• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

"White Lighting" Daily Driver 05 Ranger

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
OK been meaning to make this thread for while didn't know a good place to post it up so here it goes!

Background:
I had a 94 mustang that broke on me so i was car-less and broke (from owning a mustang) and a friend of mine told me that he was gonna donate the truck because he couldn't get it to start. After 5 min of looking at it, figured out it was the Emergency Fuel Cut-off switch that was bad. So he gave me the truck for free, all i had to do was buy a new switch. So after he drive me down to Ford for a new switch i plugged it in and I got myself my first truck for $125!!!! :yahoo:

The Plan:
Coming from a 94 mustang my first thought was to do a 5.0l swap and make it a race truck. Then i was thinking i have a truck so i need to make it an off-road truck! After alot of thinking and alot of suggestions i figured i would stick to my original plan because it is a 3.0L engine with a Manual trans and RWD. it would be much better to make it a street truck. AND SO IT BEGAN!!!!

The Day I Got It:

Completely stock truck. The only work i had to do to it was the Cuttoff switch, the oil, and the belt.

Last edited:

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
The next thing was now that i have a truck to bring home a 5.0L!!!!

Once i got that bad boy home and started ripping it apart i bought all new parts for it. I ordered AFR 165cc renegade heads, E303 cam, cobra intakes, 24 lb injectors and calibrated maf. Still need to get the bottom end cleaned and checked and re assembled before i can put it all together. (That's my winter project)

Last edited:

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
After some time going by with waiting for parts and slowly taking apart the motor. I decided i needed new tires, so i called my pal up who works and the family owned tire shop and he hooked me up with some white wall tires that would look sick on the white truck. once we put the tires on the rusted beat up steel wheels just weren't cutting it anymore so drove down to home depot and bought some $2 can matte black outdoor metal paint and went to town!

Before and after on the wheels:

before:

After:

Last edited:

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
AMAZING IMPROVEMENT! or at least i think so!!!! but as the rest of us truck people know the project is NEVER done!!! More time goes by and i just want more on it. While sitting in a parking lot i see this white f150 drive by me with a black two tone on it, and i thought HOLY CRAP! lets do it and see how it looks. So minutes later i end up back at home depot buying 3 cans of black plasti-dip and painters tape and here are the results of that!

Taping process:

The result:

Last edited:

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
I just changed the brakes, oil, and wipers for the winter. the rest of the fun stuff will come in the spring. Planning on doing a 4/5 lowering kit with new shocks because it has 127k miles on this truck and never changed the shocks. Have to tint the cab, 15% on the rear and 30% on the side. need to fix my grey front bumper, and want to get smoked headlights and i want to get a new grill for the truck. I want the front to look like this

but i cant seem to find the t-rex grill for an 05 ranger and i want it to say ranger instead of t-rex. anyone know where i could get a grill like that for my truck?!

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I want to like this truck, but all I see are red x's when I try to look at the pics.

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
all of them are red x's? works on the multiple computers i have signed in with.... :( i want my pictures to be seen!!!

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
All but the very last pic with the prerunner are red x's. I've tried on multiple devices. Maybe it's just me though?

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
ill try a different uploading site. give it a second here.

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
hallelujah. Nice clean slate you have!

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Thank you! i love the progress on it so far! cant wait until the V8 goes in it!!!

428CJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do you already have the cam? If not, I would switch to a TFS 1 or 2 cam, or an anderson cam, over the alphabet cam. The alphabet cams are pretty outdated and their are much better OTS cams available for not much, if at all, more money. I think I would have gone with AFR 185's or Trickflow 170's over the AFR 165's but they are still a good head and a HUGE improvement over the stock e7's. You may need to notch the pistons for the AFR's because they have inline valves. Also, I would have that gt40 lower TMoss ported because it will be the choking point in your combo.

Should be a fun combo for sure, and you have already done some great stuff with it. I was just offering my $.02 as a previous mustang owner aswell lol.

BigggT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Manual
Yes i already have the cam and i got a great deal on it so i was like screw it ill try it out. and the AFR 185 are for a 351 not a 302 to my understanding. I have heard nothing but AMAZING things about the heads so i had to get them again as a great deal. My lower intake is already ported the upper is not, was told its better that way. My choking point SHOULD be the cam. But i still want the car streetable so if i go any heavier of a cam it wont be fun on the street anymore. But ALWAYS room for upgrades! haha

428CJ

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I understand about the cam, you can't argue with a good deal lol. The 185's will work just fine on a 302. Any sbf heads are virtually interchangeable, regardless of whether its a 8.2 or 9.5 inch deck. The only difference between 8.2 and 9.5 decks are that the lower intakes must be different to account for the taller deck. The 165's are definitely a good head though, just a bit smaller than the others, but I would definitely be careful with PTV clearance. The lower intake being ported already is a plus too.

What's nice about the newer cams is that they are even more streetable than the alphabet cams, but provide more power everywhere. They won't always sound as mean at idle though lol. With your combo, you might make 300 rwhp too. It'll be close with the cam/intake, but good luck man, I'll be watching this thread. Will definitely be fun on the street!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals