• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by cahman

1. Manual Trans Radiator Question

Thanks for your insights everybody! Pretty sure I was dealing with a "one design fits every application" for the radiator/transcooler, but wanted to be certain before shelling out the clams. I swapped out the radiator yesterday. I was going to plug the transcooler ports with a couple of bolts...
  2. Manual Trans Radiator Question

Hello All! I have a 1998 Ranger 2.5L (the "big boy" Lima!) 2WD with manual trans. The radiator is cracked. Looking at RockAuto and the parts stores, the only radiators I can find have integral trans cooler. My current, cracked radiator does NOT have a trans cooler. Few Questions: 1) Does...
  3. Replacing 4R44E: Additional Sensors on New Unit

Just wanted to close the loop: Swapped in the 5R44E. Left the ISS and OSS unhooked. I used the DTR that came on the 5R44E. On a 20 minute test drive: shifts were good, every range on the selector functioned like it should, no OD shift issues. YMMV Additional Notes: This is a pain to swap...
  4. Replacing 4R44E: Additional Sensors on New Unit

Thanks for your replies! I also have a 99 ranger 3.0 4WD. I went to replace the DTR sensor on it. I ordered the "4 speed trans" sensor from Rock auto (pictured below) However this transmission, as well as the 98 and 03 trans from the first post, have the "5 speed trans" DTR as in this...
  5. Replacing 4R44E: Additional Sensors on New Unit

Transmission went out in my 1998 3.0 Ranger. I'm swapping it with one from a newer ranger ('03 I think). I believe it is a 5R44E, although my understanding is it should interchange. The new unit has two additional connectors on it. Both are two pin jobbers. In the picture: new tranny in...
  6. Highway 4wd low

Thanks everyone for your replies. Here's the latest: Yesterday I gave my brother a wrench and sent him under the truck. I showed him the parts of the drive train, how they worked, and explained why running 4x4 on dry pavement is a bad idea. And why running at highway speeds in low range is a...
  7. Highway 4wd low

4.10 gears 30.5" tires (245/75/16) It usually sits right around 2k @ 55mph. So 2k * 2.48 gets ~4900 rpm. I'm assuming the torque convert still locks up in 4low; I've never had cause to find out. If he was speeding 65 or so, he might have bounced the rev limiter. But regardless, how can...
  8. Highway 4wd low

Through a convoluted series of events that I don't fully understand, my brother drove my ranger about 6 miles on the highway (dry pavement) in 4wd low. I'm assuming at regular highway speed (55'ish miles per hour) but details are sketchy. Me: Didn't you notice it was in 4wd low?!?! Him...
  9. Replace 4r44e with 5r44e

Hello TRS! Long time listener first time caller. I have a 98 Ranger 3.0 w/ 4r44e automagic. Theoretically, can I replace the 4r44e with a later model, say 2004, 5r44e? I'm not talking about changing the pcm, or anything else, just the physical transmission. My understanding is the 5r44e...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad