• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. For Sale FS *Price drop* 1988 Black Ranger XLT 4WD Auto Rare Eddie Bauer Edition

Can't even believe i'm doing this right now. But, wife and I have our first baby on the way, and we just need to get another vehicle thats more friendly to the infant-lifestyle; as i'm sure plenty of ya'll are familiar with. Long story short.. bought this truck from a dealer in illinois about a...
  2. Trouble starting. Battery not to blame, help diagnosing sound (video attached)

Hey all! Just randomly my truck won't start. I hooked it up to a 6amp / 12v charger for 24 hrs and battery appears to be full and ready, i get all lights at full capacity but when i go to crank, i get silence and a bit of a crying noise? Any help appreciated! Link to video below...
  3. Just started using A/C as it’s warming up, and noticing interesting behavior on belts / pulleys. Is this normal?

What brought my attention to it was when I’m idling and the A/C is on, i can hear a very prominent click and the idle drops, then click, and it goes back to normal. This doesn’t immediately happen when i press the A/C button, but only when the A/C is on. It looks like the pulley is seizing in...
  4. 88 Ranger Dash Speaker grill fitment issues?

Hey all! So I've replaced the rear speakers in my 88 ranger super cab. I know the dash ones need a custom bracket to fit new speakers, which I made, but nose of the tweeter still protrudes about 1/4" above the dash making the grilles not fit back into place. I was wondering, if anyone had any...
  5. Trying to identify my lift situation so I can replace shocks / springs. Pics attached.

Trying to identify my suspension lift (was done by PO) situation / calculate current lift height so I can know what shocks to order. Looks like blocks, but maybe added leafs too. Not sure. Just wanna know how much i am above stock. Any help very much appreciated! 1988 Ranger 4x4 2.9
  6. Getting 97psi fuel pressure ... help

Been doin all the things to get truck runnin smooth. Vacuum lines replaced, gaskets replaced, cleaned IAC, and finally got a fuel pressure tester and it’s reading about 70psi in key on engine off, and about 97+ Engine on!!! i was certain it was the FPR so i just replaced that and it did...
  7. Surging Idle help - Video attached

Just wondering where to begin diagnostics here. I have a vacuum tester and fuel pressure tester, but don't have the fitting for the schrader valve at the moment. Can fuel pressure be tested elsewhere? Idle was great for quite some time, wasn't an issue until just the other day the gauge stopped...
  8. Bout to throw up trying to find timing marks and understand this procedure... help please

I've googled until my eyes fell into the back of my head and watched so many absolutely worthless youtube videos my stomach turned with nausea so here I am posting in dire need of an educated push in the right direction. I'm trying to rule out timing as one of my power delivery issues, so i...
  9. Help diagnosing 4WD noises!

Hello all! So i've been doing a bunch of repairs to the truck (1988 4x4 2.9 Ranger) and most recently, i did the one piece driveshaft swap. All went well there, and replaced all driveshaft u-joints in the process (2 in the front shaft, 2 in the rear). Did not change axle u-joints...yet. This...
  10. Help trying to remove rear (2nd) fuel tank on 88 ranger?

Hi all. Been in the process of about a million repairs, and during this time i've noticed my rear fuel tank leaking. My ranger has the dual tank option. It has a pretty thick skid guard protecting it, but can't for the life of me see any bolts pertaining to it or the tank itself. I've searched...
  11. Help finding correct U-Joints on 88 Ranger 4WD

Hey everyone. I've exhausted myself trying to find and order the right U-Joints, and when i finally thought I got it right, they were wrong. So to try and avoid another incorrect order could someone please give me a hand with getting these sizes right. Attached are pictures of the driveshaft(s)...
  12. Dealership service quote, advice needed!

Hey all! So I've been having fuel issues w my truck (88 XLT 2.9) and its not passing emissions, and instead of just goin in and replacing 25 things at random i figured i'd have the Ford dealer here scope it out. So while it was in there, i figured i'd also have them do a full assessment on the...
  13. Replacing speakers in 88' XLT. Curious wiring, looking for advice.

Hey all! Just went to replace my speakers in the truck, and upon removal of the factory rear speakers, I noticed this interesting wiring decision. Wanted to see if everything was kosher to move forward w the install. I figured there would just be the two wires, but there seems to be an added...
  14. Mysterious unplugged wire harnesses in engine bay... 88 2.9L

So, I was running a wire through the firewall yesterday and noticed two separate wire harnesses / clips not connected to anything. Wondered if any of you wizards would be able to shed some light on it. Truck is 88 4WD XLT 2.9L. I have been having issues with power delivery, but figured it was...
  15. 88 Ranger Rear Axle / Drum Wet, fluid on ground

Hey everyone! Well, this is my first post here. I have an 88 Ranger XLT 4WD, and came out to the truck this morning to small puddle of oil on the ground under the driver side axle / brake / wheel area. Pic attached. It all looks pretty wet. I searched and found a couple possible solutions but...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad