• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Search results

1. Surging Idle When Hot

Hello all, Recently my 4.0 V6 OHV(1996) has been having a "surging" idle only somtimes, and only when its hot, and not in gear(auto). I had a similar problem previously, and it turned out to be an EGR valve gasket, but that threw a code. I ran my codes this morning and it had nothing, not even...
  2. 1996 Trim Levels?

Hello, I am trying to figure out what exactly my trim level is on my truck. It has no Splash/XL/XLT marking on the tailgate or anything. It only says "ranger." I have the supercab 4x4 V6 4.0, and for the life of me can't figure out which trim it is. Is there any easy way to figure out which it...
  3. 1996 4.0 Exhaust Questions

Hello all, I was looking into getting a cat back exhaust kit for my truck. It's the 96, 4.0, super-cab (has the two fold down back seats) 4WD. Are there any you guys would recommend? Or at least brands/websites to look at? Also, is it just unbolt from cat, and whatever other mounts, and bolt...
  4. 96 Ranger Speedometer inaccuracy

Hello all, I have a 96 V6 Ranger(4WD) and the Speedometer is off. Now, when I got it, I was told it isn't due to bigger tires, but I am not certain. The amount the speed is off decreases as I increase speed. For example, 25mph is about 40mph on the speedometer, but 70mph shows as 80 on the...
  5. Stalling and Misfiring

Hello all, My 96 Ford ranger(4x4 4.0 V6) has been having some issues at idle. Even when hot, sometimes when I stop, the RPMs will start bouncing around, and the truck will rock back and forth, and this usually leads to stalling. Now, I've changed the driver's side spark plugs, and I will be...
  6. Can't find a couple things

Hello all, I'm trying to do some maintenance on my 96 Ford Ranger(4x4 4.0 V6). The first thing I'm looking for is the PCV valve. Cant seem to find it. Also, I went under the car looking for the Vehicle Speed Sensor, but I'm not entirely sure which one of the connectors is the VSS. I am looking...
  7. trouble code p1443

Hello all, So yesterday I took my ranger in the mud, and today I got trouble code p1443. I popped my hood and saw that one k the lines to this little black box below the battery was broken. I'm not entirely sure what the line is for or the box itself. I have a picture eof it however. Any help...
  8. High Flow Cats for '96 Ford Ranger

so, I am rather new to the world of auto Parts. I am considering getting high flow cats, but I had a couple questions. First, how many cats do I need to buy? And I live in California, so would it be legal for me to even change them? Also, what effects would it have on MPG/HP? And are there any...
  9. Odd Rubbing Noise after using 4WD

Hello, this is my first post on here. I recently got a 96 v6 4.0 4wd ranger. I took it out into the mud today, it did fantastically. But after I turned off 4WD(and reversed to unlock the hubs) this sound started happening. First, it sounded as if my tire was rubbing on the car. I stopped, got...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad