• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 1987 2.9 starter relay harness question

I noticed a broken wire coming off my starter relay. It’s yellow off the relay then splits into 3 fusible links which are all 20ga. And then all 3 wires go into main harness.The broken/green crusty wire looks to be brown with white stripe? I can’t find this wire in the wiring diagrams, can...
  2. Thermostat housing still leaking

I just got done doing a new water pump, thermostat and new radiator. Always had trouble with the oring sealing on thermostat housing. Sure enough slapped it together using permeates thermostat and water pump gasket maker on outside flange away from oring sealing surface followed instructions on...
  3. Thermostat gasket

The Hayes manual shows a thermostat oring and gasket being used on the 2.9. I was wondering if the factory service manual shows the same? I’ve always had a problem with the waterneck leaking eventually when just using an oring.
  4. Wanted 1987 ranger 4x4 parts

I’m looking for some disc brake dust shields for 1st gen ranger with 4 wheel drive. Think it’s a Dana 28. Also need a turn signal switch. Im in Connecticut,thanks!
  5. Anyone in Connecticut recommend an alignment shop?

Trying to get my 1987 ranger 4x4 aligned but nobody seems to know how to align it. Stock height, all new shocks, tie rods,ball joints, radius arm bushings etc.
  6. 1987 spindle dust shield

In the process of doing ball joints on my 87 and the spindle dust shield is completely mangled and rotted. Is this a critical part? It seems like the part is discontinued and there is no wrecking yards near me that have anything older than 2000. Also anyone know of anywhere to get brake rotor...
  7. For Sale Fm145 parts, 2.3 bellhousing,BW 1350 transfer case

Swapped transmissions in my ranger earlier this year, I have some leftover parts. I was told the bellhousing was off a 2.3l, and I’m pretty sure the transfer case is a BW1350.was told it was working. It was attached to the fm145 I swapped in my ranger and that worked fine… $25 for the...
  8. Wanted Wanted lift coils,shocks

Looking for a set of 1.5" or 2" lift coils and shocks for front of my 1987 ranger 4x4. Local to ct would be great, just seeing what's out there
  9. 2.9 pilot bearing

Just looking for conformation that the pilot bearing does in fact get installed in the flywheel. I just pulled my fm145 that failed due to an inputshaft bearing and there was a pilot bearing in crank shaft and none in the flywheel, flywheel just had that counter bore. Which is now too large a...
  10. Wanted WTB FM145 5 speed 4x4 trans

I'm in Connecticut I need a fm145 4x4 transmission. For my 87 2.9 ranger. Anyone have a decent one? Thanks
  11. Fm145 question

My fm145 started making noise in my 87 ranger 4x4. Changed the fluid, it was down about 3/4 quart. That didn't help much. Did the 2.3 4x4 rangers use same tranny? I found one near me, was thinking I can just swap bellhousing? I imagine the bellhousing is removable, would this work?
  12. Radius arm and axle pivot bushings

Just finished replacing the radius arm bushings and axle pivot bushings on my 1987 ranger 4x4. I torqued the radius arm bushing nut while the truck was jacked up, my service manual didn't specify on whether to torque it with wheels on the ground. Did I do that wrong? Also had no way of flaring...
  13. Fm145 fluid change

I have a 87 ranger with the fm145 probably over due for a fluid change and I'd like to replace the pan gasket while I'm at it, having trouble finding a gl4 rated 80w-90 gear oil. Can anyone recommend a gear oil that will not harm the syncros? When I brought the truck to the shop for ball joints...
  14. Help finding a gl4 gear oil for fm146

Having a hard time finding a gl4 spec in 80w, napa sells a 85w-90 gl4 but might be a little thick? I can also find valvoline 80w-90 but it's gl4,gl5 spec and says limited slip on the bottle? What are you folks running in fm145,fm146 manual transmissions?
  15. Coolant leak at thermostat housing

Noticed I have a slow coolant leak at the thermostat housing of my 2.9. If I remember correctly there was no gasket just an oring that goes around the t stat? Was looking through my toolbox the other day and found a new paper gasket, should I use that instead of the oring? Also should I go with...
  16. 87 stopped running while driving now no spark?

My 87 Ranger died on me last week, was driving down the road and it just cut out. Pulled over and tried to start it again, it started after a couple minutes then when I put it in gear and let off the clutch it died again. Got it towed home, checked for spark and it has none but it's getting...
  17. 1989 BII computer

I replaced my 2.9 a few years ago with a 88 and up 2.9 so it's missing the egr stuff. I've had no real problems so far except it pings under load. Would a computer out of a 1989 Bronco II with a 2.9 be a direct swap? Both my truck and the bronco are 4 wheel drive and 5 speeds, my truck has a/c...
  18. need help finding door hinge pin and bushing kit

tried rock auto,autozone, advance and some other parts stores and nobody lists a door hinge pin and bushing kit for a 1987 ford ranger. My drivers door is sagging and i'd like to fix it. anybody replace there hinge pins on a early ranger or bronco II and have a part number that will definitely...
  19. 87 ranger coil spring insulators or isolators..

I have a 1987 ford ranger super cab 4x4. Does anyone know the part number for the coil spring isolators that go under the front coils? Auto parts stores around here have no clue what i'm talking about and say they don't show any available.. Looking for stock rubber replacements or possibly the...
  20. 1987 2.9 egr tube

When I swapped 2.9's a few years back I chucked the drivers side manifold off my 87 motor and used the manifold off the 89 with the egr block off. So I've been running it with a bypassed egr, I want to reinstall the egr because I saved most of the parts and it should help my gas mileage a...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad