• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ideas for camping with the Ranger...

gcfishguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I want to get back into some outdoor hobbies I've strayed away from, and am looking for info concerning camping with the Ranger.

I'd like to find a small, slide-in camper but they're going for a fortune, and they're way more stuff then I'd need for myself.

I just want to be able to crawl in the back for the night, and sleep and be dry.

I found lots of info about spending 2 years to build some monstrosity that looks like a 5-start hotel, but that's not what I'm after.

I'm thinking maybe pick up a used fibreglass capper, and build a floor that's flat to put an air mattress on and just high enough to store stuff under. Like just high enough to slide a cooler under....that will give me a place to sleep that's flat, plus I won't lose the storage space to bring stuff with me...

Anyway, if anyone has any links to sites that gives ideas on camping out of the back of your pickup, post up. I'll keep googling.

<><

Later!

strvger

Reaction score
the land of 2 seasons-Winter and getting ready for
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
http://www.livinlite.com/

these are super light weight campers, including slide-ins. they are all tent campers and aluminum construction. no rust ever and no wood to rot ever. we got a small pull behind last fall and love all 580 lbs of it!! honestly, you won't find them much cheaper used as the construction process really has them holding their value.
all the fiberglass ones we found were too close to the limits of our ranger and these seemed perfect for us. good luck to you, and happy camping!!

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you can make a "teardrop" camper out of a cheap 4x8 trailer and some wood. keep the truck for storing stuff.

i've always wanted to take a long box ranger bed, make a trailer out of it, and put one of those really tall "old man" toppers on it (the ones that go about 6" above the truck roof at the back). that would make a really cheap, simple camper.

gcfishguy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
I guess I should clarify.....I'm looking for quick and simple.....it will just be for me to spend the night in when i end up at a good fishing spot and don;t feel like driving home at dark, only to drive back for morning again.

Only needs to be big enough (platform) for myself...and I'll throw a foam pad and sleeping bag down on it.

This guy built what looks like the best solution I've found yet: Linky

I think I'd use plywood for the 'joists', rather than 2x6....a lot lighter and I could make it higher for more storage space underneath.

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have a tent and air mattress specially made for a ranger bed, they fit perfect, easy to set up and take down. Best sleep of my life haha

Ryanbr6

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
The only two things you need on a camping trip with your Ranger:

Tarp
Duct Tape

Now, at this point your asking, "Why, how would i substitute for the duct tape if i dont happen upon any??"

Well, friend, A few heavy books, or that cooler your so fond of just made your tarp roof secure!

86isuzu

TRS Member Since 2003
Supporting Member
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
ASE Certified Tech
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"

trail B2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We used to build a wood frame that extended the same height as the fender all the way along both sides.Then we would cover the frame with plywood just set it on there with carpet and padding on it.We wrapped the side frames with carpet and plywood too.You leave the camper shell and the side frames in then you set the deck in before you go camping.So now you can lay on the top deck and put your camping supplies under the deck that you sleep on that's fender height.Maybe you could get some of those plastic storage containers that barely fit under the deck to keep your camping supplies in.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I slept on the ground with no tent or shelterhalf for ten years when I was in the marines. When it rained, you wrapped a poncho around you. You were tired so you slept even with the skeeters biting your lips and eyelids. A truck cap is a condo.

My dad wants me to build him a teardrop trailer to pull behind his motorcycle. I think those are cool and will do it someday.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

Dweano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
This is cool too!

http://www.jcwhitney.com/inflatable-truck-bed-mattress/p2010992.jcwx?_requestid=2238955

I'm gonna get one and just take off with the boys a few weekends. Just throw in Coleman stove and a lantern in and some sleeping bags and some fishing poles and whalah, instant fun!
This is the exact setup I have, now I will stop saying that haha. But really it is perfect...I would recommend it to anyone

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
This is the exact setup I have, now I will stop saying that haha. But really it is perfect...I would recommend it to anyone
Kool, :icon_thumby:I'm ordering one this week.:icon_bounceblue:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals