• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Sidetracker

Ignition switch trouble (electrical gremlin in the starting system)

Hey, some of you may remember me from a previous discussion. I've been trying to debug my starting system in my 2001 Ford Ranger. I bought it recently and it worked for a couple weeks then started having difficulty starting. Finally it wouldn't start and I was up in the woods I wasn't in a place...
  2. Sidetracker

Trouble with clutch safety switch bypass

UPDATE: maybe I was getting false readings from some other fuse (28?) Either way, I ended up diagnosing it again and put a test light to the red/lt blue wire coming out of the ignition switch. No power on start. I then tried sending power through fuse 24 from the battery and it cranked over. So...
  3. Sidetracker

I should also let you know (maybe I should have let you know sooner) the previous owner replaced the steering wheel and just cut all but one wire (black) going into the ignition. Also I don't know if this would affect the Anti theft system but, the previous owner also replaced the old engine...
  4. Sidetracker

Sorry for the late response. I pulled fuse 28 out and sure enough there is now 0 v on fuse 24 in ON and also in START (with fuse 28 in, I am measuring 5v when the key is ON and also START)
  5. Sidetracker

5v are still there with all the relays out.:unsure:
  6. Sidetracker

I'm sure I spliced pink and pink and white...
  7. Sidetracker

So, I should be seeing 4.8v on fuse 24 and at my clutch bypass? If so, then the problem is downstream? Starter relay? BTW, thank you so much for all the help and information!
  8. Sidetracker

So you are saying that the PATS system is preventing the circuit from grounding? What does PATS stand for? Is that part of the anti theft system? How do i fix this?
  9. Sidetracker

I'm an electrician, low voltage for us 50v or something means that it's like a loose or lost neutral. Should I recheck my grounds? Where? Main terminal?
  10. Sidetracker

I tried again. Maybe I didn't have a good connection the first time. I was getting 4.8 volts at the fuse even when the key was in ON position. The battery has 12v it had more earlier, it is fine just getting low from not running... 4.8b is also how much I got at the clutch (Pink and Pink/white)...
  11. Sidetracker

12v should be showing if I stuck the two tips of my multimeter in the two sides of the fuse spot? Or do I need to ground one end?
  12. Sidetracker

It turns just fine, perfectly normal feeling... and (as said above) it has started before... also, the guy I bought it from said New starter, new clutch, and new ignition switch in the add. He didn't save the receipts and (because hitting it worked once...) I think the starter was bad... so I...
  13. Sidetracker

You were right, the theft light comes on like a lot of lights and then turns off... neither fuse is blown but I stuck my multimeter in either side of #24 inside after removing the 7.5 fuse I got 0 volts even when the key was in START. Should I have measured 12v? Maybe something is wrong with the...
  14. Sidetracker

I don't know if there is an added alarm system. I'm not sure. I bought the truck recently but the guy had the title. He seemed very legit. I'm just going off memory, I'll let you know what exactly goes on with the THEFT light and remote unlock etc.
  15. Sidetracker

Fuse #24 inside and #11 outside are both fine. There is actually a theft light on the dash. It's not flashing but it is on. I just thought that it was normal (lots of lights turn on and then off after it is started) how do I fix that? One place online said turn the key to ON and then OFF 8...
  16. Sidetracker

Thank you, I'll try these things
  17. Sidetracker

Recently my 2002 ranger has been having trouble starting It would make no noises when I turned the key to start. I would release the clutch and engage it and try again and sometimes it would work. Then one time I absolutely couldn't start it until I banged on the starter with a rock. It then...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad