod bearing clearances around .0008"-.0015". On a performance build for the street, the loose end of that specification is better. Note, end play is the term for the forward/aft clearance of the crankshaft. That spec is .003"-.008". The above...
  14. Mechrick

2.3L ('83-'97) Camshaft help!

I assume the shims are needed because the base circle changed. I would assemble a few valves in the head with a fixed HLA (gut it and stack washers in the body of the lifter until when assembled, the follower just touches the valve tip). Rotate the cam carefully by hand and see if the retainer...
  15. Mechrick

2.3L ('83-'97) Electric fan conversion questions

Four cylinder Mustangs came from the factory with an electric fan. You would have to build a circuit to turn it on with engine temp or A/C on, but that's how I would do it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad