• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Mach1run

1. Would it fit?

So I have a 1997 Ranger 4 cyl that broke a timing belt and we have never been able to get to fire since replacing it. I also have a 1993 302 f150 that has front end damage, enough its not worth the cost of repair. The trans was recently rebuilt before it got wrecked and I have the engine...
  2. 2.3L ('83-'97) Popping from exhaust but will not fire when cranked.

Nuts. will have to double check spark then get a compression gauge and check that. I was sure my timing was jacked. Never the easy fix for me lol.
  3. 2.3L ('83-'97) Popping from exhaust but will not fire when cranked.

There must be something else I am missing. This afternoon I pulled the plug on number 1 and set tdc by feel again. Then took the balancer off to see the shaft and crank sprocket. The key way is at 12 and I would be hard pressed to get the other pair of timing marks closer. It didn't look...
  4. 2.3L ('83-'97) Popping from exhaust but will not fire when cranked.

I hope the key hasn't sheared. But that sounds reasonable as to why I cant get this. Might also explain why everyone keeps saying it doesn't sound like it is turning fast enough. The shaft is turning inside the gear and the gear is turning slower than the shaft if the key broke inside? And it...
  5. 2.3L ('83-'97) Popping from exhaust but will not fire when cranked.

Stupid question ... I dont have the i take tube on. Is that gonna affect getting it to start? I know there are a couple sensors there.
  6. 2.3L ('83-'97) Popping from exhaust but will not fire when cranked.

So I almost had it I think. I set it to tdc with a straw through the spark plug hole. Got my timing marks on other 2 gear dang near dead on. Tried it and it sounded like it was gonna go then nothing. Put a wrench on crank and spun the crank until cam and oil marks lined back up then popped...
  7. 2.3L ('83-'97) Popping from exhaust but will not fire when cranked.

Brand new belt, not broken. Front cover still open so I can see what is going on. Is that what 180 out would sound like? The cam gear and crankshaft were dead on this last time. Oil pump gear may be a tooth clockwise. Because of the ribs one the belt we had to pick either on clockwise or one...
  8. 2.3L ('83-'97) Popping from exhaust but will not fire when cranked.

Still battling this 1997 Ranger to get it started again. I am about to have to just have it taken to a shop :( Timing belt shredded on Christmas Eve so we had to get a new one. Got the new one on and had some more mechanically inclined help getting it set right. Now when we crank it we get an...
  9. 2.3L ('83-'97) Crankshaft Position Sensor replacement.

1997 2.3 2WD Timing belt broke while son was driving home Christmas Eve. Towed it home and got the belt replaced. Crank but no fire. Got a TDC tool to make sure I had it set correctly on the compression stroke and all good there. Checked for spark on with one of the plug in lights. It does...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad