• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by Plasso

1. Compression testing

I got this kit for $95 and it worked well on my 3.0 engine OTC 5605 Deluxe Compression Tester Kit with Carrying Case for Gasoline Engines https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K2FSXI I have one cylinder with compression of just 35lbs. Unfortunately I have had to keep driving it for a while...
  2. Looking for NEW manufactured 3.0l cylinder heads

I'm in the market for the same thing. I also need to make sure I can get the right valves, guides, etc. I'm looking at RockAuto, they had 2 options last I checked.
  3. MAB3L, the most reasonable truck on the road!

I'll be following with interest. I have a 3.0 also and I've done a few mods to increase torque and MPG. When looking at the cost of an upgrade, I consider that I hope to get 100K more miles out of the truck, and then I amortize the cost of the upgrade vs the cost of gas at about $4.50 per...
  4. 3.0 Cylinder 4 Slight Miss / Rough Idle Diagnosis

I just went through very similar symptoms with my 2002 3.0 engine (140K miles). It misfired when idling, but only after warming up. After replacing plugs, wires, etc. I then ran a lot of injector cleaner through the engine. After some research, I finally did a compression test and had...
  5. 2002 V6 3.0 Engine Project

I'm learning. I didn't even know about X or H exhaust. Thanks for the tip. My plan will be to find a good muffler shop to run a new exhaust and help me figure out where to put the O2 sensor. This comment has me considering an engine replacement. I could keep driving the current engine...
  6. 2002 V6 3.0 Engine Project

Interesting idea. Looks like Gibson sells dual exhausts that start from a single pipe coming from the cat. I don't think that kind of exhaust gives an advantage over their single-pipe tuned exhaust...
  7. Grandpa's ranger

That brings back memories. My first vehicle at 16 was a 1988 red Ford Ranger, XLT 4x4. It had been my grandfather's. After he died, my grandma sold the truck to me for less than it was worth, and I made payments to her every month until it was paid off. I learned to drive a stick shift in her...
  8. 2002 V6 3.0 Engine Project

I will try switching to synthetic oil. I already replaced wires and plugs and ran a lot of cleaner thorough the injectors. It runs OK above 2000 RPM, but it it idles very rough after it warms up. It only misfires when it is idling. I'm not sure what is going on exactly, but I know the...
  9. 2002 V6 3.0 Engine Project

I'm starting to appreciate this. The truck accelerates nicely when shifting gears up in the 4K range. The last time I owned the truck, I was afraid to go much above 3000RPM for some reason. It runs about 2500 RPM at 75 mph. I'm still under the assumption that keeping it at a low RPM is best...
  10. 2002 V6 3.0 Engine Project

That is exactly it. I want this truck like it was new, but even better. Obviously, it won't be like new, but it is getting to be very nice and I really enjoy driving it. It has already consumed about $6K of my take-home pay, so what is another $2.6K, especially if I can add 30 or 40 HP...
  11. 2002 V6 3.0 Engine Project

Exactly 22 years ago, I bought a brand new 2002 Ford Ranger 4x4 XLT extended cab 5-speed manual, off-road package using my brother-in-law's A plan. It is a 3.0L with a 4.10 rear axle and torsion bar suspension. It was a nice truck, but honestly, I was disappointed. It was a dog when it came...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad