• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. 1988 2.9 Electrical Issue?

Watch the video I took on YouTube and tell me what you think. Only does it when cold and used to only do it for a few seconds on first cold start up of the day but I’ve found this winter even after a few minutes of driving when I come to a stop with the lights on and fan blowing hot air it will...
  2. 1988 2.9 At a loss with this cold idle issue

Watch the video I took on YouTube and tell me what you think. Only does it when cold and used to only do it for a few seconds on first cold start up of the day but I’ve found this winter even after a few minutes of driving when I come to a stop with the lights on and fan blowing hot air it will...
  3. Code 18 and 54(the coolant one) when cold rough idle for 30 seconds

Hey guys, since winter started here in AZ my 88 2.9 has rough idle for a short while (longer if it's colder) and then idles fine once warm. If I check KOEO when cold I get these codes 18 and 54. If I check it KOEO when warm it checks out fine. KOER checks out fine as well. I am going to...
  4. Check engine light went on then off code 54

Hi all just replaced motor and tranny. Runs and drives great now but the CEL Came on today very briefly. I checked the codes and all it came back with in koeo was 54 which is the intake air temp sensor. It's a new sensor and has about 50 miles on it. After the CEl came on I did notice that the...
  5. Need a transfer case piece BW1350

I need the piece that connects from the transmission to the front half of the case itself. The piece that hold the seal around the shaft. Mine has a crack although it's not leaking I want to replace it. Anyone have one they wanna sell or can point me in the right direction? It is piece 109 on...
  6. My new to me 88 ranger xlt 4x4

Got it running but a little rough and hot but for a steal (I believe) of only $1,800. I got a new motor and gonna rebuild the tranny. The Tcase needs some freshening up as well but in good condition. All in all this truck is about 85-90% good condition and for under $6k I'll have a like new...
  7. Mystery part! Need help identifying

Ok in the process of removing the 2.9, a4ld transmission and 1350 electric transfer case I found this mystery part on the ground. I didn't think anything of it until I removed the gooey stuff (almost the consistency of the sticky hand toys) and there is a micro chip underneath the goo. I looked...
  8. Do 1988 rangers with 2.9s have check engine lights

As the title says, do they have check engine lights? I've read that only MAF vehicles had them and then I read another thread saying that 88 2.9s do have CEL. Anyways I do have codes on my truck but no check engine light on. Should it be? Need to know before I go to emissions testing.
  9. Calling all 2.9 gurus! 88 ranger idle fluctuation

Last night I took the upper intake off, replaced the plugs (all were BLACK), wires, cap, rotor, cleaned the IAC, intake temp sensor, intake, throttle body, checked for vacuum leaks and assembled it all with new gaskets. Still idles rough jumping between about 900-1400. Still throwing the 41...
  10. 88 ranger 2.9 idles rough

Hi all, The 88 ranger I just picked up is running a little rough. It's throwing codes 10r,41r,13r,77r,74r. I unplugged the o2 sensor and it seemed to idle a lot better. I've looked for vacuum leaks, exhaust leaks, cleaned out the fuel system, and ran sea foam through the brake vacuum hose to...
  11. Where to get a 2.9 or 4.0 long block

Hi all new here. I've called numerous places with no real answers about their long blocks and they want an arm and a leg for them. My question is, who's got a 2.9 with the good heads and is reasonably priced? Also if I can't find a 2.9, what exactly do I need to do for the 4.0?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad