• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by PANTERA

1. Growling increases as speed increases

Hey all, Growling noise underneath which increases as speed increases, and doesn't go away if I give or let off the gas. I checked the drive shaft, and there is a little play in the U-joints. Also when I twist the shaft, there is some play in the t-case and differential yokes. Is that normal...
  2. Mechanical Oil Pressure Gauge

Hi All, What is all involved installing a mechanical gauge? Got a Sunpro gauge, but dont know how to hook it up to the motor. Motor is ticking loudly at freeway speeds, but slowly goes away when I get to town. I would like to see what sort of pressure I'm getting. Hoping it's not a failing oil...
  3. Engine light on and erratic oil pressure

Hey all, I changed the thermostat today, and after I took it for a 15 min drive. On the way home, the engine light came on, and noticed the oil pressure gauge bouncing around. I've been told that these gauges aren't really reliable, but the 18 years I've owned this truck, never seen this happen...
  4. Leaf spring replacement

Hey all, I have a broken leaf spring on my 92 Ranger 4WD, which currently has a 3 leaf set up. My question is, will a replacement from a 86 2WD with a 4 leaf set up work on my truck, or does it have to come from another 4WD? I do plan on replacing both sides just to be safe. Thanks, Jason
  5. Busted stud on front shock mount

Hey all, Replacing the front shocks today and after several applications of PB Blaster, I still managed to snap the bolt off the stud located on the axle. Anybody know of a replacement or at least a way to fix this? Gotta love the Wisconsin winters!!! Thanks, Jason
  6. Fuel gauge question

Hey all, Where is the sensor for the fuel gauge located? The reason I asked is because I notice that when the gauge is close to empty, and I shut the truck off for a bit, the gauge moves to damn near a quarter tank! Is this common? I'm guessing that when the truck is off, the system loses...
  7. Vibration/humming consistant with speed.

My 92 Ranger 4X4 just started doing this vibration and humming that's consistent with vehicle speed. I jacked the vehicle up and checked the wheels for play, drive shaft U-joints for play and checked the steering as well. All seem good. I replaced the ball joints and axle shaft u-joints this...
  8. Superwinch hubs noisy when free

Hey all, Replaced my auto hubs quite a few years ago with Superwinch hubs. The only issue I've had was annoying rattling noise going over road bumps when unlocked, like somethings loose. In the past I've just kept them locked, but doesn't that wear out the axle shaft u-joints faster? Is there a...
  9. Cracked filler neck.

My fuel filler neck has a crack near the frame. Usually if I fill the tank, I'll get a small puddle of gas underneath the truck. Is there any "cheap" way to fix this? The crack is about an inch or two long. BTW, its a 92 Ranger. Thanks.
  10. Lifter ticking on the highway

Got a 92 Ranger with 91000 miles. (Local driver) Recently when driving on the highway for a period of time (engine is around 3000 RPM) a lifter on the driver side will start ticking bad until I'm able to drive at a lower RPM (say around 2000) and the ticking will fade away. I'm using 5W30 oil by...
  11. Electrical Drain???

Just replaced a six year old battery. I recharged the old battery, only to have the battery dead the next day (no driving) So after I replaced it I drove to Auto Zone to have the alternator checked, and he told me he cannot check the alternator unless the battery's fully charged, which he said...
  12. Intake manifold gasket replacement

Doing an intake manifold gasket replacement, I noticed small puddle of coolant on top of the engine block. I need a little lesson in 2.9 Liter 101. Is this normal? I'm learning as I go, so please bear with me. Thanks
  13. Tranny clearance around the Y-pipe

The Haynes manual says to remove the exhaust before removing the tranny on V-6 engines. My question is having a 3" body lift on my Ranger (2.9 engine) is it absolutely necessary to remove the exhaust now that I have that clearance between the bell housing and the "tunnel"? I figured if I jack up...
  14. Flywheel, cut down or just replace?

If this questions been in here before, I apologize. Can the flywheel be cut down during the clutch replacement, or would it be wiser to just have a new one installed? I'm looking at this cost wise, but also the longevity of the flywheel is obviously important too. Thanks
  15. 92 2.9 Smell of gas under load?

Recently noticed a smell of gas coming in the cab while accelerating on the highway, but when I pop the hood, I don't notice any fuel leaks anywhere. Also changed the plugs last week, and the bottoms were dry with the usual wear (grey to a brownish color) Also noticed a ticking coming from the...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad