• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Recent content by DeanMoriarty

1. Ok, I'm freaking myself out...

I accidentally came across a thread this morning about the problems with the 4.0 sohc timing chain tensioners... I'm worried that what I thought was an exhaust noise may be the timing chain. Even if it's not, I'm worried I may have to drop a bunch of $$$ to replace it anyway, since it seems like...
  2. Are McQuay-Norris chassis parts any good?

I don't want to go with the Autozone "Durabrand"... and the Moog Ball-joint won't fit the OE control arm... It's the Explorer adjustable arm assembly and ball-joint... I don't want to replace the control arm too. The McQuay-Norris is priced $10 more than the Durabrand and $10 less than the...
  3. This is stupid.

My doors lock automatically when I start the engine, and I hate it. Then... Today, I shut the hood and it caused all the doors to lock?! What the hell? I can see this having a very bad outcome when I'm at the gas station and decide to fill up the windshield washer fluid with the keys in the car.
  4. Torsion bar bolt problem

I changed out the shocks on an 01 Explorer Sport, while it did make a nice difference in the ride, I noticed while I was under there, everything is sitting low on the right side. The right torsion bar adjuster bolt is sticking out an inch or so more than the left. It actually looks like it's...
  5. Should be an easy question...

I'm thinking about replacing the shocks all around in my 01 Explorer sport. It's a pretty bumpy ride now, way worse than my Ranger. I've heard the suspension isn't the best in these things. I don't want a lift and I'm not concerned about being off-road, I just want a bit smoother ride on the...
  6. Please advise...

I have a question, hopefully someone can help me with. I just bought an 01 Explorer. I noticed that after I shut the engine off, I have pinging (Like someone flicking a turkey pan) sounds coming from the exhaust for a few minutes. This didn't worry me much, but yesterday I noticed it's making...
  7. Exhaust ping?

I noticed a pinging sound... sounds like bb's hitting a foil pan for a few minutes after shutting the truck off, coming from underneath from the exhaust. I figured this was just the exhaust or cat cooling... Then today when I was in a drive through (and had a wall for the sound to bounce off) I...
  8. 2001 Explorer

I bought that 01 Explorer I was contemplating. I'll post some pics later, if it ever stops raining. I'd like to put some fog lights on it but I'm not sure the best way to go about this. Should I go factory, or are aftermarket ones good? I've found some cheap ones on Fleabay, but buying certain...
  9. Advice needed fast, thanks.

I think I settled on a daily driver to buy, but I have a few issues and could really use you guy's advice. It's a 2001 Explorer sport 2 door, 135k miles, 4x4, Automatic, Power everything, 4.0 engine. No rust at all, one owner and it's been garaged since she bought it. With the exception of a...
  10. How about this?

http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1025008046.html The guy says the engine, transmission and transfer case have 75k on them and the vehicle itself has 165k on it. Is it a bad idea to consider buying this? Anything I should look for if I go check it out?
  11. Does this look like a deal to you?

Kelley blue book only says it's worth $2,245 from a private seller and $3,500 or so from a dealer, in excellent condition. Thought it'd be worth more if the miles are really that low. http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/1023475758.html
  12. Cold weather hates my clutch?

I'm having an odd problem, at least, it seems odd to me. I'm sure it'll make perfect sense to some of you here though. I've noticed when it's very cold out lately, the truck acts a little weird going into gear, after I get going though, it's fine. A few days ago the temp got down well below...
  13. Bypassing AC compressor

I think my AC compressor has seized, or is in the process of. Turning on the defrost kills the truck at a stop, or causes stalling / power loss when driving. Anyway... I think I'll just bypass it... anything special I need to do besides putting on a shorter belt? Should I actually remove the...
  14. 03 Cavalier

My girl's car threw an evap emissions control code about a month ago. She took it to the shop and they replaced the purge canister solenoid. Now, it's throwing another code, the shop is telling her it's a different evap code and that she needs a fuel tank pressure sensor. She's out of state for...
  15. Grand Am overheating.

Posting this for a friend, sort of. They have a newer model Grand Am, 2000 something... and the thing overheats almost instantly, even on the highway, even with the heater running. The fan is NOT running (a little electric one)... but I'm wondering if that's just part of a larger problem...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad